Waived: Brandon Manning: Clears :’(

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Is there any hope he can still be a serviceable #7?

I admit I didn't watch the Oilers too closely last season (due to obvious reasons)

Ya. He’s a decent enough #7. The problem is it’s in the AHL. He belongs nowhere close to the NHL. He’s like 15th on our the depth chart.

I’d imagine he goes down to sit in the Bakersfield press box (or loaned to a different AHL team), and we use Persson as the #7 to save some extra cap and get a better dman

Reactions: oobga

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Ya. He’s a decent enough #7. The problem is it’s in the AHL. He belongs nowhere close to the NHL. He’s like 15th on our the depth chart.

I’d imagine he goes down to sit in the Bakersfield press box (or loaned to a different AHL team), and we use Persson as the #7 to save some extra cap and get a better dman

Yes when I was researching Bakersfield depth chart for defense I coulod not believe how far down he is.You would think an NHL player no problem would he dress... but no joke I would dress all of Lagesson Lowe and Saumorkov over him. And that is just the left side!!!

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Yes when I was researching Bakersfield depth chart for defense I coulod not believe how far down he is.You would think an NHL player no problem would he dress... but no joke I would dress all of Lagesson Lowe and Saumorkov over him. And that is just the left side!!!

Ya. Even if Jones and Persson were to both make the Oilers, he’s behind

Bouchard
Bear
Samorukov
Lagesson
Day
Lowe

Don’t know if Kulevich is back or not, but even he played over Manning... If Ryan Mantha is somehow able to recover, he probably slots in higher...

Best case scenario, he’s 14th on our depth chart, and any dman we sign would just push him farther down

Reactions: Aerrol

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Bouchard
Bear
Samorukov
Lagesson
Day
Lowe

Don’t know if Kulevich is back or not, but even he played over Manning... If Ryan Mantha is somehow able to recover, he probably slots in higher...

Best case scenario, he’s 14th on our depth chart, and any dman we sign would just push him farther down
Again, Manning will be shunted to some other team's AHL team. The team would (and should) basically forget about this guy as a player.

I frankly wouldn't even invite him to camp, because I would be worried he'd hurt someone being a try hard idiot. Just find another AHL team for him to play for, send him there and pretend like he was never an Oiler.

Edit: For anyone to refer to Manning as a "serviceable #7" fails to take into account how bad he is and the fact he's SO useless you don't even waste a buyout on him, because he's assumed buried in the minors.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Manning is more than just "serviceable". He can still be a solid bottom pairing D in the NHL. Everyone seems to forget that he had three solid seasons in Philly before his disaster of a campaign in Chicago and Edmonton. You cannot tell me that Mandog couldn't make an NHL roster with some of the bums in the bottom pairings around the league.

Edmonton is fairly loaded on young D, so I hope he gets a genuine shot with someone else going into training camp.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Manning is more than just "serviceable". He can still be a solid bottom pairing D in the NHL. Everyone seems to forget that he had three solid seasons in Philly before his disaster of a campaign in Chicago and Edmonton. You cannot tell me that Mandog couldn't make an NHL roster with some of the bums in the bottom pairings around the league.

Edmonton is fairly loaded on young D, so I hope he gets a genuine shot with someone else going into training camp.
How's the offseason training Brandon?

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I am not Brandon Manning. I'm just a fan of the unfairly maligned hard working D-man.
giphy.gif

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Bouchard
Bear
Samorukov
Lagesson
Day
Lowe

I'm not sure we can read that far into it. There must've been a personal reason why Woodcroft didn't use Manning in the playoffs because at worst Brandon Manning is a highly productive AHL defenseman.

We're talking about a player Philadelphia used for 18 minutes a night for two full seasons in the NHL to mixed results. He's a player who can make a decent first pass, plays with an edge, takes risks to create offense but routinely finds himself on the receiving end of some defensive gaffes.

I get why people have it out for him, but the scouting reports on him here are heavily biased against him.

As for him being a number 7--I would say probably not--just because the $1.05m we get in cap relief by sending him down at the beginning of the season probably offers more to the team than what he realistically brings.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Ideally his agent can work out a trade to a team that needs a veteran 6th/7th defenseman, we could use the cap space and he could use a change of organizations.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I'm not sure we can read that far into it. There must've been a personal reason why Woodcroft didn't use Manning in the playoffs because at worst Brandon Manning is a highly productive AHL defenseman.

Except he wasn’t even productive in Bakersfield, as he was pointless. He had 4 points all of last year, between Chicago, Edmonton, and Bakersfield. Remember when fans were giving Torts **** for not playing Johnson in the playoffs, and he said he’s not one of our 6 best dmen? Same situation I’d wager. The reason he didn’t play is probably that we had 6 dmen that outplayed him, and it became 7 once Bouchard showed up.

We're talking about a player Philadelphia used for 18 minutes a night for two full seasons in the NHL to mixed results. He's a player who can make a decent first pass, plays with an edge, takes risks to create offense but routinely finds himself on the receiving end of some defensive gaffes.

We’re talking about the same team that thought VandeVelde was a top 9 forward, and used him as such, only for no other team to even give him a PTO, after Philly used him steady for 3 years.

What Philly did back then really doesn’t carry any weight whatsoever.

I get why people have it out for him, but the scouting reports on him here are heavily biased against him.

As for him being a number 7--I would say probably not--just because the $1.05m we get in cap relief by sending him down at the beginning of the season probably offers more to the team than what he realistically brings.

I’d love nothing more than for him to suddenly turn into a different player, and prove everyone wrong. He is still signed to our team after all. But there’s a reason teams are moving on from him.

If he made 700k in the Kevin Gravel NHL/AHL tweener role, bouncing around, people could probably gloss over his flaws when he was up with the team. But he’s paid like an NHL regular, and doesn’t play like it. He’s going to be criticized, and it doesn’t mean it’s bias. You said it yourself. He’s not worth keeping up over the 300k in extra capspace he costs. That’s pretty damning

Reactions: Aerrol

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Except he wasn’t even productive in Bakersfield, as he was pointless. He had 4 points all of last year, between Chicago, Edmonton, and Bakersfield. Remember when fans were giving Torts **** for not playing Johnson in the playoffs, and he said he’s not one of our 6 best dmen? Same situation I’d wager. The reason he didn’t play is probably that we had 6 dmen that outplayed him, and it became 7 once Bouchard showed up.

We’re talking about the same team that thought VandeVelde was a top 9 forward, and used him as such, only for no other team to even give him a PTO, after Philly used him steady for 3 years.

What Philly did back then really doesn’t carry any weight whatsoever.

I’d love nothing more than for him to suddenly turn into a different player, and prove everyone wrong. He is still signed to our team after all. But there’s a reason teams are moving on from him.

If he made 700k in the Kevin Gravel NHL/AHL tweener role, bouncing around, people could probably gloss over his flaws when he was up with the team. But he’s paid like an NHL regular, and doesn’t play like it. He’s going to be criticized, and it doesn’t mean it’s bias. You said it yourself. He’s not worth keeping up over the 300k in extra capspace he costs. That’s pretty damning
He played eight games in Bakersfield last season. In his last full season in the AHL he scored 43 points in 60 games, which would have been tops in terms of production of our defensemen on the farm last season.

Like I said, I get why there's a bias, but at the very least there's a productive AHL defenseman there.

Teams are passing on this guy because he earned himself a contract that he can't live up to. If he was in fact on a league min contract, I'm not convinced he'd clear waivers.

Regardless, unless he's traded he'll be in Bakersfield come October 2nd.

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
He played eight games in Bakersfield last season. In his last full season in the AHL he scored 43 points in 60 games, which would have been tops in terms of production of our defensemen on the farm last season.

Like I said, I get why there's a bias, but at the very least there's a productive AHL defenseman there.

Teams are paying on this guy because he earned himself a contract that he can't live up to. If he was in fact on a league min contract, I'm not convinced he'd clear waivers.

In the AHL, Development > Wins

He doesn't fit into the longterm plans of our organization and has effectively been squeezed off our AHL squad.

Productive or not, he likely will be loaned to another AHL team. I hope its Chicago or Philly for the pure irony of it all.

Reactions: Cypress

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
You cannot tell me that Mandog couldn't make an NHL roster with some of the bums in the bottom pairings around the league.
Well, I can.

Brandon Manning won't make any of the NHL rosters because he is worse than all of the bums in the bottom pairings.

Have a good day. Please greet Brandon from us.

BamaOil

Nov 18, 2018
The only way Manning makes this roster, or any other NHL roster, is if he spends his entire summer blood doping on EPO and microdosing acid before every skills and drills/camp session

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
If he is lights out in training camp I agree he deserves a shot at least in the AHL. Maybe he trained real hard all summer.
No gifts for any spots by anybody at all is my opinion. We need wins this year NHL and AHL.
Though Bakersfield is for development the best development is winning.
There might be space for Brandon this year as 1 or 2 D will be up with the Oilers

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If he is lights out in training camp I agree he deserves a shot at least in the AHL. Maybe he trained real hard all summer.
No gifts for any spots by anybody at all is my opinion. We need wins this year NHL and AHL.
Though Bakersfield is for development the best development is winning.
There might be space for Brandon this year as 1 or 2 D will be up with the Oilers
Stop it, you send Manning away from the team before Camp even gets here, that way you can forget about the player and he doesn't hurt someone in camp being a "try hard" for a team that doesn't care about him in the slightest. You find another AHL team for him to play for and you send him there as soon as possible

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Hahahahhahahahahahaha I still can not believe Chiarelli traded for literally the only guy in the NHL that McDavid has had a notable feud with. I could understand if he was a star player and they'd become amicable but the guy is a f***ing minor leaguer. Chiarelli had to have done that for some nefarious reason.

Reactions: EagerPug and Aerrol

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Hahahahhahahahahahaha I still can not believe Chiarelli traded for literally the only guy in the NHL that McDavid has had a notable feud with. I could understand if he was a star player and they'd become amicable but the guy is a ****ing minor leaguer. Chiarelli had to have done that for some nefarious reason.
He's not clever enough for that, it's just that he saw a couple big hits, assumed (like the Hawks last offseason) that Hits=NHL player and made a VERY stupid trade.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

Teams are passing on this guy because he earned himself a contract that he can't live up to. If he was in fact on a league min contract, I'm not convinced he'd clear waivers.

I think they loan him to another franchise's farm team. Ideally they find a team with poor defensive depth loan him there he's a productive AHL'er and that NHL team runs into injury troubles early and trades for him.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

I think Manning's problem is that his contract is going to be very prohibitive in facilitating a trade. I mean the Oilers can bury 1M of his cap hit in the minors even if they found a taker for Manning at 50% retained it's basically not saving the Oilers anything and costing them a retention spot, doesn't make much sense.

Unfortunately like in this case a player is tendered and signs a contract that doesn't accurately reflect his value and that's a big problem if you are a fringe, dime a dozen player as Manning is. There are many options out there similar to Manning that could be signed for near league minimum.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I think Manning's problem is that his contract is going to be very prohibitive in facilitating a trade. I mean the Oilers can bury 1M of his cap hit in the minors even if they found a taker for Manning at 50% retained it's basically not saving the Oilers anything and costing them a retention spot, doesn't make much sense.

Unfortunately like in this case a player is tendered and signs a contract that doesn't accurately reflect his value and that's a big problem if you are a fringe, dime a dozen player as Manning is. There are many options out there similar to Manning that could be signed for near league minimum.

Good point. Contract's like these for fringe NHLers can be career-limiting. If he keeps signing $900K contracts, teams keep him around for quality depth. With this, he gets buried and gets rusty making him even worse and less likely to ever get another contract.

That said, the money he's earned on this contract probably makes him rest easier as he'll have earned in two years what he should have made over 4 or 5 without having to play many games.

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
This trade almost more than any other displayed Chias complete ignorance.
I still laugh that my 7yr old son asked me if Chia meant to be as bad at his job as he was. Pretty bad when it's noticeable to someone that age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad