Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) I'm a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Get existed. Is this like child birth or something?

Whatever tickles you. Some people have a man crash on this grinder. Which is weird. So he hits people, big deal and agitates them. But his skating, how I put it, is awkward. So the rest of his hockey skills. Meh.....

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
what kind of numbers would a monster breakout year entail?

I'm thinking 45ish points in a 56 game season with an even split between goals and assists

But beyond the numbers it's the play driving and possession that will break out in my opinion.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
screw the points in a shortened season. Just wanna see him deliver some entertaining hits to McDavid, Matthews, Pettersson, etc... If we ain't winning games, might as well scare their star players

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
screw the points in a shortened season. Just wanna see him deliver some entertaining hits to McDavid, Matthews, Pettersson, etc... If we ain't winning games, might as well scare their star players
Hopefully Brady and Watson sandwich those guys

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
He had something like the 3rd or so worst shot% in the league last year so I expect that to positively regress towards the mean and for him to score a fair bit more this year.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I am not sure why people get excited about 20 goals scorers.....LOL . He is a grinder with 20 goals, that's it..... Max for him 5 million a year.

What happens when he scores 30? Will you disappear?

Reactions: bert

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Man I can’t find it anywhere to post but I remember reading an article last year about Brady and how he has exceeded every expectation since being drafted from an analytic perspective.

He’s producing a NHLe of over 7 as an over-ager year one. He then went on to become a line driver with top five shots, high danger scoring opportunities and hits in the entire league - without Stone.

Radek Faksa was the last over age prospect to be a statistical anomaly but Brady is blowing by those goalposts.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Man I can’t find it anywhere to post but I remember reading an article last year about Brady and how he has exceeded every expectation since being drafted from an analytic perspective.

He’s producing a NHLe of over 7 as an over-ager year one. He then went on to become a line driver with top five shots, high danger scoring opportunities and hits in the entire league - without Stone.

Radek Faksa was the last over age prospect to be a statistical anomaly but Brady is blowing by those goalposts.
What do you mean overage? Brady was not an overager...

ijif

Dec 20, 2018

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by over-ager, but yeah, he is an anomaly. Basically, here is how it goes:

Brady was really old for his draft

Brady did not produce much in his draft year (mid 20 NHLe)

Mid 20 NHLe players make the NHL about 50% of the time, and they are very rarely star players.
About 10 players in the last 30 years have produced an NHLe like Tkachuk and played in the NHL in D+1...some of these players were playing pro hockey, like Nichushkin.

Just based on the above, we should have expected Brady to struggle a bit in the NHL, but he drops 40+ points. Oh, then he does it again without Mark Stone.

Players that produce like Brady did so early on become stars at a very high rate (17/23 or 74%)

Tkachuk is the only person to hit his NHL numbers so earlier without breaking a 30 NHLe before he hit the NHL. Additionally, factor in that Tkachuk was an older player, and no player really looks like him based on statistical models.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by over-ager, but yeah, he is an anomaly. Basically, here is how it goes:

Brady was really old for his draft

Brady did not produce much in his draft year (mid 20 NHLe)

Mid 20 NHLe players make the NHL about 50% of the time, and they are very rarely star players.
About 10 players in the last 30 years have produced an NHLe like Tkachuk and played in the NHL in D+1...some of these players were playing pro hockey, like Nichushkin.

Just based on the above, we should have expected Brady to struggle a bit in the NHL, but he drops 40+ points. Oh, then he does it again without Mark Stone.

Players that produce like Brady did so early on become stars at a very high rate (17/23 or 74%)

Tkachuk is the only person to hit his NHL numbers so earlier without breaking a 30 NHLe before he hit the NHL. Additionally, factor in that Tkachuk was an older player, and no player really looks like him based on statistical models.

Short summary : he's an unicorn

I'm almost surprised (based on his draft year stats) that he was not seen lower than a 5th OA pick on average

We looked at 14 sources to come up with EOTP’s Consensus NHL Draft Rankings

Cam Robinson had him 9th for example :

Cam Robinson's 2018 Draft Rankings (Top 130) - Final Edition

NHL Draft Software had Brady 10th

NHL Draft Software: Final Rankings | Top200

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I'm thinking 45ish points in a 56 game season with an even split between goals and assists

But beyond the numbers it's the play driving and possession that will break out in my opinion.
If that’s what’s gonna happen we should sign him now rather than next offseason

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If that’s what’s gonna happen we should sign him now rather than next offseason

I've been saying for a while that it's not in Brady's interest to sign and I'll be surprised if he does.

I think he'll bet on himself to have a bid 3rd year and I've been saying that since before the pandemic. With the pandemic and the strain on salaries, there's even more reason for him to hold off

Reactions: Dan Patrick

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Something I observed with Brady is he was carrying the puck between the blue lines and gaining more controlled entires in the latter half of last season. That's a trend i expect to continue

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Something I observed with Brady is he was carrying the puck between the blue lines and gaining more controlled entires in the latter half of last season. That's a trend i expect to continue

Good. I found his neutral zone transition game needs/needed improvement.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Good. I found his neutral zone transition game needs/needed improvement.

I also hope he has improved his shot accuracy, I remember posting this as a joke in one of the GDT last season, but it rang true at the time to be honest:

"Coach Smith instructing Brady where to shoot from, from now on":

20210103_135415.png

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Not sure what he means by "we're not going to take anything from anybody"?
I don't know the context but it could be referring to the fact that they will play tough this year and won't let teams out compete them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad