Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) I'm a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Imagine talking this way about a GM that has traded:

- Zibanejad, 2nd (Berggren) for Brassard (now left with JBD, Tychonick, Gustavsson)

- Turris, Bowers, 1st (Byram) for Duchene (now left with Abramov, Davidsson, Thomson)

- Stone for Brannstrom, Lindberg, 2nd

- Hoffman for Boedker

- Dahlen for Burrows

Karlsson, Dzingel and Pageau trades are all looking good right now though, and those trades were made quite recently, so it makes sense that Dorion hasn't gotten criticized nearly as much lately as before, but that doesn't make him a good GM. Still far more egregious mistakes than wins and has made this team worse as GM.

The funny part about this post Hale is that had he kept some of those players and signed them to the deals they signed, you'd be one of the biggest detractors in here saying "from Minnesota he coulda got X, Y, Z and 2nd for Turris, for Karlsson he shoulda known that ankle wasnt going to hold, from LV he coulda got A, B C, three 1sts, four 2nds, nine 3rds, and sixteen 4ths. JUST TERRIBLE ASSET MANAGEMENT"

Based on your post history, you'd of spun it regardless

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The quantity of goals scored from within 3 feet of the net is awesome. More grease in that video than in a chip stand.

I think people really undersell his upside. He lead the league in shots from the slot this season. Second year pro, playing with modestly talented players. It's not flashy but he is incredibly effective.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Heiskanen is clearly worse than Makar offensively. Not even close. Makar has the higher upside and Heiskanen does not have superstar potential. But does dallas care? They shouldn’t. They got a good player. It’s absolutely a similar comparison. Hughes isn’t going to be a superstar like karlsson.
You don’t have to consider the other players drafted if you got a really good player. There’s no point.

Heiskanen absolutely has superstar potential if not potential to be the best defenceman in the league. I'm not sure why people sleep on his offence, he put up 33 points as a rookie and can hit 40 points in his 20 year old season on a Dallas team that struggles to score. And just watching him he's absolutely dynamic, sometimes it seems he can go coast to coast at will and his breakouts are art.

He might not have the production that Makar and Hughes do playing on their offensive powerhouse teams but that doesn't he isn't a skilled offensive defenceman himself. I fully expect him to be a 50-60 point defenceman who can log 27+ mins a night. If that ain't a superstar defenceman i don't know what is.

Reactions: Sweatred

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
I think people really undersell his upside. He lead the league in shots from the slot this season. Second year pro, playing with modestly talented players. It's not flashy but he is incredibly effective.
I can’t wait to see Stutzle feeding Brady the puck in front of the net every night, or cleaning up Byfield’s garbage. Whoever we draft, we’ve got the makings of a special duo imo.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Heiskanen absolutely has superstar potential if not potential to be the best defenceman in the league. I'm not sure why people sleep on his offence, he put up 33 points as a rookie and can hit 40 points in his 20 year old season on a Dallas team that struggles to score. And just watching him he's absolutely dynamic, sometimes it seems he can go coast to coast at will and his breakouts are art.

He might not have the production that Makar and Hughes do playing on their offensive powerhouse teams but that doesn't he isn't a skilled offensive defenceman himself. I fully expect him to be a 50-60 point defenceman who can log 27+ mins a night. If that ain't a superstar defenceman i don't know what is.
50 points isn’t a superstar defenseman in my book. Especially these days.

You may think I’m underselling him but you’re underselling Tkachuks upside as well.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
50 points isn’t a superstar defenseman in my book. Especially these days.

You may think I’m underselling him but you’re underselling Tkachuks upside as well.

45-50 points is basically his realistic low end production, heck he could have put up 50 points this season as a 20 year old if he played on a more offensive team. And putting up 50 is no joke. Drew Doughty has managed it 3 times in his career. that number has you as a top 15 point producer league wide even now. Any higher and you're flirting with the top 10/top 5 . That's top tier production.

I think Tkachuk is going to be a 60 point forward who with the right linemates could hit 70. Unless you think Tkachuk is going to be a consistent PPG forward we probably evaluate him the same.

Reactions: NB613 and Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
it ended up with two nhl teams getting their franchise players for complimentary players

Sure - but the same may be said about the EK trade and this site had 10000 pages of fan objections.

The Sens current top scorer was traded for Ryan Dzingle and x2 2ND picks... it doesn’t mean a lot.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Ehh Colin White was a 21st pick scored 40 points in his rookie season and is a solid NHLer and not incredibly off Konecny. In a vacuum that's a good pick, just like Tkachuk in a vacuum is a good pick. But you have to consider the other players drafted.

It's not like Heiskanen and Makar because both of those guys are already stars and have superstar potential. and in terms of Hughes vs Tkachuk, Quinn has superstar potential vs Bradys star potential.

Colin White is not a soldi NHl’r. He Just finished a season as a sub replacement level player who probably was the org’s 5-6th best RW. He needs to be a lot better then that to be considered “solid”. Let’s hope he is.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Brady was pretty much the top consensus player on the board when we picked. Between him and Zadina (and Z was starting to slide at that time as being a bit riskier). I'm definitely glad we went with Brady.

It's didn't take a "genius" to pick him fourth overall.

Hughes is a good player and all, but I wonder where he'll be another 5+ years from now, and how his body will hold up. At the same time, I'd love to see Dobson's progression...a redraft a decade from now I expect to see him in the top 5.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Love me some Brady:popcorn:

- Zibanejad, 2nd (Berggren) for Brassard (now left with JBD, Tychonick, Gustavsson)

- Turris, Bowers, 1st (Byram) for Duchene (now left with Abramov, Davidsson, Thomson)

- Hoffman for Boedker

- Dahlen for Burrows

Karlsson, Dzingel and Pageau trades are all looking good right now though, and those trades were made quite recently, so it makes sense that Dorion hasn't gotten criticized nearly as much lately as before, but that doesn't make him a good GM. Still far more egregious mistakes than wins and has made this team worse as GM.

Those were all terrible except Dahlen/Burrows

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Wrote a little poem:

Brady Tkachuk, get out of his way,
Upon your face, his glove shall lay
Brady Tkachuk, is on the ice,
Brady Tkachuk, is not very nice,
He finds a way, to make you sway
He finds the crease, even on his knees
Brady Tkachuk, has no fear
He will run you over, like a deer
He lives in the blue, goalies know it's true
He loves to score, right from the door
Brady Tkachuk, is the best
As a Senator, may he rest

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.

- Hoffman for Boedker

- Dahlen for Burrows

People are still bitching about these moves?

Newsflash...GMs make mistakes. There isn't a GM in the league who hasn't made a move he regrets.

The Zibanejad trade was terrible .. that's a given.

Duchene was a gamble. At least Dorion had the cajones to go for it and land a star player. It didn't work out. Would you have rather kept Turris and given him a 6 year deal at 6M per?

Stone wasn't sticking around (He said it himself). Dorion took the best deal he was offered.

Hoffman was probably on the outs in the Sens locker room. It was bad luck that he didn't fit in with the team.

Dahlen for Burrows was a fine trade.

Reactions: Sweatred

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

- Hoffman for Boedker

- Dahlen for Burrows

Yeah anyone saying the guy was unfairly criticized isn’t paying attention or is being paid by dorion.
Less criticism lately replaced with some praise because it’s appropriate now.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah anyone saying the guy was unfairly criticized isn’t paying attention or is being paid by dorion.

The point is for most of those trades, (exception being Zibanejad) those trades weren't as bad as people portrayed them. The fact that Jonathan Dahlen still comes up speaks volume in regards to unfair criticism.

Reactions: Sweatred and JD1

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
The point is for most of those trades, (exception being Zibanejad) those trades weren't as bad as people portrayed them. The fact that Jonathan Dahlen still comes up speaks volume in regards to unfair criticism.

The Dahlen trade wasn't super awful by itself. But the context makes it super awful. We get a better player we probably win a cup. But Dorion brought in a player who was basically retired at that point. I've seriously never seen a softer player play for this team. He was scared of contact by that point and promptly retired even with the charity of a contract dorion gave him.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I don't think this thread should turn into a Dorion evaluation thread. We all know he's made some deals that turned out great and some that turned out terrible. This has been debated over and over again in multiple threads and it has nothing to do with Brady Tkachuk right now.

Tkachuk was an amazing selection. For this franchise I think it was instrumental that we draft a player like him with a family history in the NHL. He's a personality, he plays hard and he's fun to watch. He seems to bring a great vibe every day and makes it fun for the guys to come at the rink and bottom line this is something this team needed badly after the last few years. There just isn't anyone else from that draft that has that kind of impact off ice on a franchise right now. He's the main reason people tuned in to watch games in the last 2 years I would say. It's pretty exciting to have a person and player like that on the team, and I think it brings some type of legitimacy to the Ottawa Senators that just dissapeared in the last 3-4 years.

I was very high on Hughes and would've preferred him over Tkachuk at the draft. I'm sure I could find some posts of me being mad that we drafted Tkachuk over Hughes on this board but I couldn't be any happier to have him in Ottawa. I would actually take Tkachuk over Dahlin, Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi and Hughes right now because of that impact. Svechnikov and Tkachuk basically have the same amount of goals and Tkachuk is just a different breed of player that's increasingly rare in this league. Obviously that could easily be debated, especially for Svechnikov, but I don't think you'll find anyone dissapointed with getting Tkachuk. It was a massive win for this team.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
45-50 points is basically his realistic low end production, heck he could have put up 50 points this season as a 20 year old if he played on a more offensive team. And putting up 50 is no joke. Drew Doughty has managed it 3 times in his career. that number has you as a top 15 point producer league wide even now. Any higher and you're flirting with the top 10/top 5 . That's top tier production.

I think Tkachuk is going to be a 60 point forward who with the right linemates could hit 70. Unless you think Tkachuk is going to be a consistent PPG forward we probably evaluate him the same.

Hughes is a great young defenceman no doubt. There's a lot of great young pmd players and Hughes is certainly near the top of that group. And that group is growing. NHL teams need to be able to contend with a top pmd on almost a nightly basis and the defensive strategies to deal with are in place league wide every night.

And then Brady Tkachuk rolls in to town. And he's unique. He f***ing huge and getting bigger. And what you're trying to defend is his office. And you don't have a strategy to deal with Brady because you don't face a Brady every night.

Brady Tkachuk is going to create far more problems over the next decade for NHL teams to defend than a pmd. They're going to see a pmd every night. Chabot. Ghost. Makar. Hughes. McAvoy. Reilly. What's my pmd shut down strategy? Every game.

Reactions: TheDebater

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

For sure he was unfairly criticized. Just look at the shit show the Karlsson trade created. That trade was a homerun. It was not possible to analyze it at that time because any attempt to try to evaluate that trade fairly as opposed to full on criticism of it was met here with attack after attack.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

No kidding .... How on earth can the Dahlen trade be viewed as a blunder. The extension speaks to the difficulty of getting players to move to Ottberia.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Dahlen for Burrows gets brought up not because of Dahlen but because we traded an asset for a piece we promptly had to buy out.

Take the asset we gave up out of the equasion and many people would still complain because Burrows was a divisive player even at his peak with lots of people hating him for his antics, and resulted in him being anchor so bad we bought him out.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
No kidding .... How on earth can the Dahlen trade be viewed as a blunder. The extension speaks to the difficulty of getting players to move to Ottberia.

You know, this being my hometown, i kind of take offence to your constant referencing of this town as Ottberia

Reactions: BradyTkachucky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad