Confirmed with Link: Brady Tkachuk - The decider: signs 3 year ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Was H.Sedin bad at developing plays or low Hockey IQ?

I mean, leading all freshman in shots (28th league wide) and his team in assists (40th in the league, if I recall) seems like a good indication that there were plenty of plays developing while Tkachuk was out there.

I think the goals will come; he scored fine in the USDP, pretty similar pace to guys like Conner, Tuch, or Keller did in their final years in that league. I think playing with Greenway as his center meant taking on the playmaker role. He's not going to be a sniper, but from what I've seen he has a nice release, and gets pucks on net. He's got soft hands in tight and will go to the slot and take abuse. He's going to score his share imo.

I was more referring to his supposed prowess as a net front presence.

H Sedin and Brady play completely different styles. So I don't think their goal totals are a fair comparison.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I was more referring to his supposed prowess as a net front presence.

H Sedin and Brady play completely different styles. So I don't think their goal totals are a fair comparison.
Holmstrom was one of the great net front pressences from the days of Detroits dynasty and wasn't a big goal scorer save two years. Net presence doesn't always lead to goals for the guy screaning the goalie but is still really beneficial to the team.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I think the goals will come; he scored fine in the USDP, pretty similar pace to guys like Conner, Tuch, or Keller did in their final years in that league. I think playing with Greenway as his center meant taking on the playmaker role. He's not going to be a sniper, but from what I've seen he has a nice release, and gets pucks on net. He's got soft hands in tight and will go to the slot and take abuse. He's going to score his share imo.
Those are some pretty good names but Tkachuk didn’t really have comparable goal numbers to Keller or Connor in the NCAA/USDP. He was similar to Tuch yes, but Keller and Connor are in another tier compared to him.

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Holmstrom was one of the great net front pressences from the days of Detroits dynasty and wasn't a big goal scorer save two years. Net presence doesn't always lead to goals for the guy screaning the goalie but is still really beneficial to the team.

Yea, but Brady is a 4th overall pick.

I realize that he plays an effective net front game, but he best develop a scoring touch while doing so.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Those are some pretty good names but Tkachuk didn’t really have comparable goal numbers to Keller or Connor in the NCAA/USHL. He was similar to Tuch yes, but Keller and Connor are in another tier compared to him.

Tkachuk 12 G in 24 games (28 in 56 pace)
Connor 34 G in 56 games
Keller 13 G in 23 games (31 in 56 pace)
Tuch 13 in 26 (28 in 56 pace)

All seems pretty close. Tkachuk had a less succesfull NCAA year, but he was pretty similar in the USHL

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Tkachuk 12 G in 24 games (28 in 56 pace)
Connor 34 G in 56 games
Keller 13 G in 23 games (31 in 56 pace)
Tuch 13 in 26 (28 in 56 pace)

All seems pretty close. Tkachuk had a less succesfull NCAA year, but he was pretty similar in the USHL
I quoted your post that said USDP, which the totals are not similar. My mistake saying USHL instead of USDP.

Keller - 37 Goals in 62 games.
Tkachuk - 25 Goals in 61 games.
(USDP)

Connor 31 Goals in 56 games.
(USHL)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If a player plays in the NHL too early their confidence can get stunted if they aren't given the proper linemates and situations.

They learn to play scared. It's why Ceci looks like he is losing confidejceebery year. We threw him to the wolves.

That has to be part of their personality. BT doesn't seem the type pf person to be scared to play against tough competition.

Ceci hasn't been great because he's not playing the role best suited for his strengths, not because his confidence is shot. He's fine confidence wise, he's just being asked to do stuff that he isn't really suited for.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Ceci is not fine confidence wise. He double clutches every shot and pass.

I don't know how you can watch Ceci play with the puck and come away thinking that he is confident.

That's not confidence, that's a guy who struggles to think as fast as the situation demands. He would be better off in those situations to make a set play or skate it out. I don't think Ceci sees the plays develop as fast as a passing d man needs to.

Ceci looks his best when he has the puck and he's skating it out, otherwise he is indecisive and overthinks the play. He is guy who has been put in endless situations where he can grow his confidence, he just can't think fast enough. regardless of how his thread goes in here, the coach and his team mates have been very supportive, he's not lacking in that department.

In addition, our forwards were pretty terrible at getting open for all of our d men last year, this upcoming year hopefully implements a different transition plan. We don't have the horses for our D men to have go it alone while our forwards bolt towards the O zone.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
That's not confidence, that's a guy who struggles to think as fast as the situation demands. He would be better off in those situations to make a set play or skate it out. I don't think Ceci sees the plays develop as fast as a passing d man needs to.

Ceci looks his best when he has the puck and he's skating it out, otherwise he is indecisive and overthinks the play. He is guy who has been put in endless situations where he can grow his confidence, he just can't think fast enough. regardless of how his thread goes in here, the coach and his team mates have been very supportive, he's not lacking in that department.

In addition, our forwards were pretty terrible at getting open for all of our d men last year, this upcoming year hopefully implements a different transition plan. We don't have the horses for our D men to have go it alone while our forwards bolt towards the O zone.

Well that's the thing, I think he's gotten worse in his decision making.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Well that's the thing, I think he's gotten worse in his decision making.

I think it has a lot to do with him being asked to play a role that he isn't wired for. He plays his best when he's not a shut down guy, but a rushing D man. When he's fed the puck on the fly and is free to skate down the wing into the offensive zone he can look good. When he's got his back to the play fighting for the puck on the boards against the oppositions best players, he tends to look lost.

There are times when he gets the puck and tries to make plays outside of his wheel house, either because his slow partner is standing 5 feet from him, his forwards are already clearing the zone, or both. I'd like to see him on the third pairing tasked with rushing the puck and creating offence with his shot, confusing forwards be driving deep and passing back to trailing forwards.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Is it confidence...or is it success? Both things are pretty intertwined.

You look at the absolutely dominant lines Matthew Tkachuk was on in the USDP and in London. Having those kinds of stats under your belt and trophies on the mantle have the same effect as having the top enforcer on your team. You get that extra little 'oomph' and feel like you can do anything out there. Swagger.

In an alternate universe somewhere where Matthew grows up in Switzerland and playing in that system instead, does he turn into the same player?

Reactions: derriko

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Is it confidence...or is it success? Both things are pretty intertwined.

You look at the absolutely dominant lines Matthew Tkachuk was on in the USDP and in London. Having those kinds of stats under your belt and trophies on the mantle have the same effect as having the top enforcer on your team. You get that extra little 'oomph' and feel like you can do anything out there. Swagger.

In an alternate universe somewhere where Matthew grows up in Switzerland and playing in that system instead, does he turn into the same player?

Of course he does because he got that swagger from his Dad and his upbringing, not his trophies. And there is not a single junior level medal that's going to make him feel swaggerific in the NHL when the pros come crashing down on him.

I guarantee that no one feels an extra oomph in their first pro game because they scored lots in junior, like never. They would feel good though if they got a bunch of praise from a star on their team after a good shift, or their enforcer told them to play their game cause he's got their back.

Honestly, I think that whole post was completely wrong, but in a nice way.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Of course he does because he got that swagger from his Dad and his upbringing, not his trophies. And there is not a single junior level medal that's going to make him feel swaggerific in the NHL when the pros come crashing down on him.

I guarantee that no one feels an extra oomph in their first pro game because they scored lots in junior, like never. They would feel good though if they got a bunch of praise from a star on their team after a good shift, or their enforcer told them to play their game cause he's got their back.

Honestly, I think that whole post was completely wrong, but in a nice way.

Honestly have you played any sports?

Domininating at any level is an exhilarating feeling. Makes your confidence soar and makes you attempt more creative and difficult things because you realize you can do it.

Boro isn't inspiring anyone to greater heights, This isn't Rudy.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Honestly have you played any sports?

Domininating at any level is an exhilarating feeling. Makes your confidence soar and makes you attempt more creative and difficult things because you realize you can do it.

Boro isn't inspiring anyone to greater heights, This isn't Rudy.

Nope, never played one ever.

Buuuut, I can imagine that dominating is a great feeling.... and then you move up to a much better level and you know that you dominating at a much lower level doesn't really apply anymore, so you don't feel so exhilarated anymore, you feel like you need to focus and put in a ton of work so that maybe you can stick in the big leagues.

I see you chose Boro, but I mentioned star players, and we were talking about "top enforcers". Boro isn't really a top enforcer now is he. A guy like Neil talking to a rookie would mean something I would think.

But hey, who can say really.... Being great in junior is wonderful, but it's not an indicator of success in the NHL, like at all. Some do and some don't and it's got to do with their ability to change their game to suit the pro game, not how great they felt about being great.

You really shouldn't sleep on guys like Boro who made it as regulars in the NHL based solely and determination an fearlessness. Guys in here like to diss the guy all the time, but the players on the team absolutely love him.

Maybe this is more like Rudy than you think, you would know if you've ever played sports...

Reactions: PoutineSp00nZ

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I disagree with everything in this post, especially the bit about how players bust because they played in the NHL too early. This just isn't the case at all. The reason why a player busts is because in the end they don;'t have what it takes to play in the NHL, it's not because they missed that one last season in junior that would have made them an NHL player.

A guy like Yak wasn't missing more development time, he was missing the ability to play effectively with the best players in the world.

Disagree all you want. The stats dont lie in your favor.
Do you actually hetek this is going into this season?

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Nope, never played one ever.

Buuuut, I can imagine that dominating is a great feeling.... and then you move up to a much better level and you know that you dominating at a much lower level doesn't really apply anymore, so you don't feel so exhilarated anymore, you feel like you need to focus and put in a ton of work so that maybe you can stick in the big leagues.

At the same time, those who dominated in junior will often be told to keep doing what they’ve done in the past because that’s what’s worked. Whereas Brady doesn’t really know how to be a big time scorer so he still has to figure that out. Not easy to do at the highest level, another reason why I hope he ends up in London this year.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Disagree all you want. The stats dont lie in your favor.
Do you actually hetek this is going into this season?

Why would I want stats to lie in my favour Bert? Also, what stats are you talking about?

I'm not sure what the rest of your post meant, but I do trust PD and the Tkachuks to do whats best for BT's long term development. I also expect BT to work his butt off to try and make the team. Rather than assume that I know better than everyone about player development, I'm content to watch training camps unfold before forming an opinion on where I think BT would be best suited to play.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
At the same time, those who dominated in junior will often be told to keep doing what they’ve done in the past because that’s what’s worked. Whereas Brady doesn’t really know how to be a big time scorer so he still has to figure that out. Not easy to do at the highest level, another reason why I hope he ends up in London this year.

Again, I don't think this is how it works. Also, he was a playmaker last year, not the guy relied on to score. I'd prefer to see him get the exact development he needs from our coaching staff in the AHL, as well as working on systems and chemistry with our other young blue chippers.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Again, I don't think this is how it works. Also, he was a playmaker last year, not the guy relied on to score. I'd prefer to see him get the exact development he needs from our coaching staff in the AHL, as well as working on systems and chemistry with our other young blue chippers.

I’m sure you could look up interviews with young players breaking in to the NHL or any pro league and they will often talk about having to play their style of game because that’s what got them there. Sure, you have to make adjustments to the pro game and to your teams game plan but a good coach will let his young player be himself.

A guy like Tkachuk needs to work on his goal scoring. He’s not some elite playmaker and I’m sure even he would attest to not putting the puck in the net enough for BU. Hopefully he gains a little knowledge and confidence in how to better score goals at the junior level, and takes that with him into the NHL. It could go a long way for him.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I’m sure you could look up interviews with young players breaking in to the NHL or any pro league and they will often talk about having to play their style of game because that’s what got them there. Sure, you have to make adjustments to the pro game and to your teams game plan but a good coach will let his young player be himself.

A guy like Tkachuk needs to work on his goal scoring. He’s not some elite playmaker and I’m sure even he would attest to not putting the puck in the net enough for BU. Hopefully he gains a little knowledge and confidence in how to better score goals at the junior level, and takes that with him into the NHL. It could go a long way for him.

Scoring in Junior means nothing in terms of scoring in the NHL.

It's how you score that matters here. Lazar scored lots in Junior, but even at the time a few of us were saying "he scores a lot but most of those are pure garbage goals".

If he is able to dominate junior through sheer physicality, sending him to Junior might not be the best way to go about it.

Never mind the personality factor: some people only respond to being challenged while others need more support. There's no right or wrong, just what might work and what probably won't. I like to think the Lazar situation has made that clear to our management.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

A close comparable to Tkatchuk could be Blake Wheeler. Big winger that has more of a playmaking touch to his game that can also score. Wheeler was drafted high (5th overall) in 2004 and spent the next 3 years at the U of Minny developing. He then played a couple years in Boston scoring approx. 40 points and got better and better as the years passed. I think that's a realistic scenario for Tkachuk, I don't think he will come in the league a be good like his brother right off the bat. He needs to refine his game, he needs to gain confidence in his scoring abilities (for example scoring more than 8 goals).

Rumours are that he will likely end up in London and if these rumors are true it makes a lot of sense for him to go there and play the year. I'm confident that the team will make the right decision, and that decision will most likely to send him back down to London.

Also I'm not sure why you think London is not an adequate place for Tkachuk to develop because they have developed so many blue chippers and great prospects like Bouchard, Foudy, Formenton, Thomas, Pu, Mete, Juolevi, Marner, M. Tkatchuk, Dvorak. I think there's a link here also with Matthew going to London, it makes a lot of sense for Brady to make that move. more than Belleville IMO.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
A close comparable to Tkatchuk could be Blake Wheeler. Big winger that has more of a playmaking touch to his game that can also score. Wheeler was drafted high (5th overall) in 2004 and spent the next 3 years at the U of Minny developing. He then played a couple years in Boston scoring approx. 40 points and got better and better as the years passed. I think that's a realistic scenario for Tkachuk, I don't think he will come in the league a be good like his brother right off the bat. He needs to refine his game, he needs to gain confidence in his scoring abilities (for example scoring more than 8 goals).

Rumours are that he will likely end up in London and if these rumors are true it makes a lot of sense for him to go there and play the year. I'm confident that the team will make the right decision, and that decision will most likely to send him back down to London.

Also I'm not sure why you think London is not an adequate place for Tkachuk to develop because they have developed so many blue chippers and great prospects like Bouchard, Foudy, Formenton, Thomas, Pu, Mete, Juolevi, Marner, M. Tkatchuk, Dvorak. I think there's a link here also with Matthew going to London, it makes a lot of sense for Brady to make that move. more than Belleville IMO.

We don't know how Wheeler would have developed in the NHL compared to what he did, but we do know that he didn't want to play with the team that drafted him. This could have played a part in why he chose not to go pro.

As for London, I'm not of a mind that it's not adequate, but I like what PD has been building in Bellville this offseason, and I think playing a whole season with Brown for example, under the development of Mann would be good as well. Especially given that the Sens can completely control all aspects of BT usage and deployment. By the looks of it PD has designed our Bsens team to be a development team and could be good for BT to develop along with our other young promising players.

It's not black and white, good or bad, it's just a personal preference but I'll defer to better judgement regardless and be fine with it.

Reactions: Boud

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Scoring in Junior means nothing in terms of scoring in the NHL.

It's how you score that matters here. Lazar scored lots in Junior, but even at the time a few of us were saying "he scores a lot but most of those are pure garbage goals".

If he is able to dominate junior through sheer physicality, sending him to Junior might not be the best way to go about it.

Never mind the personality factor: some people only respond to being challenged while others need more support. There's no right or wrong, just what might work and what probably won't. I like to think the Lazar situation has made that clear to our management.

Speaking as someone who watched a lot of Oil Kings when he was on the team, Lazar scored a lot of his goals coming down the right wing, he had a good shot. He wasn't scared to go to the net but most of his goals weren't pure garbage goals. Lazar's problem wasnt that he was a crash and bang type of player, it's that he didn't further his skills once he made the NHL. I do believe a part of the failure of Lazar had to do with him being rushed, he never figured out how to play in traffic, even at lower levels it was something he wasn't great at. Once he hit the NHL where there's less time and space he couldn't utilize the parts of his game that made him a 1st round pick. Even though he was physically ready to play in the NHL, Lazar would have benefitted from more time in Junior. It's not just about results on the score sheet, it's about working on elements in of your game that will help your game translate to the pro level.

Not saying time in Junior would be as beneficial to Tkachuk, but it's not an idea to eliminate because a player maybe physically ready for a higher level.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad