Waived: Brandon Manning: Clears :’(

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If Manning is instantly our number one dman down there, we have some serious issues.
Why?

His last year in the AHL with PHI he was third in team scoring. Had twice as many points as the next d-man on their farm team in 9 less games.

Just because a guy isn't an everyday NHLer doesn't mean that he is going to be a horrible AHLer.

Hate the guy all you want for what he did to McDavid or his play here, but saying there is an issue with him being the top guy there or he's useless isn't right.

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
Why?

His last year in the AHL with PHI he was third in team scoring. Had twice as many points as the next d-man on their farm team in 9 less games.

Just because a guy isn't an everyday NHLer doesn't mean that he is going to be a horrible AHLer.

Hate the guy all you want for what he did to McDavid or his play here, but saying there is an issue with him being the top guy there or he's useless isn't right.

Because he’s an absolute shit box on skates this season and has no business displacing any of our dman down there that have been playing well.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No he won't. Lagesson and Jones are much better players and Manning is the deadweight. That's why he was waived.
No, he was waived because he gives us the largest cap benefit by sending him down.

People have it out for this guy, but he's actually a pretty decent puck moving D if he's not busy being exposed defensively. In the AHL, he's probably going to be close to a PPG.

I still think Benning is the guy we should be shopping.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He should be very good at the AHL level but ffs that extra year on his contract is an absolute killer. At east with Petrovic if we want to we can walk from him at years end, for Manning we are stuck with him come Hell or high water.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Why?

I’m sure he’ll be a good D at that level.
He’ll also be taking ice time that a prospect could be using.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
No, he was waived because he gives us the largest cap benefit by sending him down.

People have it out for this guy, but he's actually a pretty decent puck moving D if he's not busy being exposed defensively. In the AHL, he's probably going to be close to a PPG.

Isn’t the cap benefit exactly the same as it would be for Petrovic or Benning? Or do you just mean Gravel?

I don’t think much of the player and I’d rather prospects play those minutes. He’s an overpay as a 6/7 D on a team that can’t afford it.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Foolishly, I conned myself into believing there was a chance he’d get claimed with the tweets out of Vancouver.

Stupid optimism.

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
They got rid of Spooner somehow after burying him in the minors, so there's always a slim chance he could be traded before the deadline. Stranger things have happened.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Largest cap benefit? Sending a guy down saves you as much as just over a mill max. Benning, Manning or Petrovic would all save us the same amount.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Largest cap benefit? Sending a guy down saves you as much as just over a mill max. Benning, Manning or Petrovic would all save us the same amount.
And the other two shoot right-handed. Andrej Sekera, the guy they just activated, shoots left. Manning hitting waivers clears more salary than Gravel would have.

Regardless, Manning will fill a similar role that Sekera did in his short time down in Bakersfield. He's considerably more talented than he's been given credit for here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad