Player Discussion Brandon Davidson - How do you like your crow?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Even a max #6 from Davidson is still pretty good. 5th rounder who looked very meh then went thru serious health issues. He had every excuse in the book to end up as bust, but he made it thru

Developing Davidson into a bottom pairing D allows management to not go after Ferences of the world

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
There was actually a lot of talk on this board about Davidson being ready at the end of last year and in the offseason.

I liked him as a good depth guy to start the year and would have ideally given him Ference's job.

I never thought he'd be better then a depth guy and I had no idea he had a shot or a decent hockey IQ....I wonder if he has any game left to grow?

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
He looked like maybe our best defenseman before he went down with injury.

He's way the **** better than Fayne. Which is mostly a mark on Fayne.

Wonder if we go:
Nurse-Sekera
Klefbom-Gryba
Davidson-Schultz?

Ugh, Gryba. Can't think of a tough as nails RHD from Manitoba that would fit that top 4 bill

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
There was actually a lot of talk on this board about Davidson being ready at the end of last year and in the offseason.

I liked him as a good depth guy to start the year and would have ideally given him Ference's job.

I never thought he'd be better then a depth guy and I had no idea he had a shot or a decent hockey IQ....I wonder if he has any game left to grow?
He keeps on suprising me. I thought I had a decent appreciation of him after watching OKC a good amount last season, but he's even better then I thought.

If he can keep it up for the rest of the season, I think we'll be talking about him as a legitimate top 4/5 d-man.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He has been better than Reinhart so far. Didn't see that coming.

Hawkeyfan99

Sep 12, 2004
he looks like he could end up being an average bottom-pairing guy if he continues to develop.... he is still VERY slow though, so bottom pairing is at high as he'll ever reach IMO.... on a good team he is still in the AHL or the 7th dman

He isn't very slow! Do you actually watch or know hockey?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It would be nice to have someone from the back half of the draft actually pan out.

So far it looks like he's beating the odds and is a keeper.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The advanced stats like him. A lot.

Visually he looks pretty good too.

The Oilers have been dying for someone like this to pop up. A back of the order draftee or non-touted prospect who becomes a significant NHL player.

I hope he can maintain his play.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

The Oilers have been dying for someone like this to pop up. A back of the order draftee or non-touted prospect who becomes a significant NHL player.

Agreed. He plays with an edge, isn't afraid to skate the puck out, and has a good shot. I'm really rooting for this kid.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i thought he looked good last night, i mean we all want a #1 Dman but if you temper expectations and look at people for what they bring davidson is a great bottom pairing guy. also if we had been able to develop players like him over the last decade we might not be stuck with ferences and eric belangers and boyd gordons

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

Not too bad for a 6th round pick that was a throw in with the Lubo-Whitney trade.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Yup 55% fenwick is very good on this D. And his corsiRel to other D on this team is pretty high.

Hes got 0.77 pts/60 which is pretty solid for a D. Probaly around #4 production

Hes a solid shutdown D but he has a cannon for a shot and can move the puck well

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
i thought he looked good last night, i mean we all want a #1 Dman but if you temper expectations and look at people for what they bring davidson is a great bottom pairing guy. also if we had been able to develop players like him over the last decade we might not be stuck with ferences and eric belangers and boyd gordons

Played over 20mins last night and finsihed on the + side.
i think Nilsson is currently masking a lot of negatives of our Dmen making Davidson, Nurse, Sekera, Klefbom and even Gryba are all look like legit NHL Dmen.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i think Nilsson is currently masking a lot of negatives of our Dmen making Davidson, Nurse, Sekera, Klefbom and even Gryba are all look like legit NHL Dmen.

i agree but also good goaltending allows players to play with confidence. the value is huge when you arent afraid to make a mistake.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
He had a solid game last night and used that cannon well a couple of times. I didn't think he needed to be bailed out by Nilsson last night, unlike Schultz. He's nothing too flashy but plays a solid well rounded game.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

It's funny how a good D group can potentially make a goalie look better than he actually is and vice versa.

Although, from yesterday's game, it didn't seem like Buffalo had a bunch of high quality chances.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
It's funny how a good D group can potentially make a goalie look better than he actually is and vice versa.

Although, from yesterday's game, it didn't seem like Buffalo had a bunch of high quality chances.

The Oilers did limit Buffalo's high quality chances. The 1 major breakdown was a series of bad plays by Draisaitl that lead to Eichel wide open in the slot. Other than that, it was pretty solid, even with the ref's doing all they could to get Buffalo back in it.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The Oilers did limit Buffalo's high quality chances. The 1 major breakdown was a series of bad plays by Draisaitl that lead to Eichel wide open in the slot. Other than that, it was pretty solid, even with the ref's doing all they could to get Buffalo back in it.

way too many close calls in the 3rd when BUF was pushing hard. Nilsson made some huge saves and the post bailed him out as well. There were plenty of chances for BUF to get back in the game.

But like many here have said Nurse, Klefbom, Sekera and Davidson seem like keepers.
Davidson no so much as the other 3 but is clearly on the + side of equation.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You're entitled to be wrong.

:laugh: hey you're being mean!

jk, but for me, the kicker is that you aren't allowed to claim someone and put them in the AHL. Did Davidson show enough last year for a team to use a roster spot and a spot against the contract limit? He was a -5 in 12 games, and 1 point. I think maybe someone might have taken a chance, but most teams have a prospect like him kicking around somewhere. He did look better than his stats last year, but I doubt anyone scouted him either. Every year there are always players that people say will get claimed for sure but don't. It's not as big a freebie as it seems usually.

of course now, someone would claim him for sure.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
:laugh: hey you're being mean!

jk, but for me, the kicker is that you aren't allowed to claim someone and put them in the AHL. Did Davidson show enough last year for a team to use a roster spot and a spot against the contract limit? He was a -5 in 12 games, and 1 point. I think maybe someone might have taken a chance, but most teams have a prospect like him kicking around somewhere. He did look better than his stats last year, but I doubt anyone scouted him either. Every year there are always players that people say will get claimed for sure but don't. It's not as big a freebie as it seems usually.

of course now, someone would claim him for sure.

Perhaps the Oilers Management group was just a little smarter than the average HF poster. ;)

They clearly saw something in Davidson during the Pre-season and in practice.

They deserve major kudos for not risking losing this player because he is showing himself to be a legit NHL'er.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad