Brandon Manning suspended 5 AHL games for use of a racial slur toward an opponent

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
He apologized to the person he directed it at. The person accepted the apology. No one else was effected by this. I haven't looked deeply into this, but does anyone know what was even said? 5 game suspension will cost him quite a bit. Saying anything racist is horrible, but people calling for him to banned from the sport and his contract ripped up are out to lunch. Yes this is different than the Bill Peters stuff. From the sounds of that he used it a lot and was totally unapologetic about it. This sounds like some on ice chirping going way wayyyyyy wayyyyyyyyyyy too far. And people need to recognize this isn't like a normal job. This isn't the 9 to 5 job us peons work. Playing in the NHL is totally different that stuff happening in a real work place.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
He apologized to the person he directed it at. The person accepted the apology. No one else was effected by this. I haven't looked deeply into this, but does anyone know what was even said? 5 game suspension will cost him quite a bit. Saying anything racist is horrible, but people calling for him to banned from the sport and his contract ripped up are out to lunch. Yes this is different than the Bill Peters stuff. From the sounds of that he used it a lot and was totally unapologetic about it. This sounds like some on ice chirping going way wayyyyyy wayyyyyyyyyyy too far. And people need to recognize this isn't like a normal job. This isn't the 9 to 5 job us peons work. Playing in the NHL is totally different that stuff happening in a real work place.

You really went a long way to pretend like you aren't trying to mitigate a racist being racist, but it's still pretty obvious that's what you were trying to do. "This isn't a normal job"? Who gives a f***? If anything, he should be held to a higher standard because he's more of an investment than the "peons" you so casually toss aside to trick yourself into thinking you've defeated the "if I did that I'd be fired" argument. The "playing in the NHL is totally different" argument doesn't work when you're talking about using racial epithets against your colleagues. Nice try, but you weren't able to cover up the fact that you're defending a racist.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
What a moron. This dude is almost 30. I mean I get everyone makes mistakes but I still don’t get how people make this one. “Oops I accidentally said something racist” isn’t a good excuse. None of that should be in your vocabulary and therefore shouldn’t just slip out.

2020 and people are still dropping racial slurs. Come on folks. This can’t be that hard to avoid.

Reactions: MXD and GarbageGoal

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
You really went a long way to pretend like you aren't trying to mitigate a racist being racist, but it's still pretty obvious that's what you were trying to do. "This isn't a normal job"? Who gives a ****? If anything, he should be held to a higher standard because he's more of an investment than the "peons" you so casually toss aside to trick yourself into thinking you've defeated the "if I did that I'd be fired" argument. The "playing in the NHL is totally different" argument doesn't work when you're talking about using racial epithets against your colleagues. Nice try, but you weren't able to cover up the fact that you're defending a racist.
Oh it's you. Figured you'd have a response similar to that. Yes lets outcast all of these people from society! That'll make it better!

Not sure where I covered up for him. I think (whatever was said, no one ever knows) racism has no place in the sport nor in society, I just don't really think the answer is to banish these people from their careers unless it is a consistent pattern of the same behavior and they never learn.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Oh it's you. Figured you'd have a response similar to that. Yes lets outcast all of these people from society! That'll make it better!

Not sure where I covered up for him. I think (whatever was said, no one ever knows) racism has no place in the sport nor in society, I just don't really think the answer is to banish these people from their careers unless it is a consistent pattern of the same behavior and they never learn.

No one said a damn word about banishing anyone from society. You simply realize you have an incredibly feeble position and need to construct a strawman to try to get out of it. If you really believe that racism has no place in sport or society you wouldn't misconstrue a hockey player possibly being released with being "banished." You'd recognize it as a reaction to a type of behavior that has no place in sport or society and that should, therefore, be punished.

Here's an idea: if you don't want to come across as the person who defends racists, don't make up bogus shit to try to act like other people are out here trying to lynch him but not for your heroic hot takes.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
From now on, just apologize. No suspensions for anything.

Right? Just apologize, your white knights can talk about how your poor behavior has no place in society but also shouldn't really be punished too severely, and everyone can just move along because f*** it nothing really matters anymore.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Right? Just apologize, your white knights can talk about how your poor behavior has no place in society but also shouldn't really be punished too severely, and everyone can just move along because **** it nothing really matters anymore.

If he gets released he should rescind his apology because what's the point, right?

Reactions: ThirdManIn

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
No one said a damn word about banishing anyone from society. You simply realize you have an incredibly feeble position and need to construct a strawman to try to get out of it. If you really believe that racism has no place in sport or society you wouldn't misconstrue a hockey player possibly being released with being "banished." You'd recognize it as a reaction to a type of behavior that has no place in sport or society and that should, therefore, be punished.

Here's an idea: if you don't want to come across as the person who defends racists, don't make up bogus **** to try to act like other people are out here trying to lynch him but not for your heroic hot takes.
Uh I mean what do you think it means when someone is banished from their career? When someone loses their career how do they survive and pay the bills? I am not talking about losing a job, if his contract was voided over this how would he ever find another job? That is basically making them an outcast to society. I just think there is room for forgiveness which this other player gave. He made a horrible mistake and owned up to it and went over to talk to the person effected to apologize. I don't think it is a career ending offense, that's all, sue me.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Uh I mean what do you think it means when someone is banished from their career? When someone loses their career how do they survive and pay the bills? I am not talking about losing a job, if his contract was voided over this how would he ever find another job? That is basically making them an outcast to society. I just think there is room for forgiveness which this other player gave. He made a horrible mistake and owned up to it and went over to talk to the person effected to apologize. I don't think it is a career ending offense, that's all, sue me.

OK first of all, you're basing your entire contrarian position on this assumption that losing his "career" as an AHLer is going to make him an outcast everywhere he goes from that point, on. That's absurd. Racists go on to find jobs all of the time. Maybe he could be a police officer.

Second, you are free to have your opinion that this isn't a career-ending offense, but when you begin to exaggerate the claims made by the side you're, for reasons beyond my understanding, opposing, it moves from simply having a contrary opinion to constructing fallacious arguments to defend someone.

Why construct fallacious arguments? Because you have nothing else. You don't feel right just saying "he apologized and the person against whom he used a racial slur accepted the apology, so it should be OK now" so you have to invent this raving mad mob clamoring for his life to be completely destroyed to go along with it to make it seem like you're actually taking the compassionate position. It's a crock of shit.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017

When someone is fired, from any walk of life. They don't just die. They get a new job. Maybe he could be a car salesman? Work Costco or Amazon, Drive uber?

If a Nurse, or Janitor said something similar, I'm going to guess they'd be fired. They'd also have to find a new job somewhere, maybe it would be in their desired career field, maybe not.

Reactions: RadekBong

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
One thing I'm genuinely curious about : which money does he forfeit?

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
OK first of all, you're basing your entire contrarian position on this assumption that losing his "career" as an AHLer is going to make him an outcast everywhere he goes from that point, on. That's absurd. Racists go on to find jobs all of the time. Maybe he could be a police officer.

Second, you are free to have your opinion that this isn't a career-ending offense, but when you begin to exaggerate the claims made by the side you're, for reasons beyond my understanding, opposing, it moves from simply having a contrary opinion to constructing fallacious arguments to defend someone.

Why construct fallacious arguments? Because you have nothing else. You don't feel right just saying "he apologized and the person against whom he used a racial slur accepted the apology, so it should be OK now" so you have to invent this raving mad mob clamoring for his life to be completely destroyed to go along with it to make it seem like you're actually taking the compassionate position. It's a crock of ****.
It’s not a fallacious argument but okay. Police officers are racist? Alright, have a good one. I’m done here.

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
When someone is fired, from any walk of life. They don't just die. They get a new job. Maybe he could be a car salesman? Work Costco or Amazon, Drive uber?

If a Nurse, or Janitor said something similar, I'm going to guess they'd be fired. They'd also have to find a new job somewhere, maybe it would be in their desired career field, maybe not.
Ah yes, he can go from NHL/AHL player to.... Costco. That’ll teach him and his racist ways! Surely only good could come from that. (Which again we don’t even know what was said and the guy accepted his apology) If a nurse or janitor say something horrible and are terminated they can go find another job at another hospital or wherever. This is a totally different situation. He’s outcast from the hockey world if he loses his job over this.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
Ah yes, he can go from NHL/AHL player to.... Costco. That’ll teach him and his racist ways! Surely only good could come from that. (Which again we don’t even know what was said and the guy accepted his apology) If a nurse or janitor say something horrible and are terminated they can go find another job at another hospital or wherever. This is a totally different situation. He’s outcast from the hockey world if he loses his job over this.

No way he is. He could easily stay in hockey. Hockey has the amazing ability to harness people who have said racist comments as a rallying point. Not to mention all the other shady stuff hockey gets away with. He could play in Europe, the KHL, there are many many many leagues where they wouldn't even give a shit about this, and he'd still be making a pretty good living.

But, if a regular person, at 29 years old, and all they did was that job, that they now can't put on their resume, I'm sure they'll have a lot harder time making ends meat and putting food on the table.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
It’s not a fallacious argument but okay. Police officers are racist? Alright, have a good one. I’m done here.

I didn't say police officers are racist. It was an idea of a possible career after hockey, but we all know people like him don't really see real consequences so this is all irrelevant anyway.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Who cares playing professional hockey isn’t a right, it’s a privilege, and if you abuse it, you lose it. Not that complicated

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

So because its on a hockey rink and not the seventh floor of an office building means its OK to say racist comments?

Wow that is amazing logic.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
@EurlichBachman is putting in a LOT of effort defending this guy. All he had to do was not say something racist and he’d be fine. Besides I guarantee there’s some opportunities out there in hockey for him, but he actively chose to shut the door on the NHL.

99.9 whatever % of the players in the AHL manage to go without saying racist stuff as far as we’re aware. I don’t know why this guy found it so hard

regardless of how you feel about societies reaction to these types of incidents, at what point do you say “ok it’s clear that if I say something racist I’ll get in trouble so I should not say anything racist”. This victim of society card is meaning less and less and it barely ment much to begin with.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad