Brandon Manning suspended 5 AHL games for use of a racial slur toward an opponent

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
Most people would be fired for spewing racist comments in the workplace.

Sports is different. Hockey is a physical sport where emotions run high. Guys exchange nasty words from time to time.

Besides, Brandon Manning apologized, the other player accepted. Case closed. Let's move on shall we.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I admit, I never thought there would be "another side" to this or why someone would bother, but you never disappoint HF.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Sports is different. Hockey is a physical sport where emotions run high. Guys exchange nasty words from time to time.

Besides, Brandon Manning apologized, the other player accepted. Case closed. Let's move on shall we.

That wouldn't work like this for other suspendable offences, so why make an exception for racial slur?

Reactions: tarheelhockey

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
What does this mean then:

"And people need to recognize this isn't like a normal job. This isn't the 9 to 5 job us peons work. Playing in the NHL is totally different that stuff happening in a real work place."
This was your reply "So because its on a hockey rink and not the seventh floor of an office building means its OK to say racist comments?"

Nowhere did I say this. At all. Not remotely close to this. But I (and I imagine most people) would be terminated for most of the things players say to one another. It isn't a normal job. Should Andrew Shaw also have been released/terminated for spewing homophobic language in the 2016 playoffs?

There is no room in the game nor society for this, as I have made abundantly clear in my posts. In this case he apologized right after the game and to me at least his statement seemed remorseful. The player he offended accepted his apology and he was suspended for 5 games, could argue he should have gotten more. From all accounts he does not have a history of this in his 9 years. I just don't think one incident should tarnish someone forever especially when they are willing to apologize, that's all. I think that is a pretty level headed take.

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
@EurlichBachman is putting in a LOT of effort defending this guy. All he had to do was not say something racist and he’d be fine. Besides I guarantee there’s some opportunities out there in hockey for him, but he actively chose to shut the door on the NHL.

99.9 whatever % of the players in the AHL manage to go without saying racist stuff as far as we’re aware. I don’t know why this guy found it so hard

regardless of how you feel about societies reaction to these types of incidents, at what point do you say “ok it’s clear that if I say something racist I’ll get in trouble so I should not say anything racist”. This victim of society card is meaning less and less and it barely ment much to begin with.
Posting a few words on an internet forum is not a lot of effort. Read my posts and don't put words in my mouth and I think you'll find it to be a pretty level headed take on the situation. I just don't think one incident like this should tarnish someone especially if they are willing to acknowledge what they said was wrong and apologize to the person it was directed towards. Hopefully he learned from this and will never say whatever he said again. Maybe make him do the sensitivity training? If he has a history of this or does it again then it's another story and should play out like the Bill Peters stuff.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Ah yes, he can go from NHL/AHL player to.... Costco. That’ll teach him and his racist ways! Surely only good could come from that. (Which again we don’t even know what was said and the guy accepted his apology) If a nurse or janitor say something horrible and are terminated they can go find another job at another hospital or wherever. This is a totally different situation. He’s outcast from the hockey world if he loses his job over this.
He could probably go play in Europe. I mean, we have a guy who beat his wife playing over there, so I imagine a little racism wouldn’t be the end of his chances there. Plus, Manning is going to be in for a rude awakening in the next decade if he thinks playing hockey is going to be his career forever.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Emotions often run high in my job, too, but if I call the other side a racial slur I’m certainly getting fired.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Emotions often run high in my job, too, but if I call the other side a racial slur I’m certainly getting fired.

No no, only things on a hockey rink are intense. No other job is stressful.. lolol

Since it's intense we can let racial slurs go a little bit. No big deal.

You see, a police negotiator during a hostage situation can just start spewing racist comments because it's heated and intense job.

Some people are wild.

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
And you can turn around the next day and apply for the same job the next day with a new company. If he is released that is basically the end of this career and he will need to find something else to pay the bills. If you want to argue that it's a privilege to get a paycheck for playing hockey like someone else did, then sure I'll concede to that. But please stop talking about what would happen at your workplace. You could also be fired for calling the other side a million other things players say on the ice.

The only point I am trying to make is that I don't like the idea of someones entire life being tarnished because of a single screw up. I'll reiterate this point because I don't want to be misunderstood, racism has no place in the game or society. This guy made a bad mistake, owned up to it, and apologized. Isn't that what were supposed to do when we **** up? If this is behavior he has shown in the past or continues it in the future then there's a different conversation to take place (Bill Peters treatment).

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
And you can turn around the next day and apply for the same job the next day with a new company. If he is released that is basically the end of this career and he will need to find something else to pay the bills. If you want to argue that it's a privilege to get a paycheck for playing hockey like someone else did, then sure I'll concede to that. But please stop talking about what would happen at your workplace. You could also be fired for calling the other side a million other things players say on the ice.

The only point I am trying to make is that I don't like the idea of someones entire life being tarnished because of a single screw up. I'll reiterate this point because I don't want to be misunderstood, racism has no place in the game or society. This guy made a bad mistake, owned up to it, and apologized. Isn't that what were supposed to do when we **** up? If this is behavior he has shown in the past or continues it in the future then there's a different conversation to take place (Bill Peters treatment).
I actually probably wouldn’t be able to do that because calling the other side a slur would likely lead to some disciplinary action on my license. But manning can go and try to break into a different league. I mentioned Europe. Plenty of leagues over there he could apply to. Of course, they might ask what got him fired. Then again, so would any job I apply to.

Saying sorry and admitting you did something wrong doesn’t absolve you from the consequences of said action.

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
I actually probably wouldn’t be able to do that because calling the other side a slur would likely lead to some disciplinary action on my license. But manning can go and try to break into a different league. I mentioned Europe. Plenty of leagues over there he could apply to. Of course, they might ask what got him fired. Then again, so would any job I apply to.

Saying sorry and admitting you did something wrong doesn’t absolve you from the consequences of said action.
Fair enough, well leave it at that.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
His salary. He's going to lose more than $165k in salary. ($2.25m/68*5 = $165,411.76)

Brandon Manning - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

He's an UFA this summer. Why go through the mess of trying to end his NHL deal today, when you can just say adios at the end of the season?

Well, there's a reason I can see, and it turns around not bringing both teams (Oilers and Condors) into disrepute. It's an NHL deal with the Oilers, and it's not like he's being useful in anyway to them while playing in the AHL. I can't see this move causing a rift in the lockerroom, since Manning isn't in the Oilers lockerroom.

I don't know if such a reason could be raised to terminate a deal though. But I reckon this is a perfect test situation, as he's not a key player or a regular player (or, even, a roster player), and he's not a still-developping player either (had, say, Evan Bouchard uttered these slurs, nobody would seriously talk about termination, and he'd probably be scooped up very quickly by an NHL team). On a purely "business/legal" situation, I have to admit I'd be REALLY interested in seeing what would unfold if the Oilers decide to go for a termination.

On a personal basis, I probably wouldn't try terminate him (shown remorse) nor tell him to stay home after serving his suspension. But the Oilers/Condors have an image to protect in this thing (something I don't have). 5 games is probably a minimum as far as I'm concerned. I also have no personnal history with Manning.

Last edited:

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
That wouldn't work like this for other suspendable offences, so why make an exception for racial slur?

The reason why is that other suspendable offenses mostly involve some form of physical violence that could result in an injury.

In the case of a racial slur, it's only the person's feelings that are being hurt.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The reason why is that other suspendable offenses mostly involve some form of physical violence that could result in an injury.

In the case of a racial slur, it's only the person's feelings that are being hurt.

Players are suspended not because of injuries (though injuries are an aggravating circumstance), but because they did something that goes against what the league wants to see on (or off) the ice.

It happens the AHL doesn't want to see racism on the ice. Feel free to follow another league, I guess.

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago

I still think a suspension is definitely warranted here. Based on someone else's math he is going to lose about $165k in salary. That seems like a fair punishment, that's a boat load of money. Hopefully he learned from it and everyone can move on from this point.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
So let me get this straight he apologized for his racial slur and the other player accepted the apology? Honestly a suspension I think is totally fine he is going to be out some significant cash as well as every coach and GM in the AHL and NHL is going to be aware of what happened. He pretty much is going to pay the price going forward where teams will stay clear of him and most likely blacklist him to a degree. I agree with the suspension, and in the future in the heat of battle he thinks about what he is doing.

Reactions: EurlichBachman

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
Players are suspended not because of injuries (though injuries are an aggravating circumstance), but because they did something that goes against what the league wants to see on (or off) the ice.

It happens the AHL doesn't want to see racism on the ice. Feel free to follow another league, I guess.

Funny how these "racism" offenses only happen in hockey. Similar offenses are unheard of in the NBA, NFL, and CFL.

Why is that you ask? In the NBA, NFL, and CFL, the vast majority of the players are African American. In football and basketball, Black guys set the tone. As a result, little or no anti-Black bias by White players.

If in the event that some Black football player shouted a racially charged word at a White player, the league would do nothing, the media would stay silent and the online peanut gallery would be silent as well. More likely than not, the White player involved would not complain in the first place.

You see, the sin of "racism" only works one way. That being only White people can be guilty of it. At least in the eyes of the media, and corporations such as sports leagues.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
Funny how these "racism" offenses only happen in hockey. Similar offenses are unheard of in the NBA, NFL, and CFL.

Why is that you ask? In the NBA, NFL, and CFL, the vast majority of the players are African American. In football and basketball, Black guys set the tone. As a result, little or no anti-Black bias by White players.

If in the event that some Black football player shouted a racially charged word at a White player, the league would do nothing, the media would stay silent and the online peanut gallery would be silent as well. More likely than not, the White player involved would not complain in the first place.

You see, the sin of "racism" only works one way. That being only White people can be guilty of it. At least in the eyes of the media, and corporations such as sports leagues.

“The NFL, NBA and CFL dont have these issues. I wonder why. It’s probably a conspiracy”

I watch football more than hockey, unless I’m forgetting anything I’d argue that even with the lower percentage of white players the amount of racial incidents would still lean heavily towards them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad