Player Discussion Brandon Carlo II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
If they released him that early they gave him a aspirin and said rest few days and get back on skates and start hitting and blocking shots.

Not sure about that. Nothing you can really do in the hospital for a concussion after taking some images. Go home, sit in the dark etc. Hope you are right, though.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
NHLPA would love that haha, having to deal with accusations of players nursing injuries too long to keep the hitter off the ice.

In this case it may make sense because both players are valuable to their teams. But in a case where one player is a lot more valuable than the other it would get messy.

It would require a judgement call and policing, same as they allegedly do already for a number of things. If a team is found deliberately milking a suspension, fine them hard. And that is a small price to pay if it gets the head shots out or intentional knee on knee etc. So what if a guy milks it, the dirty player is just paying the price for the cheap shot. Boo hoo.

Reactions: hrdpuk

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If they released him that early they gave him a aspirin and said rest few days and get back on skates and start hitting and blocking shots.

Yep, being released means they didn't find anything to worry about like a brain bleed. He could still be severely concussed and we may not see him again for days, weeks, months, ever potentially. It's awful.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
It would require a judgement call and policing, same as they allegedly do already for a number of things. If a team is found deliberately milking a suspension, fine them hard. And that is a small price to pay if it gets the head shots out or intentional knee on knee etc. So what if a guy milks it, the dirty player is just paying the price for the cheap shot. Boo hoo.
Yeah I guess that’s true. I think if they just give guys the suspensions they deserve and not meaningless fines, then the current way they handle suspensions is just fine. They just have to actually give them out haha.

The fines are pointless.

Reactions: hrdpuk and Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Yeah I guess that’s true. I think if they just give guys the suspensions they deserve and not meaningless fines, then the current way they handle suspensions is just fine. They just have to actually give them out haha.

The fines are pointless.

Yes, save the fines for the clubs- if the Bruins milked an injury to keep a guy off the ice from another team, 250k out of JJ's pocket won't go over well with him. But otherwise you get Brandon Prust cup checking Brad, laughing about it and calling it the best $5k he ever spent.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

Can we also start fining/suspending refs, too?

I mean, if that hit was obviously reviewable, in what world do 4 officials not make ANY sort of call?

On top of the leagues overall lack of consistency in both on ice officiating and punishment. I thought the league was really cracking down on player safety and head injuries? Guess that's not referees concerns either?

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

The fines are pointless.

The NHLPA forced the current arrangement. The fines used to be larger, but they felt it wasn't fair for the players to suffer so they got them shifted to a comically low level.

Reactions: The National

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Happy Wilson is getting a hearing and probable suspension but shouldn't something be done to the clown crew that reffed that game?

No penalty, but here's a 10 game suspension and the idiot brigade, who had the option of reply if they had called any penalty, gets to work the next Bruins-Caps game.

Morton and Lambert should have a week off for their ineptitude, unpaid. Disgusting display from hockey’s supposed “top choices” when it comes to NHL referees.

Fire these two incompetent boobs into the sun.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
On plays like the Wilson hit yesterday where another player is injured, the offending player should be suspended for the length of the injury + a number of games. So hypothetically, if you give Wilson 5 games, he would have to sit until Carlo returns to game action. Once Carlo plays a game, then the 5 game suspension count starts. This policy would go a long way towards removing headshots and other dirty plays from the game.

The only problem with this is let’s say he does it John Moore. Bs don’t really play him anyways and now they can just sit him for the rest of the year and one of their best players doesn’t get to play. What if McAvoy blows up Rooney on a bad hit and the same thing was done by the Rangers. Good in theory, doesn’t work in practice.

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
I've watched the replay of this hit 5 times. I see a lot of commentary stating that the hit "caused Carlo's head to impact the boards."

"Their first test was whether the hit satisfied the criteria for an illegal hit to the head. That wasn't a solid case, given that Carlo's head may not have been the primary point of contact on the hit and that Wilson appeared to attempt a full body check on the play."

Caps' Wilson gets in-person hearing for Carlo hit

The wording seems to consistently be avoiding the truth: the primary point of contact was Carlo's head, which was impacted by Wilson's upper arm/tricep, and the head then hit the glass.

How is this hard to understand? A dirty player smoked Carlo directly in the side of the head, against the boards, when he was vulnerable. Wilson should get 40 for this one when compounded with the Sundqvist suspension/hit.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I've watched the replay of this hit 5 times. I see a lot of commentary stating that the hit "caused Carlo's head to impact the boards."

"Their first test was whether the hit satisfied the criteria for an illegal hit to the head. That wasn't a solid case, given that Carlo's head may not have been the primary point of contact on the hit and that Wilson appeared to attempt a full body check on the play."

The wording seems to consistently be avoiding the truth: the primary point of contact was Carlo's head, which was impacted by Wilson's upper arm/tricep, and the head then hit the glass.

How is this hard to understand? A dirty player smoked Carlo directly in the side of the head, against the boards, when he was vulnerable. Wilson should get 40 for this one when compounded with the Sundqvist suspension/hit.

Well let’s break down the hit.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Well I fudged that up. Let me try again

Attachments

• A904B5FC-B717-4286-BC17-0BAF11C9E0F4.png
    A904B5FC-B717-4286-BC17-0BAF11C9E0F4.png
    844.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 2D28371E-057A-41C1-8C93-EC47D57EB983.png
    2D28371E-057A-41C1-8C93-EC47D57EB983.png
    845.7 KB · Views: 7

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
To me this looks like initial point of contact. He then rolls off him squashing his head into the boards. I think it was more of a blindside hit then principal contact being the head. It was a viscous hit for sure. I think he was frustrated at Fredrick. Fredrick might be the answer to Tom Wilson.

Attachments

• 300CC98F-64AF-48D2-9457-6E4126D5B10B.png
    300CC98F-64AF-48D2-9457-6E4126D5B10B.png
    854.6 KB · Views: 6

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Morton and Lambert should have a week off for their ineptitude, unpaid. Disgusting display from hockey’s supposed “top choices” when it comes to NHL referees.

I’d also like to know why Frederic got the instigator and a 10min misconduct for that fight hah

hope Carlos aight though!

Reactions: HustleB

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I'm all for Wilson getting the book thrown at him. As far as I'm concerned, whatever he gets won't be enough.

When you watch the replay frame by frame, the head was not the primary point of contact. For it to be the primary point, it has to be the first contact.

The NHL wants him suspended. They couldn't go with hit to the head as the rule is written. Kudos to them for finding a way to do it with boarding.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles

They should be held responsible as well, I agree.

But I have to wonder if the non call gave them more energy in the moment than it would have if they called it correctly.

Or if the momentum was strictly from losing Carlo to a dirty hit and wanting to win it for Carlo.

Either way those guys should be held accountable for their part in that mess last night, they admitted they lost control with that call on Dillon to start the period. Like that was some sort of payback to us.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
The only problem with this is let’s say he does it John Moore. Bs don’t really play him anyways and now they can just sit him for the rest of the year and one of their best players doesn’t get to play. What if McAvoy blows up Rooney on a bad hit and the same thing was done by the Rangers. Good in theory, doesn’t work in practice.

Bring in an independent doctor. If he determines the player is healthy enough to play, it doesn't matter if he actually plays. Suspension ends then.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Wilson suspended 7 games per wbz news. He got off easy.
NHL continues to show they don’t care about player safety.
You have to remember that it is a shorten season so the amount may not look like much. If it was a regular 82 game season it would amount to 10 games which is around where I thought he would get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad