Player Discussion Brandon Davidson - How do you like your crow?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
2nd most ice time of any Oiler defenceman last night, only Sekera saw more.

I posted this in another thread but this kid went from reserve AJHL player undrafted in the WHL draft to NHL defenceman playing 20 minutes a night in six years - oh, and beat cancer along the way.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

I posted this in another thread but this kid went from reserve AJHL player undrafted in the WHL draft to NHL defenceman playing 20 minutes a night in six years - oh, and beat cancer along the way.

Davidson has looked good and is now a legit NHLer. I am just not willing to use any stats from any of our Dmen last night to highlight something positive.

McDeathbyCheerios*

It's a great story for the guy.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
:laugh: hey you're being mean!

jk, but for me, the kicker is that you aren't allowed to claim someone and put them in the AHL. Did Davidson show enough last year for a team to use a roster spot and a spot against the contract limit? He was a -5 in 12 games, and 1 point. I think maybe someone might have taken a chance, but most teams have a prospect like him kicking around somewhere. He did look better than his stats last year, but I doubt anyone scouted him either. Every year there are always players that people say will get claimed for sure but don't. It's not as big a freebie as it seems usually.

of course now, someone would claim him for sure.

i'm sure some cap tight team like the hawks would of taken a chance at the time.

Nice to see him continue doing good, looks like a keeper for our bottom pairing going forward

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm about ready to say that the guy is way better than I thought he had potential for.

So I'll take mine well done.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Still early to make any conclusions. Grebeshkov, Potter and Marincin also played 20 mins a night for a stretch of time. We know what happened. That said, good for Davidson to beat the circumstances time and again and make the most of the opportunity. If there is a defensive prospect you can count on to exceed expectations, it's Davidson. We''l be absolutely fanstastic if between Nurse, Klefbom, Reinhart, and Davidson they find a couple of top pairing players and a couple of guys who can play on the 2nd pairing a year from now.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I'm about ready to say that the guy is way better than I thought he had potential for.

So I'll take mine well done.

Me too, I thought it was bizarre when they kept him up at the start of the year.

I have never been good at evaluating defenseman but Davidson seems like the most unspectacular player in recent memory.

There's nothing wrong with that as a young dman but I dunno... it just feels like he doesn't do anything.

That clapper though

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Me too, I thought it was bizarre when they kept him up at the start of the year.

I have never been good at evaluating defenseman but Davidson seems like the most unspectacular player in recent memory.

There's nothing wrong with that as a young dman but I dunno... it just feels like he doesn't do anything.

That clapper though
A guy who you don't notice = good bottom pair D man.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

That clapper though

seems to get the job done and is +3 while playing close to 20 mins anight. that's more than you can ask of a stay home defenseman.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I pledge this night, to watch Davidson closer; because I do not notice him when I watch the games.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
It seems every step along his path has been faced with adversity.
He has not had an easy life or an easy career. But he has very admirably kept his chin up, and plunged into his challenges with great character,
and we are seeing the results of a soul determined to excel.
Hardship demands to be felt, and he has felt it and survived. And thrived.
He's the sort of person Churchill, Thatcher, Hemingway would appreciate.

`

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Still early to make any conclusions. Grebeshkov, Potter and Marincin also played 20 mins a night for a stretch of time. We know what happened. That said, good for Davidson to beat the circumstances time and again and make the most of the opportunity. If there is a defensive prospect you can count on to exceed expectations, it's Davidson. We''l be absolutely fanstastic if between Nurse, Klefbom, Reinhart, and Davidson they find a couple of top pairing players and a couple of guys who can play on the 2nd pairing a year from now.

While I agree. Grebs doesn't deserve to be mentioned with those other two. Those other two at times showed potential. Grebs on his last stint was just garbage from day one.

In the end for me though the pick has been a success. To me not every draft pick should be expected to make an impact at the NHL level, but if a guy in the 6th can come in and be a real good AHL player for you and allow others to develop then that's a pretty good pick too.

Davidson however has come in helped out our AHL system and now at the very least forced others to earn their spot on this club.

We've had so many picks as a whole just be outright done after Junior hockey let alone doing something in the AHL.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Will be interesting to see his contract situation unfold. He's making close to league minimum and is a RFA after this season.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I am only really good at assessing defenders in the offensive end and on their breakouts.
I guess I can tell when someone really, really ****s up their coverage.

I haven't noticed Davidson doing anything terribad since Dallas. When McDavid scored his first goal.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Will be interesting to see his contract situation unfold. He's making close to league minimum and is a RFA after this season.

Depending on how he's doing, imo, you either re-sign him for 2 years at 1M or so (bottom pairing potential) or give him slightly more, say 1.5M, and sign him for 4-5 years (if you are comfortable enough with him being able to step into the top 4 in a pinch. 4-5D making 1.5M is a very good deal in today's NHL, especially seeing what Nikitin, Fayne and Ference have been making lately on this club.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'd resign him 1M x 7 years. Low risk high reward :laugh:

I doubt he signs this tho

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think he is 2 yrs away from UFA...Oilers should sign him to a 1yrx 1.8M show me deal or go 3yrs x 2.5M if are sold on him.

edit: Ryan Ellis signed a long term deal @ 2.5M si I guess Davidson shouldnt get more.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Told the crew the NJ way and they laughed at me(I will point them out soon), oil have offense....so defensive d would do the boys wonders, still cant believe some would doubt Davidson alone since he was in the system.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Told the crew the NJ way and they laughed at me(I will point them out soon), oil have offense....so defensive d would do the boys wonders, still cant believe some would doubt Davidson alone since he was in the system.

umm yea... I will drink to that !! :D

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hes the guy Chia wanted Reinhart to be this year. Solid defensive D that plays it simple, but has so added skills like a rocket of a shot and some offensive awareness

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
While I am please with his play you can't determine if a player has made it in the NHL until they perform well at this level for multiple seasons (ex Lander).

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
While I am please with his play you can't determine if a player has made it in the NHL until they perform well at this level for multiple seasons (ex Lander).

yup.. 200 NHL games as per McLellan..

Davidson has a long way to go still before being considered a solid NHLer

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Been thinking of how solid this guy was for us last month. When Klefbom went down he did a lot more heavy lifting for us than he's used to and he didn't look that bad.

He's making less than 600K this season. I think it's safe to say that his salary will at least double... is it realistic to think that we'll sign him to a long term deal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad