Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
By taking the compensation your getting 9 mil in salary flexibility and those picks, so recent guys we've selected under this scouting group in that range include Pinto, Greig, and JBD. Plus you can add a big name UFA or two with the savings

That's a good point. Montreal can definitely make use of that cap space.

Edit: d'oh...my brain is fried. BT is turning into KK here.

If we were a cap team, that cap space would be a big asset. If we don't use it, it's not that much of a benefit for us, unfortunately.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It's a good question & now that Stone is getting closer to the end of his career while Tkachuk is still developing my guess is that Brady could end up the better player if the players around him also develop & improve. The very fact that he went after Weber at such an early age must have given his teammates a jolt of courage & enthusiasm that this guy isn't afraid to take anybody on & will fight for the team, it's contagious.

The only real concern is how long he will stay here & stay healthy, but even if he goes to another team chances are he will excel there too just by the way he plays. I think Brady impacts the game in more ways, but I'd be surprised if he becomes as good a goal scorer or point producer as Stone although he certainly could.

Personally I think the Weber incident is a bit of a turning point for Tkachuk. He didn't just go after him, he put him on his ass. And I suspect every physical D men in the NHL saw that. And they'll know that cross checks to the back could be hazardous to their immediate personal health.

I think the legend of Mark Stone grows nearly every day in here, but when it's all said and done, Tkachuk will be viewed as having the better career

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
Anybody else afraid that a team signs Brady to an offer sheet with a big signing bonus that Melnyk can’t pay this summer, or is KK’s offersheet that Carolina made out of spite scaring off GMs from doing them?

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Anybody else afraid that a team signs Brady to an offer sheet with a big signing bonus that Melnyk can’t pay this summer, or is KK’s offersheet that Carolina made out of spite scaring off GMs from doing them?
Not worried, I think Brady already sign but team wait Tkachuk to be here before announcement. If not the case, I don’t think Brady sign the offer sheet. What worries me is now all the young player gonna think worth 6 M

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It's a good question & now that Stone is getting closer to the end of his career while Tkachuk is still developing my guess is that Brady could end up the better player if the players around him also develop & improve. The very fact that he went after Weber at such an early age must have given his teammates a jolt of courage & enthusiasm that this guy isn't afraid to take anybody on & will fight for the team, it's contagious.

The only real concern is how long he will stay here & stay healthy, but even if he goes to another team chances are he will excel there too just by the way he plays. I think Brady impacts the game in more ways, but I'd be surprised if he becomes as good a goal scorer or point producer as Stone although he certainly could.

I was even more impressed by him hounding and cross checking Lucic who didn’t respond. THAT took guts.

You could see on his face that Brady was in zone and looking to throwdown.

Was a classic moment

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Only teams with 9 mil in cap space I would have to consider matching if they offered Brady a 7 year 9 mil AVV contract are the NYI, NJ, and NSH. I'd take the picks from everyone else and buckle up for our new core that includes Wright, Lambert, Bedard, Michkov, Chabot, Sanderson, and Stützle. Complimentary pieces like Norris, Batherson, Pinto, Greig, Zub, and four more 1sts would also be there!

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Only teams with 9 mil in cap space I would have to consider matching if they offered Brady a 7 year 9 mil AVV contract are the NYI, NJ, and NSH. I'd take the picks from everyone else and buckle up for our new core that includes Wright, Lambert, Bedard, Michkov, Chabot, Sanderson, and Stützle. Complimentary pieces like Norris, Batherson, Pinto, Greig, Zub, and four more 1sts would also be there!

No team will offer him 9M aav.

Brady is probably looking at a contract that uses up all of his RFA years so he can get out asap. He knows if he signs an offersheet anywhere it will get matched and he will get stuck in Ottawa longer than he has to be.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
That's a good point. Montreal can definitely make use of that cap space.

Edit: d'oh...my brain is fried. BT is turning into KK here.

If we were a cap team, that cap space would be a big asset. If we don't use it, it's not that much of a benefit for us, unfortunately.

It would be for Melnyk; lower salary costs improve the profit.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I don't think Brady is the type to do that. He knows he's going to get his money. He's cocky enough to have a lot of confidence in his game and not necessarily go for a silly KK-type contract right now. Not to mention, I have a feeling that kind of thing creates some waves in the room. It's difficult enough being the new guy on a team, but to come in with that kind of contract/controversy (as much as there is for offer sheets) over your head....a leader wouldn't do that.

If it comes to pass that Brady wants out, I'm sure he'll handle it the right way...not by signing an offer sheet.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
No team will offer him 9M aav.

Brady is probably looking at a contract that uses up all of his RFA years so he can get out asap. He knows if he signs an offersheet anywhere it will get matched and he will get stuck in Ottawa longer than he has to be.

I should have quoted the post that originally presented the scenario. I was discussing this post:

Imagine someone offer sheets Brady 9M x 7y

Reactions: Sicko

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don't think Brady is the type to do that. He knows he's going to get his money. He's cocky enough to have a lot of confidence in his game and not necessarily go for a silly KK-type contract right now. Not to mention, I have a feeling that kind of thing creates some waves in the room. It's difficult enough being the new guy on a team, but to come in with that kind of contract/controversy (as much as there is for offer sheets) over your head....a leader wouldn't do that.

If it comes to pass that Brady wants out, I'm sure he'll handle it the right way...not by signing an offer sheet.

I think he would definitely sign a lucrative offer sheet as it would be better than what Ottawa would be offering. The team making the offer would likely be one that intends to put a quality team on the ice at the salary cap, not a budget team like Ottawa. I doubt Melnyk would match it and instead would take the pics.

Reactions: bert

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I think he would definitely sign a lucrative offer sheet as it would be better than what Ottawa would be offering. The team making the offer would likely be one that intends to put a quality team on the ice at the salary cap, not a budget team like Ottawa. I doubt Melnyk would match it and instead would take the pics.

If any team offersheets brady under max compensation and the sens don't match it, no one should be supporting this team.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I get what your saying.

But why is Brady Tkachuk such a unique player then, while there are a couple dozen of offensive stars that offer generally the same skills that Tim does?

Theres no shortage of super slick skills in the hockey world. Its littered throughout every single pro hockey league on the planet.

So again imo, theres very, very few players in the world that can bang, skate and score at same level that Brady Tkachuk can.

So what is harder to find - a super elite skilled player that normally there are handful available every draft year. Or an elite PWF like Brady or Matthew Tkachuk?

It's not exactly a simple answer imo.

It's rare because it hurts and players who play like that breakdown quicker.

And I fully agree that Brady is one of the rarest players in the NHL, but that doesn't automatically make him a better player/asset than other less rare players.

In a race you want the best performing car, not the rarest.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Carolina did it as payback , for Montreal offer sheeting Aho.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

Not really. In a high-escrow environment it's no longer beneficial for a player to get a front-loaded, bonus heavy contract - a huge chunk of it would just be going back to the owners anyway.

I don't see any real threat here. The Senators are probably comfortable going up to 8.5M or thereabouts on a long-term deal that they negotiate themselves, so no chance they let him bounce for an extra 500k or whatever.

The most interesting scenario might be if a team offered Tkachuk a 4-year offer sheet which walks him straight to UFA at the earliest possible opportunity, which is definitely not what the team wants. Even then the Sens are likely to match.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Brady Tkachuk at Mark Stone's wedding:
view

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad