Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk: Episode 4 - A new hope

Discussion in 'Ottawa Senators' started by Micklebot, Oct 12, 2018.

1. BondraTime

BondraTime Registered User

Sure, but Matthew is a driver, he is dictating the play on his own line (Backlund and Frolik, Brouwer and Versteeg...) since he entered the league. As I said, I'm not sure Brady will ever be doing that.

It's not too early to project someone, ever. That is literally the definition of projection.

Right now, that's what I project him as (which is the same way I projected him before the draft). Of course things can change, and if they change for the better, that's awesome, wouldn't put it past him at all. I will adjust my expectations when things happen to make me think different, one way or another.

Caesar Rex likes this.
  2. Sensinitis

Sensinitis Registered User

Fair enough, that's your opinion! I was watching the Flames quite a bit in Matthew's first 2 seasons because I had Gaudreau and Monahan in different fantasy leagues, and it's only this season and towards the middle of last season that Matthew really started driving play imo. He was more like Brady early on in his career, crashing around the net and carrying the puck less. I don't see why Brady can't follow a similar trajectory once he settles in more and gets more confident.

3. topshelf15

topshelf15 Registered User

I think Brady is the more physical of the two...Brady looks for contact,not saying Matthew is a wimp though

4. Caesar Rex

Caesar Rex Et tu, Dorion

To me, Matthew attempts plays and passes that Brady doesn't even think of. And that's going back to their juniors, WJCs and rookie seasons.

They have different skill sets.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  5. BondraTime

BondraTime Registered User

As do I, Brady plays the game with a spur in his boot at all times, once he packs on 10/15 pounds he will become more effective in the areas where he is going to excel, which is below the hashmarks and in front of the net. He is going to make his living there, and he will likely be top 3 at that for a good number of years similar to how Simmonds was always thought of as the premier net front presence for the better end of a decade.

He may become a guy that dictates play and develops plays around the rink as his brother does, I haven't seen that yet outside of that area of the ice he excels, but he is only 19 and will continue to get stronger.

danielpalfredsson and topshelf15 like this.
  6. topshelf15

Jesus this kid at 23 will be just crushing guys,and owning defenders below the circles....Every team needs that,but as far as open ice skill he is better to defer that to someone else..In short I love him and Iam not worried about him in the slightest

The Lewler and aragorn like this.
  7. Sensmileletsgo

Sensmileletsgo Registered User

Exactly. I live in Calgary so I watch my fair share of games as well. Brady plays a very similar style to Mathew. No reason why Brady wont develop more of that playmaking side to his game like Mathew did. He is definitely on that development path. Brady is already a very good possession player and sees the ice very well for a 19 year old.

8. topshelf15

Just his nasty ,makes me happy ...Players that care play like that,add in the swagger he has ...And he wont except just being brother of Matthew

9. Answer

Answer Registered User

Excellent post. Finally someone with an objective view on Tkachuk, other than me.

10. Sweatred

Sweatred Registered User

Nice goal last night. From his interview after the first it looks like he has put on a few lb of soft weight. I wonder if that is directed by the Sens or a product of a young man still figuring our life style/nutrition?

11. Sensmileletsgo

Sensmileletsgo Registered User

You can tell that from his interview in the first? Are you saying his face looked fatter?

12. Sweatred

Sweatred Registered User

YEP.

13. danielpalfredsson

danielpalfredsson wishes he thought of 'pete dorito' first

not a schmohawk
    He's going to develop into a good player, but it's way too much to place all of our hopes dreams/emotional Sens baggage on him. He's not that type of player who is going to live up to those kind of expectations. He's probably never going to have a season like his brother is having now. With that said, he will be a top 6 or better power forward and a great leader for us, so there's a lot of value there.

People should get prepared for a sophomore slump. Unless Brown or Batherson break out as a player who can be paired with him and help drive the offense, I think we are going to see just how much of an effect Stone has had on Tkachuk. Stone elevates those around him, and in a way this has probably helped shelter Tkachuk and White on his line.

14. HSF

HSF Registered User

He is gonna be so nasty in a year or two

topshelf15 likes this.
  15. aragorn

aragorn #Boucherout

BT has powerforward written all over him, IMO he will continue to get a little better every yr. Colin White also looks like he is slowly becoming an excellent two way player & Chabot a #1 defencemen. Then we have Batherson, Brown, Chlapik, Formenton & Norris down the road.

16. topshelf15

He kinda reminds me of the center ice version of Macarther,just a good all around grinding player

aragorn and Deku like this.
  17. Moon Walker

Moon Walker Registered User

Next captain I guess, sorry Brady

18. BankStreetParade

BankStreetParade Registered User

I've seen him in person, he's a beanpole. An extended summer off with good strength training will do wonders for him.

topshelf15 likes this.
  19. aragorn

aragorn #Boucherout

It's true, it's the first thing you notice about White without his equipment on, but so was Turris who he reminds me of. IMO White is going to be slightly better defensively than Turris while Turris was with us anyway better offensively but hopefully that will come with experience too with White.