Confirmed with Link: Brady Skjei for 2020 1st Round Draft Pick

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The puck came along the ice to his forehand and he missed it. That has absolutely nothing to do with handedness in conjunction to playing the offside. It was simply a miss. Attributing it to playing out of position, even if only a low-key excuse, is still laughable. If it were coming to his backhand, then I'm not debating this, but it came to his forehand. C'mon.

Again, just leave it at "it jumped his stick". No reason to dig deep in your pockets for explanations.
His whole body positioning looked awkward. He didn’t look comfortable receiving the pass. Yes it jumped but he didn’t look at all natural trying to recover. When it’s your normal side even when you goof you tend to recover.

I have zero bias to the guy, I’m borderline questioning the trade, I’m not gonna spend one second making excuses for him. That play looked awkward, easily explained by being one of his first shifts with a new team and a new partner while playing the wrong side. If he did it over again he’d keep his ass against the boards and when it jumped his stick he could make a play with either leg still and then maybe spin for another shot with his stick instead of what happened. Or maybe have his feet moving so he can keep up with the pass whether it jumped or not. No “digging deep” here, looked awkward live.

Like someone not used to being in that spot in that moment. Which he obviously wasn’t for a variety of reasons.

Last edited:

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I have read different opinions on this draft. Some think the top 10-12 are really strong. One or two draft gurus like the depth. But quite a few (Hockey Prospect's Mark Edwards is quite adamant) say this is a below average draft.

My take is that it is like 2017. Strong through the top dozen or so then hit or miss.

Hope you are right. I mean IDK shit about prospects but I have heard everybody say its the deepest draft in god knows however and nobody say its overrated until now, when we inexplicably trade one of our 1st rounders for no reason

Reactions: MinJaBen

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I can't watch this anymore. Just another random goalie embarrass the Canes. Why can't they fire their goal scout and hire somebody like all these other teams that manage to find guys who can play the position with some level of competance.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Brady Skjei’s Surprising Early Success: By: Brett Finger

His mobility and aggression with and without the puck has been a pleasant surprise. My initial impression is that he looks like a combination of Hamilton and Slavin.
He reminds me of Slavin, in part, because of his build and mobility. He carries the puck out of trouble areas in the defensive zone with a Slavin-like confidence and doubles down on it at the offensive blue line. He always carries pucks in, and it’s almost always successful because I think he catches teams off guard with just how quick he is for such a big guy.
He reminds me of Hamilton because of his play within the offensive zone. In just three games with the Hurricanes, Skjei has spent more time than anyone pinching in the zone and roaming around to create problems for his opponents.
These are comparisons based on his style, not based on his raw ability.
He’s not as good as Slavin in the defensive zone. He’s not as good as Hamilton in the offensive zone. There have already been a few examples of defensive shortcomings in the form of coverage breakdowns that Slavin has made a career out of not making. There have been a couple of instances where he hasn’t capitalized on chances that Hamilton has made a career of cashing in on.
He isn’t them, but he doesn’t have to be. The way he plays has fit surprisingly well in the infancy stages of his Hurricanes tenure and it’s easy to see why the idea of a Slavin-Hamilton, Skjei-Pesce top-four was such a tempting proposition for Carolina’s front office. Frankly, as someone who has gone on record all season as being a bigger fan of his game than almost anyone, Skjei feels like what the Hurricanes were hoping to get from Jake Gardiner - at 5v5, in particular.
Quick Whistles: Looking Back at the Trade Deadline, Brady Skjei’s Surprising Early Success

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Some tasty takes in this thread. From both sides. Rangers fans coming in saying we’ll hate him - love that part. Lol.

You guys seriously overpaid. No more than a 2ed or a 3rd. Overrated. Fox and Lindgren 2 rookies made him expendable. Good luck. You'll need it. Tool box and no brains. Rangers fans hated when he was on the ice. Rangers improved their defense by trading Skjei.

And then what happened? Lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad