Player Discussion Brandon Carlo II

Status
Not open for further replies.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Holy Coronation, Batman.

Getting way ahead of ourselves here IMO.

He’s improved and is improving but not ready to gush over him just yet. He’ll need to keep improving before I label him a “stud”.

Concerned that DS will overpay our two young RFAs and get burned. Need to see consistent improvement from Carlo and health from McAvoy.
He has had a good year. Health is a factor obviously. Steady improvement every year. I don’t think DS will overpay. It’s not his style. (ie: Chiarelli) He will have a ceiling but he Hasn’t reached it yet. I don’t think offense will be a main stay with him. He doesn’t need it. Just needs to get that first pass away. Defensively he’s getting better all day.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He has had a good year. Health is a factor obviously. Steady improvement every year. I don’t think DS will overpay. It’s not his style. (ie: Chiarelli) He will have a ceiling but he Hasn’t reached it yet. I don’t think offense will be a main stay with him. He doesn’t need it. Just needs to get that first pass away. Defensively he’s getting better all day.

Carlo`s game is really rounding into the kind of game we used to see many have a few years back and that`s of a D-man who, gulp, actually focuses mostly on the D aspect of the game.

So many now playing on the back end have that offensive side to them and while I think Carlo can bring a touch more on that end, he is clearly a shut down guy first, just love the guy`s growth and fingers crossed he gets to experience his first playoff this year

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Any way we can get Bourque or someone to work with Carlo?

So many offensive opportunities due to his skating

But on the other hand what good is it if he cant finish

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
He reminds me of a more mobile Hal Gill.

I don't expect him to be an offensive juggernaut. Its not his game. If it happens, fine, but in the meantime appreciate him for what he is.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara

I don't expect him to be an offensive juggernaut. Its not his game. If it happens, fine, but in the meantime appreciate him for what he is.
I hope to heck he is better than Gill, he already shows signs of pushing the offense. That comparison is depressing

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Any way we can get Bourque or someone to work with Carlo?

So many offensive opportunities due to his skating

But on the other hand what good is it if he cant finish
That is what I said last week. Get Bourque to work with Carlo and Grizz with shooting.

Right now he is as they say on the ice - All Swedish and No Finnish

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I`m a huge draft and develop guy, and very much a fan who tends to fall on the side of patience and time when it comes to prospects and my expectations after they have been drafted about how quickly they have an impact in the organization. Watching Carlo`s game evolve from where it was on game 1 of his career to now has been amazing. Honestly, he`d be my 7th man winner, won`t be the sexy pick here and while his game hasn`t completely developed, the kid has clearly soaked up every bit of teaching/coaching he`s received

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
This guy alone is proof that you shouldn't' make quick judgement's about a player's progressions or their future careers.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I'm not sure what the advanced statistics say, but his standard statistics show that he's largely been the same player each of his 3 seasons. 20 minute, 2nd pairing, defensive defenseman. His rookie year scoring was an outlier. Over the past two years he's on a scoring pace of 7 points per 82 games. Really the only statistical change this year is that his hits and takeaways have increased. That's not a surprise, since the eye-test says that he's been more physical this year.

In terms of his contract, there aren't many comparables to him. I imagine his agent will try to get him something like the Brett Pesce contract. The Connor Murphy contract might be another one, but that's from almost 3 years ago. However, both were scoring at double his pace.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
And how exactly is Brandon Carlo proof of that?

Maybe proof is too strong a word then. I just recall more than once mentions of him being traded these past few years, frustrations that he wasn't going to 'get it' and he was just too soft. It's possible i'm misremembering some of this, but I've always felt like he was, in fact, going to get it. It was just a matter of time.

Of course, he could just get another sever injury and this all becomes moot anyway. My point simply is that i'm glad he's changing peoples' minds this season. The last few - season-ending injuries aside - there was plenty of frustration about his game

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
It's not like he was a dark horse out of nowhere. He was a highly rated prospect.
If you were selected 37th overall, ahead prospects 38-500 on the planet, people would expect you to develop and produce.

Reactions: BruinDust

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Deserving of a bump. I sort of said it in the GDT, but I will say it here. He's been our best D this year and is an absolute horse. He is our best skating D (by a mile) and when he uses it to create odd man rushes or to rush the puck up the ice, which he has been doing more and more of, it pushes him to #1 D status IMO, and he should only improve his offense. Maybe not your Brent Burns or Karlsson #1 D, but a shutdown D who skates like the wind. As I mentioned in the GDT, he's my 7th player award winner. STUDDDDDD

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Deserving of a bump. I sort of said it in the GDT, but I will say it here. He's been our best D this year and is an absolute horse. He is our best skating D (by a mile) and when he uses it to create odd man rushes or to rush the puck up the ice, which he has been doing more and more of, it pushes him to #1 D status IMO, and he should only improve his offense. Maybe not your Brent Burns or Karlsson #1 D, but a shutdown D who skates like the wind. As I mentioned in the GDT, he's my 7th player award winner. STUDDDDDD

I like this post but Grzelyck is a better skater in my book.

That's nitpicking, though. Carlo has been a complete STUDDDDDD this year, agreed.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Ok here it is . Carlo is our mvp this year and why we are true contenders. He's the stem that's holding up the tree back there. He deserves an A on his sweater as well. If people asked if I had a chance to redo and I could pick connor or Barzal at the draft again i would pick Carlo without hesitation. He's as important to us as patrice is at the moment. Cassidy should rest him as much as he can. Without him in playoffs were done.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
saw an ad on the broadcast for 7th player voting... I don't see how carlo doesn't win in a land slide

if McAvoy/chara are the 2 guys you expect to be 1 and 2 on the important chart for dmen… then having your number 3 guy outplay them is something

admittedly, carlo struggled some last year. being broken away from chara and told to cover for guys like krug was too much for him at that point in time {maybe he can do it in the future though?} This year though, carlo has been a MAN.

its a bit strange he doesn't score more... he does have enough skating that youd expect a bit more offense. guy is just jinxed around open nets for some reason?

for those wishing we could get him signed long term under 4 mill... his season isn't going to make you all happy. this year carlo is having will get him paid. hes worth the money though... I don't stress over paying him brodin/pesce/tanev money. carlo is going to be every bit as important to us as these guys are to their teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia