Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk: Episode 4 - A new hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That's what people were saying about Matthew too, and in his 3rd NHL season he's on pace to put up a 30+ goal PPG season... It's way too early to project Brady imo.
Sure, but Matthew is a driver, he is dictating the play on his own line (Backlund and Frolik, Brouwer and Versteeg...) since he entered the league. As I said, I'm not sure Brady will ever be doing that.

It's not too early to project someone, ever. That is literally the definition of projection.

Right now, that's what I project him as (which is the same way I projected him before the draft). Of course things can change, and if they change for the better, that's awesome, wouldn't put it past him at all. I will adjust my expectations when things happen to make me think different, one way or another.

Reactions: Caesar Rex

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Sure, but Matthew is a driver, he is dictating the play on his own line (Backlund and Frolik, Brouwer and Versteeg...) since he entered the league. As I said, I'm not sure Brady will ever be doing that.

It's not too early to project someone, ever. That is literally the definition of projection.

Right now, that's what I project him as (which is the same way I projected him before the draft). Of course things can change, and if they change for the better, that's awesome, wouldn't put it past him at all. I will adjust my expectations when things happen to make me think different, one way or another.

Fair enough, that's your opinion! I was watching the Flames quite a bit in Matthew's first 2 seasons because I had Gaudreau and Monahan in different fantasy leagues, and it's only this season and towards the middle of last season that Matthew really started driving play imo. He was more like Brady early on in his career, crashing around the net and carrying the puck less. I don't see why Brady can't follow a similar trajectory once he settles in more and gets more confident.

Reactions: aragorn

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

I think Brady is the more physical of the two...Brady looks for contact,not saying Matthew is a wimp though

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Fair enough, that's your opinion! I was watching the Flames quite a bit in Matthew's first 2 seasons because I had Gaudreau and Monahan in different fantasy leagues, and it's only this season and towards the middle of last season that Matthew really started driving play imo. He was more like Brady early on in his career, crashing around the net and carrying the puck less. I don't see why Brady can't follow a similar trajectory once he settles in more and gets more confident.

To me, Matthew attempts plays and passes that Brady doesn't even think of. And that's going back to their juniors, WJCs and rookie seasons.

They have different skill sets.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think Brady is the more physical of the two...Brady looks for contact,not saying Matthew is a wimp though
As do I, Brady plays the game with a spur in his boot at all times, once he packs on 10/15 pounds he will become more effective in the areas where he is going to excel, which is below the hashmarks and in front of the net. He is going to make his living there, and he will likely be top 3 at that for a good number of years similar to how Simmonds was always thought of as the premier net front presence for the better end of a decade.

He may become a guy that dictates play and develops plays around the rink as his brother does, I haven't seen that yet outside of that area of the ice he excels, but he is only 19 and will continue to get stronger.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
As do I, Brady plays the game with a spur in his boot at all times, once he packs on 10/15 pounds he will become more effective in the areas where he is going to excel, which is below the hashmarks and in front of the net. He is going to make his living there, and he will likely be top 3 at that for a good number of years similar to how Simmonds was always thought of as the premier net front presence for the better end of a decade.

He may become a guy that dictates play and develops plays around the rink as his brother does, I haven't seen that yet outside of that area of the ice he excels, but he is only 19 and will continue to get stronger.
Jesus this kid at 23 will be just crushing guys,and owning defenders below the circles....Every team needs that,but as far as open ice skill he is better to defer that to someone else..In short I love him and Iam not worried about him in the slightest

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Exactly. I live in Calgary so I watch my fair share of games as well. Brady plays a very similar style to Mathew. No reason why Brady wont develop more of that playmaking side to his game like Mathew did. He is definitely on that development path. Brady is already a very good possession player and sees the ice very well for a 19 year old.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Exactly. I live in Calgary so I watch my fair share of games as well. Brady plays a very similar style to Mathew. No reason why Brady wont develop more of that playmaking side to his game like Mathew did. He is definitely on that development path. Brady is already a very good possession player and sees the ice very well for a 19 year old.
Just his nasty ,makes me happy ...Players that care play like that,add in the swagger he has ...And he wont except just being brother of Matthew

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton

Excellent post. Finally someone with an objective view on Tkachuk, other than me.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Nice goal last night. From his interview after the first it looks like he has put on a few lb of soft weight. I wonder if that is directed by the Sens or a product of a young man still figuring our life style/nutrition?

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Nice goal last night. From his interview after the first it looks like he has put on a few lb of soft weight. I wonder if that is directed by the Sens or a product of a young man still figuring our life style/nutrition?
You can tell that from his interview in the first? Are you saying his face looked fatter?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He's going to develop into a good player, but it's way too much to place all of our hopes dreams/emotional Sens baggage on him. He's not that type of player who is going to live up to those kind of expectations. He's probably never going to have a season like his brother is having now. With that said, he will be a top 6 or better power forward and a great leader for us, so there's a lot of value there.

People should get prepared for a sophomore slump. Unless Brown or Batherson break out as a player who can be paired with him and help drive the offense, I think we are going to see just how much of an effect Stone has had on Tkachuk. Stone elevates those around him, and in a way this has probably helped shelter Tkachuk and White on his line.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
BT has powerforward written all over him, IMO he will continue to get a little better every yr. Colin White also looks like he is slowly becoming an excellent two way player & Chabot a #1 defencemen. Then we have Batherson, Brown, Chlapik, Formenton & Norris down the road.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
BT has powerforward written all over him, IMO he will continue to get a little better every yr. Colin White also looks like he is slowly becoming an excellent two way player & Chabot a #1 defencemen. Then we have Batherson, Brown, Chlapik, Formenton & Norris down the road.
He kinda reminds me of the center ice version of Macarther,just a good all around grinding player

Reactions: aragorn and Deku

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I've seen him in person, he's a beanpole. An extended summer off with good strength training will do wonders for him.
It's true, it's the first thing you notice about White without his equipment on, but so was Turris who he reminds me of. IMO White is going to be slightly better defensively than Turris while Turris was with us anyway better offensively but hopefully that will come with experience too with White.

Manhattan

Dec 23, 2013
Stockholm
He has to improve his skating a lot, it’s ridiculous how often and easy he falls to the ice.

Sens still should have given Avs last years draft pick, Because everyone knew Sens Would finish dead last this year.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
He has to improve his skating a lot, it’s ridiculous how often and easy he falls to the ice.

Sens still should have given Avs last years draft pick, Because everyone knew Sens Would finish dead last this year.

He's 19, he'll improve.

I'm fine with taking Tkachuk instead of giving up the pick last year. Hindsight is 20/20 but it was guaranteed #4 or a pick ranging anywhere from 1-9. We rolled the dice and lost.

Whether we take a top 6 power forward (Tkachuk) or a #1 center (Hughes, and that's not even a sure thing, there's still a lottery), I see both as prerequisite ingredients to a cup winning roster (and both hard to get). We got one of the two now, we'll get the other hopefully in the next year or two during the rebuild.

Reactions: pzeeman and aragorn

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I've seen him in person, he's a beanpole. An extended summer off with good strength training will do wonders for him.

Yup looks like Bamby out there falling down and skinny.

Give him two years of working put and eating and he will be a tank.

Not worried about Tkachuk at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad