Player Discussion Brandon Davidson - How do you like your crow?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Been thinking of how solid this guy was for us last month. When Klefbom went down he did a lot more heavy lifting for us than he's used to and he didn't look that bad.

He's making less than 600K this season. I think it's safe to say that his salary will at least double... is it realistic to think that we'll sign him to a long term deal?

I'd give him three years at 1.25 right now.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Been thinking of how solid this guy was for us last month. When Klefbom went down he did a lot more heavy lifting for us than he's used to and he didn't look that bad.

He's making less than 600K this season. I think it's safe to say that his salary will at least double... is it realistic to think that we'll sign him to a long term deal?

I think you have to go bridge with him

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Remember Cory Power Potter Play?

Davidson is a 6/7 d-man on the Oilers. Nothing more. Dudes like that don't get three year deals.

A month in the season it looked like we had 3 d-men that belonged in the NHL in Klefbom, Nurse and Sekera and eventually Davidson's consistent play became very noticeable. He's easily our 4th best d-man. He plays 3rd pairing minutes when we're healthy because most of our d-men are lefties.

I think that Davidson is looking like a borderline #4 d-man at this point. Plays solid, safe consistent hockey.

I'd be surprised if we signed him for 3 years at that low of a price. I think we'd have to give him 1.8, but he's going to have to do a helluva lot more this season to earn a 3 years extension. I think 1 year @ 1.5M looks more realistic then if he shows us more next year we can give him a 4+ year deal with a higher price tag.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Remember Cory Power Potter Play?

Davidson is a 6/7 d-man on the Oilers. Nothing more. Dudes like that don't get three year deals.

Ahhh, such bad memories. Cory Potter Power Play :shakehead

Davidson has been a pleasant surprise. I'd go two years with perhaps a little more cash than absolutely necessary. 2 years $1.5M aav would be a fair deal. Probably an extra $250K a year more than required to get a deal done.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Sign him on a 2-year deal for 1-1.25M per and if he proves he's here to stay as a very good #6-#4 then sign him for another 4 or 5 years at around 2-3M depending on what end of that spectrum he's on.

iddmitch

Jun 16, 2009
Edmonton
I believe Davidson will be a regular (or maybe I hope).

I do notice many parallels between he and Sekera. Similar skating style, stick check first, but willing to dig and lean on someone if necessary. Reasonable shot, good first pass and I would have to think he is a motivator in the room (having to fight back from illness must have some sort of impact on his teammates).

Biggest issue I see with Davidson (and all oilers dmen) is they lack the ability to control the front of their own net, break up the cycle, and win battles along the boards in our zone.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Ahhh, such bad memories. Cory Potter Power Play :shakehead

Davidson has been a pleasant surprise. I'd go two years with perhaps a little more cash than absolutely necessary. 2 years $1.5M aav would be a fair deal. Probably an extra $250K a year more than required to get a deal done.

Can't overpay on a 6/7 dman, even if it's 1/4 of a million. What possible negotiation power does Davidson have here? A#6/7 d-man in every sense of the word, who brings zero offense (maybe he can break 10 points on the year) He's an rfa with no arbitration rights (and even he does, he doesn't have any counting stats to justify any legitimate ask) that no team in the league would consider offer sheeting. Hell he doesn't play a single game on the vast majority of teams in this league. If Davidson makes more than a million, chiarelli isn't doing his job.

Last edited:

Baronsfan

Nov 10, 2010
Can't overpay on a 6/7 dman, even if it's 1/4 of a million. What possible negotiation power does Davidson have here? A#6/7 d-man in every sense of the word, who brings zero offense (maybe he can break 10 points on the year) He's an rfa with no arbitration rights (and even he does, he doesn't have any counting stats to justify any legitimate ask) that no team in the league would consider offer sheeting. Hell he doesn't play a single game on the vast majority of teams in this league. If Davidson makes more than a million, chiarelli isn't doing his job.

I always found it interesting how similar Davidson's numbers were throughout his career to Nurse's. From their junior days, to now. Obviously Davidson has had more time in the minors, but he also has had all the obstacles and lacks the Pedigree Nurse has. We all know that Davidson doesn't have the tools (skating mostly) that Nurse possesses, but at this stage they are similar players who bring much of the same to the table. Davidson will never be a 40 point guy in the NHL but I feel like if you pair him up with someone other than Gryba and use his booming point shot on the pp he would produce much more offensively than some would think, imo. He won't ever see pp time mainly due to the over abundance of forwards edm loads up on the power play though so him getting all even strength and pk minutes on a pairing with Gryba, good luck producing much offensively.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

I agree, we should be able to get him under a million for next year. The only possible leverage he has is an offer sheet, and I can't see any team going down that path - although I suppose he could be offer sheeted in the range that wouldn't cost any compensation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad