Player Discussion Brandon Carlo II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I miss when this used to land really really well :(.

GDT's are incredibly discouraging to read these days. Went from "lolll you losers called 9-1-1 over a game" and "haha these losers believe the Colin Campbell conspiracy" to "The league has been out to get the Bruins for 15 years and Gary Bettman should be in jail" and 80 pages of ref whining.

Eh there was plenty of “the league is out to get us” stuff back then too- especially right after the Savard hit

Reactions: LSCII

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I find myself joining in less and less these days because of it. The latest bitch fest that makes me want to smash my face into a brick wall is the pissing and moaning about how the national broadcasters are against the Bruins. as if it matters or that they even care.

its insufferable, especially after the blues series. every team is now a bully the bruins are constantly victims of mean dirty teams

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
In order to absorb these types of hits you need to both have a counter "go to" move - and - have great core strength to avoid the whiplash thing. Niedermeyer had a good counter move by putting the stick tip against the boards and going a bit low with the butt end so guys coming in knew they were going to get a reverse spear if their angle was wrong. He had an "out" play off the stick angle to avoid it making it a 1/3 play for the hit vs 3 for 3. Carlo definitely needs to work something out like that and protect himself better. Likewise for a big guy like him he should not be a wet noodle on the boards for these hits. He either doesn't see them coming to brace right, or does see them coming but doesn't have the core strength to brick wall them. Either way the play was a dime a dozen "finish your check" in the playoffs play and despite Clutter being a bit of a pest, it didn't show any intent to injure IMO. Carlo needs to get his board play to another level or he will be out of the NHL in short order due to injury concerns which would be a shame.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Eh there was plenty of “the league is out to get us” stuff back then too- especially right after the Savard hit

Almost as bad as the rest of the teams fans complaining that Boston got away with murder because of Greg Campbell being Colin Campbell's son.

Reactions: CDJ

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I find myself joining in less and less these days because of it. The latest bitch fest that makes me want to smash my face into a brick wall is the pissing and moaning about how the national broadcasters are against the Bruins. as if it matters or that they even care.

The one that I find inaccurate is how they say the Canadian Hockey Media hates the Bruins. While there are a few color guys who I wonder about sometimes, Greg Millen for example. Even Garry Galley has sounded far too Islander-centric in this series. But by and large most of the hockey media up here praise the Bruins. Not just for their play but their ability to manage their team in the salary cap era and how unlike Chicago or LA, the Bruins were able to reinvent and retool to take another run with the same core group as before. I find them to be very complimentary of the Bruins. Now maybe praising the Bruins helps their "Leafs are god awful" narrative, and it seems the media respect is much larger here than it was prior to say 2013

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
In order to absorb these types of hits you need to both have a counter "go to" move - and - have great core strength to avoid the whiplash thing. Niedermeyer had a good counter move by putting the stick tip against the boards and going a bit low with the butt end so guys coming in knew they were going to get a reverse spear if their angle was wrong. He had an "out" play off the stick angle to avoid it making it a 1/3 play for the hit vs 3 for 3. Carlo definitely needs to work something out like that and protect himself better. Likewise for a big guy like him he should not be a wet noodle on the boards for these hits. He either doesn't see them coming to brace right, or does see them coming but doesn't have the core strength to brick wall them. Either way the play was a dime a dozen "finish your check" in the playoffs play and despite Clutter being a bit of a pest, it didn't show any intent to injure IMO. Carlo needs to get his board play to another level or he will be out of the NHL in short order due to injury concerns which would be a shame.
Also a decision for him to make. Pushing the puck to his teammate made him open to taking a hard hit from a forechecker known for finishing his checks vs a skilled guy like Eberle or Barzal coming in on him.

An option for Carlo is to rely on his size and strength to battle against clutterbuck along the boards. Go in slower into the corner and battle clutterbuck for the puck. Save his body for future battles.

The broadcast said he’s had concussion issues so this is what likely number 3 or more now for him and he’s like 24 or something now? Rfa so it would be to his benefit to go term on the next contract rather than end up with a short term deal given his history. Flip side is for Boston whether there are any insurance issues getting him covered given his history. If there are then the Bruins likely wont give him term if they have to cover the contract on their own if he were to get hurt with a head injury.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Doesn't matter,he is just as likely as hurting Bergeron and Pasta,then what? It's just a player playing hard? Can you imagine if that was Bergy's head? Your cup chances are gone,and Bergy would possibly be done. I called this BS before the series began,that he would be a factor,a major factor,by hurting people.
Lol so how would you like to prevent that? He’s staying within the rules, so because he hit guys too hard and hurt them he should be punished for it? Nonsense.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Didn’t think the hit was dirty. Didn’t like it, but…Carlo is documented fragile guy.

Even though a left shot, I’d like Tinordi in there.

Well you are in luck, because there are no right-shots left to go in. They had 5, they are down to just 2 and we are 8 games into the playoffs.

They'll probably shift Lauzon to RD where he broke in, and Tinordi on LD for Game 4 if Carlo doesn't go.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
He wasn’t digging a puck out, though. This isn’t the same scenario as him digging the puck out of the corner and Wilson drilling him. He was doing what so many forwards do — picking up a puck along the boards behind the net. Whether he can learn to spin away from it is another question. It’s a learned skill. He’s a good skater, though. Perhaps there’s hope. I’m not questioning whether he made the correct play. I’m merely suggesting what a lot of people, including hockey players, are saying. He didn’t protect himself.
He made the safest play imo which was absorbing the hit to move the puck. It was a one goal lead in the 3rd period of a playoff game. Protecting himself or trying to spin out of a hit behind the net and possibly turning over or miss playing the puck is not what I would want. Again the guy on the other end was freight train and did his job by making a hard hit and making the other team pay a price to move the puck. Unfortunate incident

Reactions: JerseyBruin

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
He made the safest play imo which was absorbing the hit to move the puck. It was a one goal lead in the 3rd period of a playoff game. Protecting himself or trying to spin out of a hit behind the net and possibly turning over or miss playing the puck is not what I would want. Again the guy on the other end was freight train and did his job by making a hard hit and making the other team pay a price to move the puck. Unfortunate incident
I think I’ll take the word of former NHL players who disagree with your take.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I mean I hope that's the right move for the long term well being of Carlo.

We need him, but getting him back to just go down quickly again is bad for everyone.

Cautiously optimistic, and definitely hope Carlos health/head is the first priority when making this decision.

Yeah... i want our boys to win, but I care more about Carlo's quality of life. I hope the kid is being honest and not pulling up the boot straps because " playoffs and that's what you do ".

Reactions: Flannelman

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
its insufferable, especially after the blues series. every team is now a bully the bruins are constantly victims of mean dirty teams

Not to say it doesn't exist. :nod:

My brother Greg used to bitch about officiating, and how the Wings always came up short.

The B's have been on the short end of the stick more times than not over the past 15 years.

En general, it's just bad officiating. I used to think, "Hey, they're human. It's a thankless job. Give 'em a break."

I still feel that way, but I also think officiating in the NHL is quite poor.

And that, along with "make up calls," CTE and terrible, terrible decisions from Perros & the "Dept. of Player Safety" brings us to a close.

This stuff can't go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad