Confirmed with Link: Brady Skjei for 2020 1st Round Draft Pick

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I don't mind the deal on its own. It's a likely middle round first for a Top 4 defenseman. That's a good deal.

But it does worry me for the reasons already mentioned. We're now spending way too much on our defense, still have Svech and Dougie's contract to worry about, and this is yet another logjam for the defensive prospects we continue to acquire for whatever reason.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Rangers fan here. I like Skjei, but I’m happy about this trade. Skjei was never going to return back to form for us, but I have little doubt that he will be a better defenseman for Carolina. Great size and elite speed, but below average hockey IQ and hands. I also like Carolina, so even if Skjei turns into a great d-man there, I’m happy both ways. Good luck to him. I still think Carolina won the deadline big time.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
very much this

Why did the Rangers just jettison him while only 4 points out of playoff position?

The only reason NYR was in a Playoff position just got injured in a car wreck and will be out for weeks.

Skjei was playing with Trouba on NYR's top pair. They made this move to open salary for DeAngelo and Kreider's extensions. Reports earlier said NYR was shopping Staal and Smith but couldn't find any takers. With Trouba making $8 million there is only so much to go around.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
very much this

Why did the Rangers just jettison him while only 4 points out of playoff position?
The Rangers are where d-men with big contracts go to die. No but I think Ruff is the problem, and Skjei showed a lot of promise in his rookie season. He’ll be better in Carolina. I firmly believe that, especially if he’s not asked to play against top players. He just wasn’t going to be good here, and 1) We are still sticking to the long term plan, and 2) We need to resign ADA.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Nightmare scenario is TOR misses and it becomes a lotto pick, and our 1st goes to NYR leaving us with none this year.

I haven't seen enough of Skjei to really have an opinion other than some Rangers saying he's low IQ, but just a few years ago was dynamite. Was he being relied on too much and would do better in a lesser role? Is he the love-child of Gardiner's offense but Edmundson's decision-msking. Not a fan of giving up the first, but it is a term deal.

The big question is what happens with Gardiner now as Skjei theoretically replaces him? There's now a LHD logjam like we had on RHD last year. Unless we plan on carrying a $30M defense into next year?

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Nightmare scenario is TOR misses and it becomes a lotto pick, and our 1st goes to NYR leaving us with none this year.

I haven't seen enough of Skjei to really have an opinion other than some Rangers saying he's low IQ, but just a few years ago was dynamite. Was he being relied on too much and would do better in a lesser role? Is he the love-child of Gardiner's offense but Edmundson's decision-msking. Not a fan of giving up the first, but it is a term deal.

The big question is what happens with Gardiner now as Skjei theoretically replaces him? There's now a LHD logjam like we had on RHD last year. Unless we plan on carrying a $30M defense into next year?

I think that they're just fine with an expensive D next year, especially with the Marleau cap dump expiring and only Foegele and Fleury as RFAs to sign.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
So what happens if Toronto misses the playoffs and gets a top 10 pick and defers to 2021 and we also miss the playoffs and win the lotto? We screwed? I guess we could still give them Toronto's deferred pick?

Reactions: zman77

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
This will seriously backfire if Toronto completely collapses and they get a top 10 pick in the lottery.

No, Toronto's pick is protected top-10. So we would give the Canes' pick regardless and we'd have 2 1sts in 2021. Not bad for us, either way. This far-fetched "Canes and Leafs win the Lottery" scenario is incredibly unlikely to happen.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The worst case scenario is if both Carolina and Toronto miss the playoffs, Toronto is a top 10 pick and Canes win the lottery. Hopefully they put some top 3 protection on this pick. Gulp.

Would suck even more because the Ranger (losing to them 4 times) would be a big reason we missed, if we do miss.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
The worst case scenario is if both Carolina and Toronto miss the playoffs, Toronto is a top 10 pick and Canes win the lottery. Hopefully they put some top 3 protection on this pick. Gulp.

Would suck even more because the Ranger (losing to them 4 times) would be a big reason we missed, if we do miss.

It's probably not been written on CapFriendly specifically because the official conditions haven't been announced. It's likely to be a rather complex one, not unlike the Haula conditions which were met today with the Trocheck deal.

Reactions: Tryamw and zman77

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
No, Toronto's pick is protected top-10. So we would give the Canes' pick regardless and we'd have 2 1sts in 2021. Not bad for us, either way. This far-fetched "Canes and Leafs win the Lottery" scenario is incredibly unlikely to happen.
With how deep this draft is, not having a single first rounder this year would be bad. With Toronto being Top 10 protected, if that protection hits, we wouldn't have that one to give, and we'd be forced to give up ours. Yeah, we'd still have 2 in 2021, but that draft doesn't look to be as potent as this one

Reactions: MinJaBen

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t mind giving up a first for a guy who has a few more years left as a top 4 d. As long as it’s the right defenseman.

We’ll see in time if they gave up a good guy because of a cap squeeze or if they knew something we don’t about him and sold high.

Reactions: cptjeff

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

I’m not so sure on this. So far we’ve only heard that it would be the “worse” of the 2 picks and CAR gets to choose. There very well could be a condition that CAR gets to say the worse of the picks will be in 2021, so that’s the one that goes to NYR.

Maybe that’s the holdup in the official announcement. Remember it took forever for the conditions on the 5th round pick involved in the Haula trade to be worked out.

Reactions: AndreiThreeK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad