Confirmed with Link: Brady Skjei for 2020 1st Round Draft Pick

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
So we've still got a 1st, 2 2nds, 2 3rds, Bokk, Bean, Suzuki, Rees etc. and we're all whining because we traded a 1st for a defenseman with term (which everyone knows we were looking for).

f*cking hell.
A 3rd pairing guy who makes Slavin money for several years, but hey at least he has term

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I'd like to see how Skjei plays alongside a player like Pesce. May allow him to excel himself. I also thing Gardiner is gone this summer in some way, as a few of you have said. I think we are looking at a D of:

Slavin-Hamilton
Skjei-Pesce
Fleury-Vatanen?Keane?TVR?

I like that D, and think that Skjei's skating ability makes a big difference. There is a reason we struggle against the Rangers, they have D that can skate, go get the puck and get it out....not allowing us to set up our forecheck pressure.

Reactions: VAcaniac

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Hamilton and Pesce are out maybe for the rest of the year so he'd be a good addition for this year but I'm not how we would make it work long term since Skjei has several years left on his deal. I'm guessing Hamilton or Pesce would be trade bait. Doubt anyone would be interested in Gardiner without retention and/or paying someone to take him.

Or alternatively, Skjei is the one that's flipped in the off-season.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I don't see how we get Skjei without moving Gardiner.

Long term it just doesn't work surely.

I think Gardiner can be flipped in the off-season, but there's no way they move him now with both Hamilton and Pesce out. Gardiner could also be an expansion target for Seattle.

Maybe they wait to determine Hamilton's contract before flipping Gardiner as well.

This is the one deal I'm not sure about yet. It's a high price for a player who may not fit into the defensive structure, unlike Gardiner who was simply a UFA contract or Vatanen who turns out to be a resonable rental.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'd like to see how Skjei plays alongside a player like Pesce. May allow him to excel himself. I also thing Gardiner is gone this summer in some way, as a few of you have said. I think we are looking at a D of:

Slavin-Hamilton
Skjei-Pesce
Fleury-Vatanen?Keane?TVR?

I like that D, and think that Skjei's skating ability makes a big difference. There is a reason we struggle against the Rangers, they have D that can skate, go get the puck and get it out....not allowing us to set up our forecheck pressure.
Good god, looking at that potential defense for next year.... Gardiner moving out and Vatanen signing long term would have us as a legit short list Stanley Cup contender beginning next year. And then you factor in the upgrade we just made at 2C... Today wasn't just a win for this year, but it might have just set in motion a huge positive shift for next year as well.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The Canes have essentially a direct comparable to Skjei in Brett Pesce. 25 year old 6'3" mobile defenders who can play a shutdown role and provide some offense. They know what this type of D should look like and they just paid a 1st round pick to acquire one. I've always been a Skjei fan and think he will do well here.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
I hate this deal. I look at what other D went for, and yes they were mostly rentals but we can still pay them. I mean if a 1st was on the table we could have beat that garbage that Lehner and Gus got.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Any reports yet on which 1st was moved and if there were any conditions on the pick?

Nobody knows anything.

Though I have to imagine that since the two picks are pretty evenly valued, it'll be a case of either NYR/CAR getting to choose what pick it is (i.e. NYR choosing the higher one or CAR choosing the lower one).

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Skej looked very promising why did he seem to fall off from like 2 years ago. I'll admit this is just form looking at his stats.

IMO, it's this. Skjei was getting more sheltered minutes two years ago and excelled at it. At the time, some Ranger's fans were comparing him to Slavin. Suddenly, McDonagh gets moved, Shattenkirk gets injured, the Rangers are throwing in the towel and he has to be the man, without much supporting cast.

He's likely not as good as people thought he was back then, and not as bad as some fans think he is now. Remember, Pionk was viewed as hot garbage last year and is thriving now in WPG.

I'm not suggesting Skjei doesn't have issues, but I think in a situation where he doesn't have to be "the guy", he can be quite useful. I love a Slavin-Hamilton, Skjei-Pesce top 4, but only time will tell if it works out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad