Confirmed with Link: Brady Tkachuk - The decider: signs 3 year ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yeah I agree. I don’t think being physically ready should ever really be the driving force. I mean if the player shows that they are mentally ready, and are the type to thrive by being challenged, then the pros can be good for development IF they are physically ready to take the abuse.

The part I’m most interested in with BT is not him being physically ready, but seeing him apply his relentless determination to making the team out of camp. It’s this quality over everything else that I think will make the coaches decision difficult.

I also imagine that the Tkachuks and PD sat down and devised a plan for BTs development should he not make the team out of camp, so that they already know whether he’ll be off to Belleville or London before training camp even starts.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Speaking as someone who watched a lot of Oil Kings when he was on the team, Lazar scored a lot of his goals coming down the right wing, he had a good shot. He wasn't scared to go to the net but most of his goals weren't pure garbage goals. Lazar's problem wasnt that he was a crash and bang type of player, it's that he didn't further his skills once he made the NHL. I do believe a part of the failure of Lazar had to do with him being rushed, he never figured out how to play in traffic, even at lower levels it was something he wasn't great at. Once he hit the NHL where there's less time and space he couldn't utilize the parts of his game that made him a 1st round pick. Even though he was physically ready to play in the NHL, Lazar would have benefitted from more time in Junior. It's not just about results on the score sheet, it's about working on elements in of your game that will help your game translate to the pro level.

Not saying time in Junior would be as beneficial to Tkachuk, but it's not an idea to eliminate because a player maybe physically ready for a higher level.

I will defer to you on Lazar. That was a while ago and I only paid attention at the memorial cup and in the playoffs after we drafted him. I mostly remember beeing underwhelmed but I am no scout, I have been wrong about many players: I had rather lofty expectations for Peter Regin (damn shoulder!!).

Agreed on the rest. I didn't mean to imply he shouldn't go to Junior, I believe that certain players benefit from Junior while others benefit more from learning the structure of the game at the NHL level. No idea where Tkachuk fits, I don't watch college games.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Scoring in Junior means nothing in terms of scoring in the NHL.

It's how you score that matters here. Lazar scored lots in Junior, but even at the time a few of us were saying "he scores a lot but most of those are pure garbage goals".

If he is able to dominate junior through sheer physicality, sending him to Junior might not be the best way to go about it.

Never mind the personality factor: some people only respond to being challenged while others need more support. There's no right or wrong, just what might work and what probably won't. I like to think the Lazar situation has made that clear to our management.

Whether it's how you score or that you score that matters, Tkachuk needs to work on both.

I think it can matter that you've scored at high rates in the past. You mentioned Lazar but there are countless examples of guys that have scored a lot in lower levels that ended up being big time scorers in the NHL. Isn't it possible that they carried their confidence as well as an understanding of how to score goals in lower levels, to help them in the NHL? With a player who has dominated as a goal scorer at other levels, at least he can think "I've scored at a high rates in the past, I can do it here, too," as opposed to "I have never been a big-time goal scorer, I better crash and bang to make a difference."

Send Tkachuk to London and have the coaches help him figure out how to better score goals. He needs to work on getting his shot off better, and finding those quiet areas to help him as a goal scorer, among other things. You put him in the NHL this year, I can't imagine him having much confidence as a goal scorer after last year, plus he doesn't have a great understanding of how to consistently score goals. On top of that, he'd likely be in the bottom 6 without much PP time or the better offensive linemates to play with. Not a great way to develop as a goal scorer.

Reactions: bert

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Whether it's how you score or that you score that matters, Tkachuk needs to work on both.

I think it can matter that you've scored at high rates in the past. You mentioned Lazar but there are countless examples of guys that have scored a lot in lower levels that ended up being big time scorers in the NHL. Isn't it possible that they carried their confidence as well as an understanding of how to score goals in lower levels, to help them in the NHL? With a player who has dominated as a goal scorer at other levels, at least he can think "I've scored at a high rates in the past, I can do it here, too," as opposed to "I have never been a big-time goal scorer, I better crash and bang to make a difference."

Send Tkachuk to London and have the coaches help him figure out how to better score goals. He needs to work on getting his shot off better, and finding those quiet areas to help him as a goal scorer, among other things. You put him in the NHL this year, I can't imagine him having much confidence as a goal scorer after last year, plus he doesn't have a great understanding of how to consistently score goals. On top of that, he'd likely be in the bottom 6 without much PP time or the better offensive linemates to play with. Not a great way to develop as a goal scorer.

Coaches in London can’t teach BT how to score in the NHL, the coaches in Belleville would have a better time doing that.

As for bottom 6 minutes, I would feel comfortable saying that there is zero chance that BT would be playing in the bottom six with zero PP time. They want to maximize the development of our kids, especially BT, and we have the retool on the go and the GM’s directive to ensure it.

I don’t see confidence ever being an issue for Brady, regardless, I’m cool with whatever happens.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
39913597_10156532755589477_5529161775259320320_n.jpg

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Coaches in London can’t teach BT how to score in the NHL, the coaches in Belleville would have a better time doing that.

As for bottom 6 minutes, I would feel comfortable saying that there is zero chance that BT would be playing in the bottom six with zero PP time. They want to maximize the development of our kids, especially BT, and we have the retool on the go and the GM’s directive to ensure it.

I don’t see confidence ever being an issue for Brady, regardless, I’m cool with whatever happens.

So Dale Hunter can't teach scoring goals? Must be why guys like Horvat, Marner, and M.Tkachuk had such a hard time transitioning to the NHL gam... er, oh wait....

I have no problem with Brady going to the AHL to develop, I think playing there will help his game, but that doesn't mean playing in London won't. Both options have their advantages imo. My personal preference is AHL tbh, I think learning to deal with the heavier forcheck and stronger opposition will help more than gaining confidence dominating a league of 16 to 20 year olds, but in London he'd be getting lots of time to hone his offensive game.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
So Dale Hunter can't teach scoring goals? Must be why guys like Horvat, Marner, and M.Tkachuk had such a hard time transitioning to the NHL gam... er, oh wait....

I have no problem with Brady going to the AHL to develop, I think playing there will help his game, but that doesn't mean playing in London won't. Both options have their advantages imo. My personal preference is AHL tbh, I think learning to deal with the heavier forcheck and stronger opposition will help more than gaining confidence dominating a league of 16 to 20 year olds, but in London he'd be getting lots of time to hone his offensive game.
Yep AHL would be where I would like him also...Let him and Brown blowtorch that league,or at least try too

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I don’t mind sending Tkackuk to Junior for another year to dominate and gain confidence and skill. I am not certain that the AHL is the best place for him at this time. I certainly feel that the NHL is not the right place for him this coming season. He needs time to mature and develop his skills.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
you dont leave college hockey to go to the OHL

i am actually surprised that people and even so called hockey experts think that.

Its AHL but most likely NHL

Reactions: topshelf15

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

i am actually surprised that people and even so called hockey experts think that.

Aside from the guys who do that every single year, some at the insistence of their NHL teams, sure.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Aside from the guys who do that every single year, some at the insistence of their NHL teams, sure.
Top end prospects like this who are close to being NHL ready aren't going to junior. I would be shocked if he went from BU to London.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Charlie Coyle did exactly that, and said himself that going to Saint John was a turning point for him.
Coyle wasn't as good a prospect as Brady

Brady is a high high end draft pick he is ready for the pros

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Its not like he actually did that though.. He wants to try to make the NHL team.. he has to leave College to do that.
If he doesn't make it there is a choice and he is just turning 19 in the fall so .. CHL is an option. And the Knights are a good option... There would be a lot of determining factors.. starting with how close he is to stepping in.. and is there a path/room for him to step in at the right spot.. What is best for his development/where does he need to improve the most .. we can all have opinions on that. If it comes down to it I think they will try to make the right decision for Brady. Like Bondra said it happens where players play 1 season in the NCAA.. sometimes go to the AHL ... try out for the NHL team the next year and go back to the CHL .. because that's what they need and where they will develop the most.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Brady unless he absolutely owns his 9 games ,is likely in the AHL with some guys he should already have some chemistry with ,and will see all sorts of key mins learning the pro game...Cant see why he would learn more going down a step from the NCAA instead of there

Reactions: HSF

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Coyle wasn't as good a prospect as Brady
Very similar actually, though Brady is the better guy undoubtedly. Coyle was a recent 1st round pick who had an extremely similar 18 year old season, from the same school. He most certainly was a big name prospect.

At 18 - Coyle
2010-11Boston UniversityH-East37gp7g19a26p34
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
31.png
USA U20
WJC-206gp2g4a6p41
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

At 18 - Tkachuk
2017-18Boston UniversityH-East40gp8g23a31p6115
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

31.png
USA U20
WJC-207gp3g6a9p26
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: FolignoQuantumLeap

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Brady went 4th overall in a good draft

he is a much better prospect than Coyle who went at the end of the 1st

I personally think he will work his way on the roster just the way he plays the game he plays a pro level game. Its not like Coyle and Bellows

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Very similar actually, though Brady is the better guy undoubtedly. Coyle was a recent 1st round pick who had an extremely similar 18 year old season, from the same school. He most certainly was a big name prospect.

At 18 - Coyle
2010-11Boston UniversityH-East37gp7g19a26p34
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
31.png
USA U20
WJC-206gp2g4a6p41
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
At 18 - Tkachuk
2017-18Boston UniversityH-East40gp8g23a31p6115
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
31.png
USA U20
WJC-207gp3g6a9p26
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
your first line says it all. Brady is the better guy and lets not forget his pro style of play. He will be in the AHL or NHL

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Brady unless he absolutely owns his 9 games ,is likely in the AHL with some guys he should already have some chemistry with ,and will see all sorts of key mins learning the pro game...Cant see why he would learn more going down a step from the NCAA instead of there
Bingo. he is done with amateur hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->