Would you sign Brady Tkachuk at 8x8?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

Just as @BondraTime has been predicting would happen, which is sad. I am starting to think that we have been played by the Tkachuk camp to think that they were ever going to accept a long-term deal. It is starting to look more and more like a short-term deal was always their goal, but wanted to save it until the end to make it look like mutual resolution to get Brady back on the team a.s.a.p.

Reactions: bert

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020

Makes sense, Brady will likely benefit from the team getting better over that time and he can ask for more money later and/or get moved. Though obviously with a low term he should not be expecting a large salary. I dont think the team should be under any pressure to give him big money. Something around 5.5-6 so he makes a little more than Batherson who has a similar role and similar pace.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Jeez, who could have saw that coming

All the talk of bonus and structure being the holdup was wishful thinking and jumping off a single tweet or comment from someone else

It’s Dreger, so who knows how accurate it is to be fair, and he’s just speculating the same way others have speculated it’s about bonus.

Dreger says he’s not interested in Chabot’s deal, that’s what he’s referring to with “that”

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Makes sense, Brady will likely benefit from the team getting better over that time and he can ask for more money later and/or get moved. Though obviously with a low term he should not be expecting a large salary. I dont think the team should be under any pressure to give him big money. Something around 5.5-6 so he makes a little more than Batherson who has a similar role and similar pace.

Can he though?

Assuming 8x9 was what he would have went for on a long term contract, that's 72 million.

Let's say be he goes for a 3x6 or 3x7 bridge deal, he would need to receive 51-54 million over the next 5 year contract...or 10-11 million a year.

Do people really think Brady will be a top 10-15 player in the whole league at every position??? I don't. I don't see that elite offense to get there.

Reactions: bert and Sensators

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Just as @BondraTime has been predicting would happen, which is sad. I am starting to think that we have been played by the Tkachuk camp to think that they were ever going to accept a long-term deal. It is starting to look more and more like a short-term deal was always their goal, but wanted to save it until the end to make it look like mutual resolution to get Brady back on the team a.s.a.p.

Everyone has been predicting this

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Why are some of you surprised...

Of course he wants a bridge.

I was always very skeptical about him legit wanting a long term deal, a long term deal wouldn't be maximizing his earnings and that family is all about the almighty dollar.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

I was always very skeptical about him legit wanting a long term deal, a long term deal wouldn't be maximizing his earnings and that family is all about the almighty dollar.

I don't see why he would want to bridge over sign an 8x8 or 8x9... He's essentially banking on being worth 12 million in 3 years as 11-12 would just break even assuming he signs for 6-7 million on a 3 year.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don't see why he would want to bridge over sign an 8x8 or 8x9... He's essentially banking on being worth 12 million in 3 years as 11-12 would just break even.

Escrow and flat cap.

He'll be able to get more money by signing a bride deal now and then getting long term deal once the League finances have recovered from the pandemic.

None of this is new information.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I'll take a bridge deal over the completely idiotic 8x8 and up ideas some people are throwing out. Let him play out a couple of full seasons and see what he does while the team continues improving and then we can gladly pay him market rate for his services.

Reactions: pzeeman

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island

We're the opposite of surprised. Hence why I was clamoring for Chabot to be the captain...

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Escrow and flat cap.

He'll be able to get more money by signing a bride deal now and then getting long term deal once the League finances have recovered from the pandemic.

None of this is new information.

Actually, recent talk is the cap will go up and that this whole "5 years of cap freeze" was a huge exaggeration so actually, what you claim is older news. Not as relevant as you assumed.

NHL salary cap reportedly projected to rise in 2022-23

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I don't see why he would want to bridge over sign an 8x8 or 8x9... He's essentially banking on being worth 12 million in 3 years as 11-12 would just break even assuming he signs for 6-7 million on a 3 year.

It depends where he signs his next deal. For example, take these three scenarios:

Signs 8x8 in Ottawa: ~$29.8M take-home pay
Plays in Ottawa for next 4 seasons at $7M/season, then signs in Vegas for 4 years at $7M/season: ~29.6M take-home pay
Plays in Ottawa for next 4 seasons at $7M/season, then signs in Vegas for 4 years at $8.5M/season: ~33.2M take-home pay

Tkachuk won't have to sign for a much higher AAV, he'll just need to go to a low tax city. Even if he never becomes more than a $7M player, he can still make as much as he would here. There's little risk for him.

Tax advantages are real, and in Ottawa, we're at a severe disadvantage (especially with no bonuses).

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
f***ing Tkachuks man. LOL. Selfish move.

Even with a shitty owner, you take the long-term deal and then ask out later once it doesn't work out.

Complete joke.

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Also, the team has to be careful of the last year’s QO amount.

mid it ends up being structured to get 9 in the last year, then his next year obviously starts at 9 no matter what he shows us over the course of his bridge.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020

the majority of people thought it would end up like this tho, I dont see many surprised besides a handful. If he was gonna sign long term it would probably have been done by now.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Really painfully obvious Brady has the intention of being The Guy in a major US city. Ottawa just cannot compare. Being rich and famous in Ottawa vs being rich and famous in somewhere like Chicago/STL/South Florida...Ottawa can't compete, we're a small town. Honestly, I'd probably rather move on since Ottawa can't offer the same lifestyle to someone who was brought up with a megarich celebrity/American father. Take the money and use it on some of the more humbler players that we are going to have to pay next year.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Actually, recent talk is the cap will go up and that this whole "5 years of cap freeze" was a huge exaggeration so actually, what you claim is older news. Not as relevant as you assumed.

I didn't talk about a five year freeze, I said the cap is expected to be pretty flat for a bit.

Oct 10, 2010
Brady has been a loser all his career so far with Ottawa and what do they do this off season ? Bring in MDZ, Holden, Ennis and Sanford! That wouldn’t give me confidence to wanna be here long-term either.

Hopefully we can move him for JE as Brady already has one foot out the door IMO.

Reactions: IranCondraAffair

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Really painfully obvious Brady has the intention of being The Guy in a major US city. Ottawa just cannot compare. Being rich and famous in Ottawa vs being rich and famous in somewhere like Chicago/STL/South Florida...Ottawa can't compete, we're a small town.

It isn't personal, its just business. He'll make more overall if he gets a bridge now and a huge contract later, it isn't necessarily about not wanting to be in Ottawa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad