Player Discussion Brandon Carlo II

Status
Not open for further replies.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Why Brandon Carlo should thrive as Bruins' new shutdown ace in 2021 & beyond | Boston Sports Journal

Stunned Carlo ranked 1 in 5x5 Per 60 minutes out of 87 qualifying defenseman in 2018-19 and top 10 last year

All the more reason to put Lauzon with him and shut opponents down

the 6’3” Lauzon can handle this - he is a tough kid and looks like he’s having fun out there

per Conor Ryan article

The 2018-19 season was a breakthrough campaign for Carlo when it came to being rewarded for his dug-in, defensive talents. Among the 87 NHL defensemen that logged at least 1,200 5v5 minutes in 2018-19, Carlo ranked first overall in goals against per 60 minutes of play with a rate of 1.48. Other defensive stalwarts such as Colton Parayko, and JohnKlingberg ranked third and fourth in the same category.
The following campaign only featured a slight dip in those lofty numbers, with his 5v5 GA/60 rate of 1.75 ranking 10th overall among the 197 D-men with 500 minutes of ice time logged.

Crazy that all 3 guys went to the SCF or won the SC in the last 2 seasons. This should tell you how valuable a guy like Carlo is. No reason to move him.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Crazy that all 3 guys went to the SCF or won the SC in the last 2 seasons. This should tell you how valuable a guy like Carlo is. No reason to move him.

Interesting stat, wouldn’t have necessarily though he’d rank that high.

The team success you note could also be related to the system the team plays, the goaltending, etc. which will help a defensive defenseman’s numbers.

Not taking anything away from him, just saying the team data point and the individual player data point are likely somewhat impactful on each other.

Of course then there is also the issue of a lot of factors have to break the right way to get to the finals, health, hot team, hot goalie, having better teams lose in earlier rounds, a bit of luck.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm interested to see what Carlo's game looks like this coming season. I've always felt like he had more to offer offensively, but being that Krug was below average defensively, Carlo had to play conservatively as a last line of defense. This past season I was actually surprised to see that when you looked at Carlo's 5v5 point production, he had has many 5v5 points as Torey Krug. I was actually really shocked to see some of the names tied with Carlo or below Carlo last year in 5v5 points.

Same PTS as Carlo
Drew Doughty
Jacob Trouba
Jakob Chychrun

Less PTS than Carlo
TJ Brodie
Oscar Kelfbom
Mark Giordano
Matt Dumba
Seth Jones
Noah Hanifin
John Klingberg
Alec Martinez
Vince Dunn
P.K. Subban
Hampus Lindholm
Ryan McDonagh

Obviously for Carlo he doesn't the PP opportunity to put up points like some of these others, but for a guy that I think many feel is offensively challenged, its interesting to see this list vs his peer at 5v5.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Whey are people calling for calling for Carlo trade in GDT #13 ?

Because it is how this place works. The shiny new toy that rubs someone's sweet spot is always better. We have several here that want to bench Gryz injury or not in favor of Clifton. Cliffy is a decent young player but not in Gryz's league as a NHL defenseman, but there you go. Now that Lauzon is emerging as a really good d-man, and Zboril looks like he might be the real deal, Carlo is expendable :rolleyes:

Reactions: 13Hockey and hrdpuk

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
To me it's crazy to think the team can easily replace 24 yo. shutdown D who is constantly a + player.
would have much better offensive stats if he hadn't been burdened with an inferior D partner over the last several years .

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Good question.

I posted in that thread he was being bullied last night in his own end, which he was for a good chunk of the game. And we have seen this quite a bit early on this season. But he also made some big plays at the end of the game to help get the W.

In no way does this mean I want him moved. But that post attracted a lot of quick trigger fingers who do.

Flavor of the week?

Reactions: hrdpuk

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I don’t usually have much good to say about Carlo but I thought he threw his weight around quite a bit last night which was refreshing to see.

He frustrates me how soft he is with that big of a body. He’s good for a couple of big mistakes a game too.

His D partner played well last night too. They seem to pair him up with the weakest link defensively (Krug, Grz, Moore) but I’m not quite sure he can always handle the load.

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
This must be a jke....Off the cuff....right ?.

I agree with him. Carlo is perfect in what he does. His puck handling has even become a strength where it was once a weakness. He is our stopper and should remain with the team for the next 5 seasons minimum if he continues to play like this. Steady as can be.

I don't get the Hanifin infatuation. He hasn't lived up to the hype he came in with and outside of Boston he is seen as a slightly better than serviceable player. Now if we could add him to Carlo and McCavoy then things would be interesting.

Reactions: hrdpuk and Kegs

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
He played much better yesterday. Back to basics and didn't seem like he had the yips either.

Anyone who wants to trade Carlo should be relegated to the Habs board for 2 weeks as punishment :-P

Reactions: hrdpuk and Dr Hook

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Good to see him with an A on his chest. Pretty clear sign of what the team thinks of him.

He’s only 24 but has been in the league for a while, he was a full timer at 19. Good defensive defenseman often times don’t even get their first crack in the NHL until 24/25. He’s clearly a leader on the team - he’s not going to use his big size to throw open ice hits every game but he’s always clearing people out of the crease after the whistle and is the first one to back up his teammate in a scrum. I wouldn’t call him a physical player but he absolutely uses his size and reach effectively.

Another guy who is consistently under appreciated. His mistakes stand out as he doesn’t have much of an offensive touch (though he’s had some of the team’s best snipes this season), but he eats the tough minutes and has been a rock for us since he came into the league. Well deserved for sure.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He’s only 24 but has been in the league for a while, he was a full timer at 19. Good defensive defenseman often times don’t even get their first crack in the NHL until 24/25. He’s clearly a leader on the team - he’s not going to use his big size to throw open ice hits every game but he’s always clearing people out of the crease after the whistle and is the first one to back up his teammate in a scrum. I wouldn’t call him a physical player but he absolutely uses his size and reach effectively.

Another guy who is consistently under appreciated. His mistakes stand out as he doesn’t have much of an offensive touch (though he’s had some of the team’s best snipes this season), but he eats the tough minutes and has been a rock for us since he came into the league. Well deserved for sure.

There are certain fans, some who post here regularly, who expect players- especially guys the size of Carlo- to throw bone-crushing hits and be nasty. That's fine- it's all a matter of preference as to what you enjoy watching on the ice.- but Carlo is no Derian Hatcher and never will be. It isn't in him and some fans can't see past that, or forgive that. It's like Gryz being small. It isn't what they do that is the problem, it's who they are that doesn't work for those fans. Those of us who are Carlo fans can be glad that the coaches and management know what they have in him and if his lack of hard-hitting physicality was seen as a problem, he would not be getting the minutes he does.

Reactions: Dellstrom and kjpm

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
no clue, I get he`s not flashy, would love to see a nastier player but that`s on me, I fall into the trap of seeing a big guy and too often immediately think they could and should be nastier but he`s one of my fav B`s. Seems to be well respected and liked in the room and a quiet leader, at least I think he`s quiet?

Reactions: hrdpuk and Dr Hook
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad