Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Stone left because he chose to leave … beyond that there is no evidence of his rational beyond some public lip service.

It’s not hard to see how he made a good choice given his age and the time a full tear down/rebuild would take… not to mention the difference between being a multimillionaire in Vegas vs Westboro.

Vegas is a thrilling city to play hockey in.

Stone left because the sens wouldnt give him 76 million over 8 years. All signs point to him loving Ottawa and wanting to play here long term. Whether him going to Vegas or not was right decision in hindsight doesnt matter at all. To the vast majority of players what matters is an organization thats willing to pay their top players what they deserve. Who gives a shit if Vegas is thrilling or not, by your arguements logic we should just not extend any of our good players because New York and Vegas are more fun cities to play in.

God you're insufferable today. Go take a walk or something.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Stone did say publicly after the move that the he really didn’t want to go though a (another) rebuild, and I can totally respect that.

I’m not sure how much weight to put on simmer, given that every tweet he releases gets mocked in here, except this one.

But on the other hand it makes a lot of sense for these guys to want to know that the team owner will ride his way to the top with his wallet open, regardless of whether simmer is making up the sentiment, or passing it on; it’s entirely believable, and to be honest should be expected given the reputation earned by EM.

The question I have is how does the team show this at the moment beyond a verbal commitment. They signed Chabot long term, singed White long term, and next up they have Brady and Batherson, both of whom could be offered long term deals. At this point in the rebuild all PD can really do is continue to sign the core to long term, while Mann continues to add exciting pieces to said core.

Showing dedication to the rebuild could also be a euphemism for show me that 8x8, which many in here have already balked at. I suspect the team has made a quality long term offer, so perhaps not just that.

It will be interesting to see how the team shows this, but in the end this might be the public reasoning behind Brady opting for a bridge, so he can monitor the commitment from the top end, while also being in a prime situation to financially capitalize.

Love the crew, want to win, this is a business. The young hockey player trifecta!

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If Ottawa can't start matching other teams with spending (or at least make it much closer), then they'll just be a NHL talent developer. Nothing wrong with that, just have to adapt expectations. That's what I have been doing in recent years until further notice. Of course, I want to see my favorite team have success but if they can't compete financially, it will only be short term success at best. A Cup win would almost require a miracle. Only legit contenders end up winning. What was the last cinderella team to win?

So for now I enjoy following the young guys we drafted/acquired and watch them evolve into NHL players; but regarding team success, I need to see that there is a significant financial plan in place to believe it's going to be possible.

People can trash me all they want for having this opinion, I'll gladly change it when we won't be at the bottom in terms of spending. Keep in mind, we probably also spend a lot less than many teams in terms of outside the roster staff...

A window of vastly out-performing your salary expenditure can only work very short term. Performing players will require to be paid to market value; or you have to trade them and the cycle starts all over again.

Oh, boy! Can't wait to hear from the usual suspects why this is the fanbase's fault!

Stop with your endless whining!

If Brady gets moved due to money concerns, I will seriously have my doubts about cheering for this team until Melnyk sells. Because if they can’t re-sign him long term, then what’s point?

Develop NHL players. That or Melnyk sells the team to someone who will be ready to have a negative operating income for years until the team starts winning and develop a bigger fanbase who will spend more dollars on the team. Oh and make it work for an arena downtown, which IMO is unequivocally needed for the long-term future of the franchise.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoardsofCanada

MrInvidious

Sep 25, 2020
Toronto, ON / Ottawa, ON
By all accounts they want to sign Tkachuk long term. He doesn’t have to sign long term himself.

I don’t think it matters either way. At the end of the day he’s going to be here a long time.

If they want to sign Tkachuk long-term, it will happen. If he doesn't sign long-term, it's because the team failed to get it done. It's as simple as that. No one can convince me that Brady would not sign a long-term deal right now if the dollars are fair and if the ownership is showing a commitment to winning.

We all know who is to blame if the deal doesn't happen long-term. At least we all should.

Bridge deal could be good though, keeps ownership in check and ensures the team will spend near the cap when it comes time for a new contract. If ownership proves their commitment, maybe Tkachuk will sign for less to win long term here.

The Ottawa Senators are the last team that should be expecting players to take pay cuts to stay, IMO. You prove commitment to Brady right now by giving him a long-term deal that fairly reflects how valuable he is to this team. For once, I wish this organization would stop playing games and just pay our best players. It finally happened with Chabot - let's keep it going with Brady and not back ourselves into a corner having to re-up an in-prime Brady 3-4 years from now when our window is wide open.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
But what if Brady really is demanding something unreasonable? Just a hypothetical, but what if Brady is holding Dorion and Melnyk's feet to the flames, knowing fans are screaming for stability, and is demanding 9+ Million? Is it still "Melnyk so friggin cheap" if management pulls back from a long term deal and settles for a bridge? Again this is just hypothetical. I am just wondering if it is pay Brady whatever it takes to get him signed long term or stick to what is fair.

What is fair? I think Landeskog's deal is a pretty good comp.

MrInvidious

Sep 25, 2020
Toronto, ON / Ottawa, ON
But what if Brady really is demanding something unreasonable. Just a hypothetical, but what if Brady is holding Dorion and Melnyk's feet to the flames, knowing fans are screaming for stability, and is demanding 9+ Million. Is it still "Melnyk so friggin cheap" if he pulls back from a long term deal and settles for a bridge. Again this is just hypothetical. I am just wondering if it is pay Brady whatever it takes to get him signed long term or stick to what is fair.

What is fair? I think Landeskog's deal is a pretty good comp.

If Brady was asking for $9m+, Bruce Garrioch would have strategically leaked this by now.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
If they want to sign Tkachuk long-term, it will happen. If he doesn't sign long-term, it's because the team failed to get it done. It's as simple as that. No one can convince me that Brady would not sign a long-term deal right now if the dollars are fair and if the ownership is showing a commitment to winning.

We all know who is to blame if the deal doesn't happen long-term. At least we all should.

The Ottawa Senators are the last team that should be expecting players to take pay cuts to stay, IMO. You prove commitment to Brady right now by giving him a long-term deal that fairly reflects how valuable he is to this team. For once, I wish this organization would stop playing games and just pay our best players. It finally happened with Chabot - let's keep it going with Brady and not back ourselves into a corner having to re-up an in-prime Brady 3-4 years from now when our window is wide open.

It’s not that simple, not even close. This completely ignores every other factor that goes into his decision. You think the leafs or flames wouldn’t have wanted to sign tkachuk and Matthews to max term? Why do you assume tkachuk would sign 8 years right now when his brother didn’t? I think it could go either way and I wouldn’t fault him for taking either route. If for example the team offers him 8 years $8 million how would that be on them if he still wanted a bridge for now? And no idea what they would be offering, that’s just a hypothetical

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Stone did say publicly after the move that the he really didn’t want to go though a (another) rebuild, and I can totally respect that.

I’m not sure how much weight to put on simmer, given that ever tweet he releases gets mocked in here, except this one.

But on the other hand it makes a lot of sense for these guys to want to know that the team owner will ride this way with his wallet open, regardless of whether summer is making up the sentiment, or passing it on; it’s entirely believable, and to be honest expected given the reputation earned by EM.

The question I have is how does the team show this at the moment beyond a verbal commitment. They signed Chabot long term, singed White long term, and next up they have Brady and Batherson, both of whom could be offered long term deals. At this point in the rebuild all PD can really do is continue to sign the core to long term, while Mann continues to add exciting pieces to said core.

Showing dedication to the rebuild could also be a euphemism for show me that 8x8, which many in here have already balked at.

It will be interesting to see how the team shows this, but in the end this might be the public reasoning behind Brady opting for a bridge, so he can monitor the commitment from the top end, while also being in a prime situation to financially capitalize.

Love the crew, want to win, this is a business. The young hockey player trifecta!

Yeah this is fair. A big thing this team will struggle with regardless of players is the stigma around Melnyk being cheap (or perceived as cheap) as well as overly involved with hockey ops. If we see it and think it then I cant imagine what those more deeply involved in the NHL feel regarding Melnyk.

Players are going to continue to demand the organization show it is commited to winning long term and can pony up the kind of money it takes to win a cup. Tampa, STL, Washington how many of these teams spent close to or at the cap for over half a decade before they won their cup. People in the hockey world certainly know this and Melnyk is going to have to show he's willing to do this the hard way since their is already an opinion about his cheapness. Players are less likely to sign with cheap teams and the Sens have positioned themselves as one of the cheapest.

Brady is just following along that same path.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

MrInvidious

Sep 25, 2020
Toronto, ON / Ottawa, ON
It’s not that simple, not even close. This completely ignores every other factor that goes into his decision. You think the leafs or flames wouldn’t have wanted to sign tkachuk and Matthews to max term? Why do you assume tkachuk would sign 8 years right now when his brother didn’t? I think it could go either way and I wouldn’t fault him for taking either route. If for example the team offers him 8 years $8 million how would that be on them if he still wanted a bridge for now? And no idea what they would be offering, that’s just a hypothetical

If you believe Brady turns down an 8-year deal at $7.5m - 8.0m per, I think you'd be surprised.

This team has let go of so many top players by being the cheapest team in the league. Not every deal needs to be this incredible value win-fall. Pay the guy. He's not going to scoff at a fair long-term deal. This team has all the cap space in the world that other teams do not usually have when trying to re-up their star/core players. Get it done. I'm tired of the excuses.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
If you believe Brady turns down an 8-year deal at $7.5m - 8.0m per, I think you'd be surprised.

This team has let go of so many top players by being the cheapest team in the league. Not every deal needs to be this incredible value win-fall. Pay the guy. He's not going to scoff at a fair long-term deal. This team has all the cap space in the world that other teams do not usually have when trying to re-up their star/core players. Get it done. I'm tired of the excuses.

I think they should offer $8x8 max. How do you know he would take that? None of us here know anything. People actually said the complete opposite about Chabot, that he would never accept a long term deal, and it happened. I just think your stance is unfair given we don't know any details at all.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

I don't think Matthew loves Calgary or his teammates, and I think it may be mutual with many in there. Brady is in rich young dude heaven, with his best friend, and the rest of the young group...

Reactions: Yak and Ice-Tray

MrInvidious

Sep 25, 2020
Toronto, ON / Ottawa, ON
I think they should offer $8x8 max. How do you know he would take that? None of us here know anything. People actually said the complete opposite about Chabot, that he would never accept a long term deal, and it happened. I just think your stance is unfair given we don't know any details at all.

If Brady turns down an $8x8 contract, then we have much bigger issues. Might as well pack up the team if that's the case. I do not see a reality where he does not take that contract and run with it.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
If Brady turns down an $8x8 contract, then we have much bigger issues. Might as well pack up the team if that's the case. I do not see a reality where he does not take that contract and run with it.

You're thinking that Brady thinks like Wu-Tang and cash rules everything around him. It doesn't. Money is a big part for sure, but its not the end all be all. He's a competitor. What in the Sens past recent has given him indication that this team will compete for a cup any time soon? Thats why a bridge makes sense to make them prove that they'll follow through. Talk is cheap as hell and the Sens employ people who loooooove to talk.

Thinking this is just about money is short sighted as hell.

Reactions: StoicSensFan

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
One reason would be that he could see himself substantially increasing his production in the next three years with the influx of talent around him.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I don't think it's that simple

I've been saying for a long time that I expect him to sign a bridge deal. Covid destroyed the league's finances. He should take what hecan get, wait til the revwnues return and the cap truly reflects the new US deal, then look to sign long term.

MrInvidious

Sep 25, 2020
Toronto, ON / Ottawa, ON
You're thinking that Brady thinks like Wu-Tang and cash rules everything around him. It doesn't. Money is a big part for sure, but its not the end all be all. He's a competitor. What in the Sens past recent has given him indication that this team will compete for a cup any time soon? Thats why a bridge makes sense to make them prove that they'll follow through. Talk is cheap as hell and the Sens employ people who loooooove to talk.

Thinking this is just about money is short sighted as hell.

You're absolutely correct. If this was the Ottawa Senators of three years ago, I think that's a very valid point to be made. But there is nothing to suggest that Brady is unhappy with the state of the team right now and all signs point to him being very involved and pleased with the team around him (with the expectation of growth from young players and turning this team into a contender in the next few years).

I have a hard time believing that Brady would see non-financial reasons to not want to stick it out long-term. This is all speculation, obviously, but we know what kind of owner we're dealing with here. The team does not really get the luxury of getting the benefit of the doubt these days when it comes to contract negotiations.

I do not believe there's much that needs to be done externally to turn this team into a competitor in the next few years. It's going to come down to developing the pieces that we do have and then retaining those pieces. Signing Brady long-term right now proves to everyone else that the latter can be done here. A bridge deal just adds more fuel to the fire that Ottawa can't keep their talent long-term and will only lead to an even more difficult negotiation 3-4 years from now with the same tight-ass ownership.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Sign both guys long term if possible, 8 for Brady, 6 for Bath.

This team is on a positive path to being a serious playoff competitor as it’s stands right now organizationally with players and prospects.

All anyone really needs is a sense that the owner is committed to pay for the rise and the window. He can save up the cash during the down cycles of rebuilding, but he has to show that he will spend to keep this party going.

That’s what the Sens are really missing above all else in my opinion, financial confidence.

If fans knew that PD, PM, DJ, Mann brothers had freedom to get it done, I think people could start to heal the PTSD and become normal excited fans again.

This really is EM’s chance at some form of redemption here; keep the cash flowing and let the boys build a cup winner.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
8 x 8 is such an absurd number for him. No way he would turn that down as he is waaayy overpaid, and then , when Stutzle and Norris outscore him, and take unnecessary shots and hit everything, then what?

Reactions: MrInvidious

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

The plan has been updated. It's 300 pages now, as FYOUS is extended.

51sqrrUpiwL.jpg

Reactions: cudi

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't put much faith into anything a sports player says, they are all coached to say the right thing especially when they get traded so they don't have an entire city & fan base shitting on them on social media. A lot of the young prospects get media training way before they get to the NHL, they already know what to say & not say & never offer more information than absolutely necessary, the bare minimum, in fact.

Present Team - We loved the city, loved our teammates, we had a great time here, but now it's time to move on although we would have loved to stay here for our entire career.

New Team - We have always loved this city, it's always been one of my favourite teams growing up & we look forward to meeting our new teammates & winning a cup here soon.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Sign both guys long term if possible, 8 for Brady, 6 for Bath.

This team is on a positive path to being a serious playoff competitor as it’s stands right now organizationally with players and prospects.

All anyone really needs is a sense that the owner is committed to pay for the rise and the window. He can save up the cash during the down cycles of rebuilding, but he has to show that he will spend to keep this party going.

That’s what the Sens are really missing above all else in my opinion, financial confidence.

If fans knew that PD, PM, DJ, Mann brothers had freedom to get it done, I think people could start to heal the PTSD and become normal excited fans again.

This really is EM’s chance at some form of redemption here; keep the cash flowing and let the boys build a cup winner.

I agree … but even if EM does as you suggest I thinks it’s a coin toss wether Ottawa responds and buys any tickets …

It’s way more likely that Geener extends Brady and Bath than Ottawa returns to a 16000 fan/game average.

I think Brady’s UFA years cost $10.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad