Brandon Manning suspended 5 AHL games for use of a racial slur toward an opponent

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He apologized to the person he directed it at. The person accepted the apology. No one else was effected by this. I haven't looked deeply into this, but does anyone know what was even said? 5 game suspension will cost him quite a bit. Saying anything racist is horrible, but people calling for him to banned from the sport and his contract ripped up are out to lunch. Yes this is different than the Bill Peters stuff. From the sounds of that he used it a lot and was totally unapologetic about it. This sounds like some on ice chirping going way wayyyyyy wayyyyyyyyyyy too far. And people need to recognize this isn't like a normal job. This isn't the 9 to 5 job us peons work. Playing in the NHL is totally different that stuff happening in a real work place.

Such a weird take. You know what kind of stuff I heard as a kid playing hockey? Not even just hockey, other sports that I grew up playing?

Parents would yell stuff like "Who let that little monkey on the ice?" and that's the G-rated version of stuff they would say...seeing a racial slur directed at the only black player on that team, brings back bad memories for a lot of us that had to endure that as kids and never had those parents or players, ever be reprimanded the way Manning was, 5 games is a slap on the wrist, it's nowhere near enough for what that kind of language does and what kind of head space it puts us in.

The default for a lot of people when they're angry, is to go racial and to me, those are racist people. Plain and simple. If you're mad and you never result to a racial slur to another white player, then why does it make it ok to say it to a black player? Not only are you then being severely racist, you're being malicious with wording that is already, vicious to use and should never be tolerated.

Hockey wants to act like it's "woke" but it's so far from woke. There are still players that fear coming out because homophobic slurs are still audible at arenas in the NHL, same for racial slurs that unfortunately, still exist in the sport as proof by Manning at the AHL level.

There is no way in hell I think 5 games is enough. The the kind of bs we suffered through with that kind of language, 5 games is a joke.

Seeing a player resorted to that kind of behavior with another player because of his race, yeah that hits home for a lot of us black folk because of stuff we had to endure playing any sport we love.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Manning doesn't get to say sorry and miss 5 games and think that's ok and enough. No.

I had a co-worker drop the N bomb on me and he was fired a few days later when they investigated it, not even from me reporting it, but literally everyone else that was within ear shot. Fired. That's what he got, he was fired.

Manning deserves to never play the game ever again in the AHL or NHL.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
It always floors me that, as a black dude, it's ok for people to say racial slurs in some people's minds because it's a heat of the moment thing. That in that moment, it's ok to be racist or homophobic or whatever the slander/slur is at any given time with athletes.

It's not.

You will never ever be seen as anything but a racist in my books, you think being black I am supposed to brush it off as "ah he was just mad" saying a slur being meh in the process when that should never be the case. The NHL/AHL can act like they're way ahead of the curve with this stuff, but it still happens. That's a problem.
I've read many of your posts. You seem genuine. I can say i've never once met a black man that referred to himself as a "black dude." Heck i actually can't recall anyone of any race referring to themselves as a "dude. " I've heard plenty of people refer to someone else as a "XXXXXXX dude". Struck me as odd...

It would bother me none if Manning never skated another stride on North American soil. If someone in Europe wants him...fine...he can toil for the rest of his career in Kazahkstan and join their national team.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I've read many of your posts. You seem genuine. I can say i've never once met a black man that referred to himself as a "black dude." Heck i actually can't recall anyone of any race referring to themselves as a "dude. " I've heard plenty of people refer to someone else as a "XXXXXXX dude". Struck me as odd...
It's a turn of phrase that is common. I mean, you understand there's literally a skit from Dave Chappelle for Paul Mooney, called...wait for it..."Ask a Black Dude." What would you have us refer to ourselves as?

Should I be like RDJr doing black face reciting that famous line - "I'm just a dude..."

I had a guy here literally get on my case for not being american enough (I'm a Brit that was raised in the US) because my username was spelled "Honour" and not "Honor" save for the fact that my username comes from a now defunct UK clothing brand.
It would bother me none if Manning never skated another stride on North American soil. If someone in Europe wants him...fine...he can toil for the rest of his career in Kazahkstan and join their national team.

The issue becomes if Manning is suddenly fired/let go by the Oilers, it becomes something where they are just taking advantage of a bad situation to relieve themselves of the cap, so it's a weird situation even if they go that route. I think the league needs to be harsher towards this stuff, 5 games for a racial slur?

Sean Avery spoke about sloppy seconds and got 6 games.

chico85

Feb 9, 2020
Went to the game on Friday in Bakersfield. About 3 minute into the game, Boko and Manning got into a fight. 5mn plus 2 for taking off their helmets. Boko got the best of Manning. Nothing else happened the rest of the game between them.

FYI Boko had a Gordie Howe hat trick in the Reigns 10-3 win

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad