Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) I'm a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Brady's become a fan favourite and rightfully so. But most teams would take the superior hockey player in Quinn Hughes.

Still it's a testament to Brady's unique style that it isn't by a runaway margin considering the skill gap between the two.

With that said every team would kill for a Brady Tkachuk.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Dorion has been right a lot. The “Anti Dorion Hive Mind” on this forum is about 10x more incorrect than they claim PD to be.

For a guy who is handcuffed financially in Ottberia he has made some great decisions, while taking criticism for most of them.

I have come to the conclusion that any move Dorion makes that appears to be terrible/wrong/bad soon after it is completed is probably going to be a good move long-term.

On the flip side, any move that he makes that appears "right" in the moment, is probably a bad move.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Ya I’ve come to appreciate Dorion quite a bit. He’s made some massive blunders but has also set us up extremely well for the future, which can’t be easy considering who he’s working under.

Tkachuk is just incredible and I can’t wait to watch him progress and lead this team. The fact that he was just as good this year without playing with Stone is very reassuring.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Brady's become a fan favourite and rightfully so. But most teams would take the superior hockey player in Quinn Hughes.

Still it's a testament to Brady's unique style that it isn't by a runaway margin considering the skill gap between the two.

I wouldn't for this group.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I wouldn't for this group.

I'm almost inclined to agree and that's with the very lucid understanding that Hughes is the better player now and has much higher upside. But I also think we're a bit biased because we're sens fans.

Its impossible not to love how Brady Tkachuk plays hockey. He sets the tone for the team each shift.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Dorion has been right a lot. The “Anti Dorion Hive Mind” on this forum is about 10x more incorrect than they claim PD to be.

For a guy who is handcuffed financially in Ottberia he has made some great decisions, while taking criticism for most of them.

Imagine talking this way about a GM that has traded:

- Zibanejad, 2nd (Berggren) for Brassard (now left with JBD, Tychonick, Gustavsson)

- Turris, Bowers, 1st (Byram) for Duchene (now left with Abramov, Davidsson, Thomson)

- Stone for Brannstrom, Lindberg, 2nd

- Hoffman for Boedker

- Dahlen for Burrows

Karlsson, Dzingel and Pageau trades are all looking good right now though, and those trades were made quite recently, so it makes sense that Dorion hasn't gotten criticized nearly as much lately as before, but that doesn't make him a good GM. Still far more egregious mistakes than wins and has made this team worse as GM.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I'm almost inclined to agree and that's with the very lucid understanding that Hughes is the better player now and has much higher upside. But I also think we're a bit biased because we're sens fans.

Its impossible not to love how Brady Tkachuk plays hockey. He sets the tone for the team each shift.
For drafts this is my opinion - if you picked a really good player who fits extremely well on your team, and he produces well, then even if there's better guys taken after him, I don't bother to look at them and track their career to see their point differential and whatnot. I am happy with the guy we took. It's only a big deal if the guy you took was garbage. We're not talking about a Norris winner vs a scrub here.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

- Zibanejad, 2nd (Berggren) for Brassard (now left with JBD, Tychonick, Gustavsson)

- Turris, Bowers, 1st (Byram) for Duchene (now left with Abramov, Davidsson, Thomson)

- Hoffman for Boedker

- Dahlen for Burrows

Karlsson, Dzingel and Pageau trades are all looking good right now though, and those trades were made quite recently, so it makes sense that Dorion hasn't gotten criticized nearly as much lately as before, but that doesn't make him a good GM. Still far more egregious mistakes than wins and has made this team worse as GM.

Classic Hale the Villain.

Reactions: JD1

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Ya I’ve come to appreciate Dorion quite a bit. He’s made some massive blunders but has also set us up extremely well for the future, which can’t be easy considering who he’s working under.

Tkachuk is just incredible and I can’t wait to watch him progress and lead this team. The fact that he was just as good this year without playing with Stone is very reassuring.

I was most impressed with his progression over the year. He was carrying the puck blue line to blue line over the last 20 games far more than he did in his first 120 games

Reactions: Smeddy

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
For drafts this is my opinion - if you picked a really good player who fits extremely well on your team, and he produces well, then even if there's better guys taken after him, I don't bother to look at them and track their career to see their point differential and whatnot. I am happy with the guy we took. It's only a big deal if the guy you took was garbage. We're not talking about a Norris winner vs a scrub here.

Maybe but meh.

with that logic you could also say that picking Colin White over Konecny was the right choice.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Maybe but meh.

with that logic you could also say that picking Colin White over Konecny was the right choice.

No because White hasn't proven to be good yet. If he improves and becomes what we thought he would, then yes.

It's more like Dallas picking Heiskanen and Colorado picking Makar. Makar is probably better especially offensively, but I don't think Dallas cares because they ended up with a good core player. This isn't fantasy hockey.

Tkachuk is going to be a star and is exactly what we need. I don't care if Hughes is flashier and puts up more points.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Shouldn't need to explain why it's was a bad trade at the time and still is even with Dahlen appearing to be a bust.
If the trade ended up with a guy being a complete bust then it's not a bad trade at the end of the day and nothing you say can change my opinion. It's just complaining for the sake of complaining. A bad trade at the time can become not a bad trade, which is the case here.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

- Hoffman for Boedker

- Dahlen for Burrows

Our fan base didn’t scream 1/10th as much for the Zibby trade vs the EK trade. Most liked the MD acquisition too. Zibby was one of the first stages of EM reducing payroll commitment through these years.

The Hoffman deal was terrible but that entire situation was weird . Nothing wrong with trading Dahlen and I bet the Stone deal looks ok for us in a few years.

So compete misses ? really just Hoffman while we wait and see where the Zibby and Stone deal end up.

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
No because White hasn't proven to be good yet. If he improves and becomes what we thought he would, then yes.

It's more like Dallas picking Heiskanen and Colorado picking Makar. Makar is probably better especially offensively, but I don't think Dallas cares because they ended up with a good core player. This isn't fantasy hockey.

Tkachuk is going to be a star and is exactly what we need. I don't care if Hughes is flashier and puts up more points.

Ehh Colin White was a 21st pick scored 40 points in his rookie season and is a solid NHLer and not incredibly off Konecny. In a vacuum that's a good pick, just like Tkachuk in a vacuum is a good pick. But you have to consider the other players drafted.

It's not like Heiskanen and Makar because both of those guys are already stars and have superstar potential. and in terms of Hughes vs Tkachuk, Quinn has superstar potential vs Bradys star potential.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Our fan base didn’t scream 1/10th as much for the Zibby trade vs the EK trade. Most liked the EK acquisition too. Zibby was one of the first stages of EM reducing payroll commitment through these years.

The Hoffman deal was terrible but that entire situation was weird . Nothing wrong with trading Dahlen and I bet the Stone deal looks ok for us in a few years.

So compete misses ? really just Hoffman while we wait and see where the Zibby and Stone deal end up.

it ended up with two nhl teams getting their franchise players for complimentary players

Reactions: MiscBrah

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Ehh Colin White was a 21st pick scored 40 points in his rookie season and is a solid NHLer and not incredibly off Konecny. In a vacuum that's a good pick, just like Tkachuk in a vacuum is a good pick. But you have to consider the other players drafted.

It's not like Heiskanen and Makar because both of those guys are already stars and have superstar potential. and in terms of Hughes vs Tkachuk, Quinn has superstar potential vs Bradys star potential.
Heiskanen is clearly worse than Makar offensively. Not even close. Makar has the higher upside and Heiskanen does not have superstar potential. But does dallas care? They shouldn’t. They got a good player. It’s absolutely a similar comparison. Hughes isn’t going to be a superstar like karlsson.
You don’t have to consider the other players drafted if you got a really good player. There’s no point.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012

I'm not so sure. Tkachuk is a rawboned kid still growing into his body. Power forwards can take a long time develop. Hughes is very protected offensive d-man that posted half his points on the power play. Borowieki gad 18 even strength points in 53 games and played tough minutes. Hughes had 28 even strength points in 68 games. He also had the second worst +/- at -10 on a pretty good team.

My concern with Hughes is he will get payed large amounts of money for big point production, but won't necessarily help you win the playoffs. Tkackuk will put up points and help you win the playoffs.

I'm curious to see how Quinn Hughes fairs against Minnesota who is a big team, although less talented than Vancouver.I am willing to east some crow on this.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
He's a nice piece. Like a slightly more skilled Scott Sabourin.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well ... I really liked both players at the Draft. I went with Tkachuk then and I will go with him now. Hughes is good, very good. Tkachuk is more rare imo. Not saying Hughes is a dime a dozen but there are a few that are at least close to Hughes level. Tkachuk is a harder player to get. Adds value toward winning more that just on the scoreboard. A good player to build around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad