Player Discussion Brandon Davidson - How do you like your crow?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'll have mine roasted, thanks.

Kid looks like a legitimate NHL defenceman, and is evolving right in front of our eyes. I admit I didn't see it in him, and I'm really happy it looks like I was wrong.

Led the Oilers in total ice time tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:

space321

May 11, 2011
He probably only led TOI because of all the powerplays we got. But you're right, he's looking pretty good out there, still a couple ****ups but he's worked really hard to get to this point, I hope he continues.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
He probably only led TOI because of all the powerplays we got. But you're right, he's looking pretty good out there, still a couple ****ups but he's worked really hard to get to this point, I hope he continues.
Second in ES for the oilers D tonight

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This is a guy that I put well ahead of guys like Musil and Simpson, where many didn't.

I actually think his sickness really set him back and think if not for that he would be even better now.

Having said all that, and seeing him pay decent for us as well, I think he would be best served with another season in the minors to work on his game/shot etc.

He needs one more year of full time/top pairing minutes in BAK and I think we sign him as our #7 guy for as long as it's feasible.

The only reason he is here is because of injuries and a complete melt down from Nikita and Ference.

Full credit for him making the most of this opportunity, but one also has to point out we are dead last in the NHL with THE easiest defense core to break into.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
For the record, he's seeing similar usage as a guy like Nathan Beaulieu, with pretty similar results. - granted he's a few years older, but he's playing 14-20 minutes a night, contributing offensively, and keeping his head above water at evens (+1)

I think he'll play with Reinhart on the bottom pairing most nights when Schultz is healthy.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
i feel like we are getting more mileage out of Davidson than i thought. a job with the Oilers is his to take and he's starting to make a good case for himself. it's about time we got a break with the late round picks and start having at least SOME success in that area.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
I still don't see it. He still makes dumb decisions with the puck on his stick when he is in his own end. I think it was the 2nd period in todays game where he held it too long than tried to flip it out and it was turned over and NJ got a really good chance off of it.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I'm really liking what I've seen out of Davidson. I never thought he would be playing the minutes he has been at the NHL level. He does a lot of things I really like.

1. He is aware of line changes and moves the puck up well on the ice. He has a few assists from making quick passes.

2. He makes sure to shoulder check before going into the corners. He doesn't put himself at risk and is able to collect the puck rather than just throw it around the boards hoping it goes out.

3. Kid has a real rocket of a shot and capable of hitting the net unlike most of our dmen.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Still border line with him, I admit I thought he was horrible, but he has been good as of late. Still I would take Reinhard, Nurse, Klef over him for young guys and Schultz and Sekara over him for older guys. Any way, not sure where that leaves him. 6th I guess at best.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think he'll ever be a top 4 D, but I'm perfectly fine with him as a 6/7 D, and I think he is actually extremely valuable in a role like that. Brings decent mobility, some physicality, a cannon from the point and a pretty decent breakout pass. More attributes than you see in a lot of 6/7 D's in the league.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Too soon to tell. At this point we have no reason to believe that he's any more than a 3rd pairing guy. If he wants to convince me he needs to go out and have a near perfect game against a team we're supposed to lose to.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
People are pretty bullish on him I see. I've liked him better then Gryba, Fayne, Schultz and Reinhart this year. Faster then I expected also.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Defensively he is still a bit of a mess. But I will give him props on the PP, makes good passes and has a half decent shot from the blue line. Way better than I expected him to be.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
He's strong physically, positionally and responsible with the puck. Leads the team in score-adjusted CF%.

A very promising start to the season.

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
There is a reason he hasn't gone through waivers.
The guy hasnt had a great development path with his cancer and now sitting in the press box.
He quietly does a lot of things right even though there are still some deficiencies.
I have liked him and i think he will only improve as he sees more regular ice time.
Looks better than Griffin right now. He could use some AHL time imo.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
I'll have mine roasted, thanks.

Kid looks like a legitimate NHL defenceman, and is evolving right in front of our eyes. I admit I didn't see it in him, and I'm really happy it looks like I was wrong.

Led the Oilers in total ice time tonight.

Go back to last summer and have a look at how many posters threw Dri in on thier trade proposals as fooder! Good for you admitting it, and yes he is playing very well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad