Waived: Brandon Manning: Clears :’(

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I wonder if you can convince him to go to the KHL, Manning, because he might not be complete hot garbage there.

Edit: also :biglaugh: to those people who would "defend" his play during his dreadful stint in Edmonton.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Messier's brother and Bob Green's stepson too.
I don't know that it's really all that uncommon to have friends and family in those spots. The unfortunate part is we don't really have that much of a scouting staff to begin with, so now do those three guys voice get heard a lot more than it should?

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Just read this on oilersnation. The trade that keeps on giving.

"2. Brandon Manning is currently 16th on the Oilers depth chart. Good grief. The Oilers finished the season with eight D-men, and Bakersfield is dressing seven D-men each game after Evan Bouchard arrived. Manning is a healthy scratch. He has a $2.25 million cap hit for next season. I’d buy him out before Lucic. Manning’s cap hit, if bought out, is this:
2019-20: $916,667
2020-21: $666.667
The new GM will likely be cursing when he sees this situation, wondering how could Peter Chiarelli be such an inept evaluator of talent to acquire Manning and his cap hit for Drake Caggiula. I didn’t think it was possible at the time of the trade, but this deal has actually gotten worse since Chiarelli made it. Utterly embarrassing."

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

"2. Brandon Manning is currently 16th on the Oilers depth chart. Good grief. The Oilers finished the season with eight D-men, and Bakersfield is dressing seven D-men each game after Evan Bouchard arrived. Manning is a healthy scratch. He has a $2.25 million cap hit for next season. I’d buy him out before Lucic. Manning’s cap hit, if bought out, is this:
The new GM will likely be cursing when he sees this situation, wondering how could Peter Chiarelli be such an inept evaluator of talent to acquire Manning and his cap hit for Drake Caggiula. I didn’t think it was possible at the time of the trade, but this deal has actually gotten worse since Chiarelli made it. Utterly embarrassing."

Or just banish him the minors somewhere and face a cap hit $1.175 M in 2019 and $0 in 2020. Overall it's the more efficient cap solution to just leave him down there as it saves $408K on cap space overall vs. buyout.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018

Just give him a chance, people in Philadelphia liked him. It's only a matter of time before Mandog is knocking bodies back in the NHL like the best leader he is.

Edit - oops, forgot to login to my boxcar account. My bad

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton

Hopefully we can at least loan him to another AHL club.

Reactions: Jamin and bone

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Depends on what happens this summer. If we end up moving a few guys off of that Condors roster, he probably ends up with the Stanton role next season.

People love leaning into this guy, but he's not active in Bako because the team that's playing right now, got them there. Look at Manning's career production and he's at the very least a productive AHL defenseman.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Depends on what happens this summer. If we end up moving a few guys off of that Condors roster, he probably ends up with the Stanton role next season.

People love leaning into this guy, but he's not active in Bako because the team that's playing right now, got them there. Look at Manning's career production and he's at the very least a productive AHL defenseman.

That's fair enough. If he needs to be paid anyways, hopefully he can contribute something.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Best case scenario is he wins the 7D spot. How big of a moron is PC when 25% of our cap is bad contracts. Lucic, Koskinen, Sekera, Russel, Manning, Gagner(Spooner) and the Pouliot, Gryba buyouts. This is nearly 30 million in cap space being wasted.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Too bad the NHL doesn't offer mulligans and do overs.

"Look, we fired the idiot (one of) could we just do a redo on everything he did and make it 2015 again?

Time machine anybody?

Reactions: Aerrol and Jamin

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

Unless there are 2/3 dmen moved out this summer I don't think they'll even have a Stanton role in Bakersfield next year. They've already got Jones, Bear, Lagesson, Lowe, Bouchard, Samorukov and Persson signed; and Logan Day arguably deserves an NHL deal with how he's played this year. I definitely think they'll be looking to loan Manning out to another AHL team if he's not moved this summer.

Reactions: The Nuge

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
McDavid after Manning cleared :

giphy.gif

Reactions: rickysusedsht

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Unless there are 2/3 dmen moved out this summer I don't think they'll even have a Stanton role in Bakersfield next year. They've already got Jones, Bear, Lagesson, Lowe, Bouchard, Samorukov and Persson signed; and Logan Day arguably deserves an NHL deal with how he's played this year. I definitely think they'll be looking to loan Manning out to another AHL team if he's not moved this summer.
The names you just rung off are the reason I see Logan Day signing with another organization this summer. Too much internal competition.

I think we'll be seeing at least one of those names starting on the big team next season as well. It wouldn't surprise me if he were loaned to another organization, but I don't see it being overly necessary. He's a better player than Stanton and the Condors roster is likely going to be seeing a number of guys moving in and out next season with Bear, Jones and Lagesson all on their final years of waiver exemption.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Just give him a chance, people in Philadelphia liked him. It's only a matter of time before Mandog is knocking bodies back in the NHL like the best leader he is.

Edit - oops, forgot to login to my boxcar account. My bad
I was having a shitty day, now I’m hurting from laughing. I wish I could like this.

Post of the day

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Although a relatively small trade, Manning for Caggsy could be the worst trade in the last decade in the NHL.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
It wasn't even the worst trade made that day.

Edmonton Oilers acquireDateFlorida Panthers acquire
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Alex Petrovic
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
December 30, 2018
Chris Wideman
2019 3rd round pick
Florida_Panthers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Chicago Blackhawks acquireDateEdmonton Oilers acquire
Chicago_Blackhawks.gif
Drake Caggiula
Jason Garrison
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
December 30, 2018
Brandon Manning
Robin Norell
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Yeah, the Petrovic one was worse.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Edmonton Oilers acquireDateFlorida Panthers acquire
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Alex Petrovic
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
December 30, 2018
Chris Wideman
2019 3rd round pick
Florida_Panthers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Chicago Blackhawks acquireDateEdmonton Oilers acquire
Chicago_Blackhawks.gif
Drake Caggiula
Jason Garrison
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
December 30, 2018
Brandon Manning
Robin Norell
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Yeah, the Petrovic one was worse.
It absolutely is not, Petrovic wasn't great, but you can see the logic, soon to be UFA, big physical player. Again, terrible deal, but you can see why. Wideman also looked very small and very weak in his limited showing in Edmonton

Manning still has another year and was Clearly not better then what was currently in the organization and cost the team far more.

Reactions: RegDunlop

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It absolutely is not, Petrovic wasn't great, but you can see the logic, soon to be UFA, big physical player. Again, terrible deal, but you can see why. Wideman also looked very small and very weak in his limited showing in Edmonton

Manning still has another year and was Clearly not better then what was currently in the organization and cost the team far more.
Caggiula also had another year and judging by his animated response towards Ken Hitchcock, was slowly playing himself outside of regular duty.

People pretend Caggiula was something valuable--he wasn't. He was an overpaid third line winger who was irresponsible defensively. Also a free asset.

The Manning trade was bad, in that we added a bit of salary to the payroll for next season, but we didn't give up anything that hurt the future of the team. Losing that 3rd rounder for a player we hardly used hurt more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad