Confirmed with Link: Brady Skjei for 2020 1st Round Draft Pick

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Skej looked very promising why did he seem to fall off from like 2 years ago. I'll admit this is just form looking at his stats.

He got that contract and became lazy. All tools and no brains. He will make you pullout your hair with his decision making.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I think this trade is outrageous. You don't give the Rangers anything, especially in this draft. I guess I like the other trades but this one is insane, especially with the money he makes. I get they want to make the playoffs 2 years in a row for once, but not at the expense of reducing the entire prospect pool and bleeding draft picks in a great draft.

Reactions: MinJaBen

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I didn't want to trade a 1st, but this move is fine with me as far as trading a 1st goes. I know there's that little nagging voice in the back of our heads about the doomsday scenarios, but I don't see those long shot scenarios happening.

As for Skjei, he fits the profile of what we like, and though he may have some warts, I still trust this management team and coaching staff a lot. And there is absolutely nothing stopping us from moving on from him like we have other players we had for a year like Priskie, Haula, de Haan, etc. He would still have some kind of value even if he doesn't work out here, or if we just need to move on from some salary. We'll also have the option to trade away salary elsewhere in the form of Dzingel, Gardiner, Nino, Brock, Marty, Reimer, etc. And if it does turn out to be Hamilton that needs to be moved, as I mentioned in the Vatanen thread, they could look to sign Vatanen and trade Hamilton to replace the majority of the young assets or picks they moved on from today.

I don't know how it will work out, and I still would have liked to keep the 1st, but we still have plenty of picks and most of our best prospects, and the chance I wanted to keep things rolling this year.

Reactions: cptjeff

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He has value, his deal isn’t out of whack, he’s controlled through his prime and is currently a clear top 4 guy. There’s some sense in him being the guy we gave the pick up for. He has to live up to it with his play though. I haven’t paid enough attention to him to really say where he’s at currently coming in. Rangers fans are annoyed but they’re rebuilding and he’s been out behind a young team and likely carrying too heavy a load.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Skjei does have ability and could still be an effective player in the right frame of mind.

His whole thing is that he's very limited with the puck and he thinks he's Erik Karlsson. It's not a good combination.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Just being truthful. I dont think hes worth a 1st. Hopefully it works out for your Canes.
I remember when Flames and Bruins posters flooded our boards as well talking that damn truth about how horrible Hamilton was and we've all seen how that played out. And we heard the same about Gardiner and he's quickly turning into a solid 2nd pairing dmen.

But I'm sure you know more about this than the guys paid to evaluate players across the league.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Next year Suzuki and Bokk will likely be with the Checkers.

If my math is right, with his May 2001 birthday, he's got another season in juniors before being eligible for the AHL.

I agree that Bokk is likely here next season. He's the Gauthier replacement in the GMBC's mind in my opinion. While not quite as imposing a physical specimen, he does have size and an even better shot.

I get they want to make the playoffs 2 years in a row for once, but not at the expense of reducing the entire prospect pool and bleeding draft picks in a great draft.

Also hate losing the 1st in a good draft, but realistically, mid-to-late 1st round draft picks aren't going to see the NHL for 3 or more years. While I feel our true window is next year and the subsequent 3 years after, clearly the front office feels it is necessary now.

Don Waddell, in his presser, intimated that these were business decisions....as in it is pretty critical to make the playoffs from a business perspective. In the end, at a minimum (assuming we don't totally collapse and neither does Toronto), we'll end up with 4 picks in the Top 100. Not a king's ransom, but one more than normal. Given what happened at last year's draft, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Borg turn that into an extra pick or two.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If my math is right, with his May 2001 birthday, he's got another season in juniors before being eligible for the AHL.

I agree that Bokk is likely here next season. He's the Gauthier replacement in the GMBC's mind in my opinion. While not quite as imposing a physical specimen, he does have size and an even better shot.

If both their SHL seasons are over prior to the AHL season ending, I think we'll see both Sellgren and Bokk come over this year for remainder of the Checkers' season and in it for the entire season next year. I also think they're going to put the full-court press on Drury and Cotton as soon as they are able to.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
You guys seriously overpaid. No more than a 2ed or a 3rd. Overrated. Fox and Lindgren 2 rookies made him expendable. Good luck. You'll need it. Tool box and no brains. Rangers fans hated when he was on the ice. Rangers improved their defense by trading Skjei.
Canes fans, please ignore the above post. No other fan base ridicules its players like the NY Rangers.
If they like a player, they will find an excuse to cover any poor play. If they dislike a player, they will dwell on any poor play and ignore the good.
Last year, it was Neal Pionk. The guy was a rookie and all many Ranger fans could do is crap all over him. The poor kid was playing 1D minutes as a rookie. Now he is with Winnipeg and is thriving.
Brady is no Slavin or Pesce, but he will slot in to second pairing very nicely.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Canes fans, please ignore the above post. No other fan base ridicules its players like the NY Rangers.
If they like a player, they will find an excuse to cover any poor play. If they dislike a player, they will dwell on any poor play and ignore the good.
Last year, it was Neal Pionk. The guy was a rookie and all many Ranger fans could do is crap all over him. The poor kid was playing 1D minutes as a rookie. Now he is with Winnipeg and is thriving.

And before Pionk it was Hayes, and before Hayes it was Miller. I'm starting to notice a trend here.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
And before Pionk it was Hayes, and before Hayes it was Miller. I'm starting to notice a trend here.
Maybe it is only an HF phenomenon, but it seems like every year, they pick someone to ridicule. Hell, up until recently, there were plenty of them calling for Quinn's head. I have to think that most of them have never been around the game in any meaningful way. They are just fans that are irrational. Like Yankee fans calling WFAN with their hot takes.

Reactions: cptjeff and zman77

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
So we basically just re-acquired Noah Hanifin...amirite?
I was thinking the exact same thing. Big, strong and fast skater...meh shot...questionable hockey IQ. Yeah, we just paid a first for Noah Hanifin with a $5.25M contract.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
This is one I just can’t wrap my head around, especially from a long term planning standpoint. Gardiner will have to be moved, no two ways about it. I guess the plan will be to roll with Slavin-Dougie, Skjei-Pesce, and maybe Bean-Fleury?

On top of all that, I still don’t like how much makes, considering the contracts that need to be given out in the near future.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
We'll see how it pans out, it's tough cause it feels like he's signed to a July 1 sized contract and we paid the 1st to get that. But there aren't many top 4 defenseman locked down through their prime that teams are actually willing to move for a 1st. It looks like we went down the line of Brodin, Dumba, Petry, etc. and the prices were all too steep beyond just the pick. So maybe not the ideal player we imagined using this 1st, but we obviously need D and it's the deal that was there to be made right now.

This front office is willing to overpay or take a slight loss on a trade if it fits with their other moves and gets the roster needs to be. It's nice to have ownership that essentially bought this player from a division rival by being willing to take on his and Marleau's contract.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

I actually liked Pionk and wish they traded Skjei for Trouba instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad