Confirmed with Link: Brady Skjei for 2020 1st Round Draft Pick

Justshootmore

Mar 13, 2018
I like Skjei as a player, but can anybody explain to me why we got another LD? Especially since it is not a pure rental? Like if everybody is healthy next season we have (assuming we lose all UFAs):

Slavin - Hamilton
Skjei - Pesce
Gardiner - Fleury

And what's the point of having Bean and Forsling in the AHL next season? Like they HAVE to trade Gardiner or Bean in summer, everything else makes no sense.

Reactions: zman77

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I would guess crazy situational conditions are why it is taking 4+ hours to finalize the deal. I very much doubt the Canes will be exposed to losing a top-10 pick.

Waddell said in the presser that getting the Skjei deal done allowed them to move on to Vatanen. To me that indicates it was done before 3PM but probably complicated.

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The worst case scenario is if both Carolina and Toronto miss the playoffs, Toronto is a top 10 pick and Canes win the lottery. Hopefully they put some top 3 protection on this pick. Gulp.

Would suck even more because the Ranger (losing to them 4 times) would be a big reason we missed, if we do miss.

Based on this language, we might have an out:

If this were to happen - sounds like we could trade for someone else’s first round pick to give to NYR.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

If this were to happen - sounds like we could trade for someone else’s first round pick to give to NYR.

I wonder if that does allow Carolina to acquire the #31 pick and give that to NYR instead. Would be a pretty crafty loophole.

Why would Waddell give New York a mid-20s pick if he could trade that pick for #31 + assets and give #31 to NYR?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Must say, I don't like no top 3 protection. I get that the chances of both Carolina's and Toronto's picks to be in the top 10/3 aren't great, but still, I'd hate for that to happen.

Reactions: AndreiThreeK

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
This is a good hockey trade for the canes for what is most likely a mid 20’s first round pick. Lots of ranger fans have made Brady somewhat of a whipping boy, but he’s a tall, great skating defenseman who will slot VERY nicely into a middle pairing role.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
This is the one thing I really didn't want them doing, trading a 1st.

But, it's done now and we can only hope for the best.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I wonder if that does allow Carolina to acquire the #31 pick and give that to NYR instead. Would be a pretty crafty loophole.

Why would Waddell give New York a mid-20s pick if he could trade that pick for #31 + assets and give #31 to NYR?

Probably because he wants to do future trades with the Rangers?

If it was a lottery pick (say Carolina got 1st OA and Toronto's was also top 10), then yeah, I could see something like that happening "IF" the wording is simply "if the Canes have more than 1 first, it's the later". Not sure what the exact wording is though.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Don Waddell, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has acquired defenseman Brady Skjei from the New York Rangers in exchange for a first-round selection in the 2020 NHL Draft. If the Hurricanes have more than one first-round selection, the latest first-round pick will be the one that transfers to New York.
“Brady is a big defenseman who checks all the boxes,” said Waddell. “He’s an excellent skater, he’s competitive, he can move the puck and he can defend. He’s under contract through the 2023-24 season, so this is another acquisition that helps us immediately and in the long-term.”
Skjei, 25, is in his fifth NHL season and has scored eight goals and added 15 assists (23 points) in 60 games with the New York Rangers. The Lakeville, Minn., native is second among Rangers defensemen in goals, fourth in assists and fourth in points, averaging 20:41 of ice time per game. The Rangers’ first round selection, 28th overall, in the 2012 NHL Draft, Skjei has totaled 112 points (25g, 87a) and 170 penalty minutes in 307 career games with New York. He was named to the NHL’s All-Rookie team in 2017 after registering 39 points (5g, 34a) in 80 games during his first full NHL season.
Carolina Hurricanes acquire Vatanen from Devils, Skjei from Rangers

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Really wishing they had just simply traded the TOR 1st. Then at least there wouldn’t be so many doomsday scenarios with the pick. Ah well, guess I’ll have to be a closet TOR fan for the next month and a half. They make the playoffs and it’s a non-issue.

I suppose also to a lesser extent, if the Canes make the playoffs it’s not really an issue either.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
LeBrun's tweet says it's the later of Carolina's and Toronto's.
NYR's website says: "The first-round pick the Rangers receive from Carolina will be the later selection of the two first-round picks that the Hurricanes own (either Carolina's own first-round pick or Toronto's first-round pick)."

Canes website says: "If the Hurricanes have more than one first-round selection, the latest first-round pick will be the one that transfers to New York."

So NYR's website and LeBrun both specify Carolina's or Toronto's. Canes website and tweet from Mike Smith is more ambiguous.

I tend to lean toward it being what LeBrun and NYR's say. Seems like the Ranger's wouldn't allow a loophole like that.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

The wording on the Rangers end of things is much more specific:
20200224_200850.jpg

I sincerely hope there was no confusion when this deal was agreed upon where the Rangers assumed it was either the Leafs' or your pick, while the Canes walked away thinking "the lowest of ANY 2020 1st".

What a mess that would be. Haha.

Last edited:

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
This is the one thing I really didn't want them doing, trading a 1st.

But, it's done now and we can only hope for the best.

The thing is what is that 1st going to do for us this year or next, or the next? Likely nothing. The Borg has made it abundantly clear they are interested in winning now moving forward. They won't even give prospects a chance unless they're 200% sure they are going to make an impact. They're leveraging some of the future for now and that's honestly the risk they need to take. The core of this team is Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton, Aho, TT, Svech, Necas, and now Trocheck. All young (some very young). They can afford some draft collateral.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
LeBrun's tweet says it's the later of Carolina's and Toronto's.
NYR's website says: "The first-round pick the Rangers receive from Carolina will be the later selection of the two first-round picks that the Hurricanes own (either Carolina's own first-round pick or Toronto's first-round pick)."

Canes website says: "If the Hurricanes have more than one first-round selection, the latest first-round pick will be the one that transfers to New York."

So NYR's website and LeBrun both specify Carolina's or Toronto's. Canes website and tweet from Mike Smith is more ambiguous.

I tend to lean toward it being what LeBrun and NYR's say. Seems like the Ranger's wouldn't allow a loophole like that.

Even the 1st scenario has questions. Let's say the wording is identifies Carolina and Toronto's 1sts. Toronto finishes with the 3rd-10th Overall and Carolina wins the lottery 1st Overall. Can Carolina then trade that 1st Overall to Toronto for their later 1st + assets? Still gives Toronto's 1st to NYR and the Canes recover some value.

I'm hoping the Canes end up with #31 and #11.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
As a Rangers fan, you'll hate Skjei within the 1st month. Has all the tools but no brains at hockey. Pinches at the wrong times, takes lazy penalties. I'm shocked some team paid a 1st for him.

hacknwack

Apr 6, 2019
very much this

Why did the Rangers just jettison him while only 4 points out of playoff position?

It's simple it's because it was a 1st round pick.

The Canes must really like Skjei because they knew the price was going to be steep for a D man from a metro rival trying to get back in the playoffs.

That's said...I wouldnt like the trade if it were just about any other year but ultimately I can accept it for a few reasons. First we have a ton of picks, the price was steep but it wasnt mortgaging the future because of our assets. Secondly even though this applies to our other trades we were going to need to move some prospects anyway. Next year Suzuki and Bokk will likely be with the Checkers.

This does tell me that we probably unload Dzingle and Gardiner in the off season. To create room for the Svech and Dougie deals. Either way it will be nice to have Skjei and Trocheck for the foreseeable future.

In my eyes the Canes want to keep the SAT line together. We could not do that without secondary scoring or a solid D core.

Reactions: DaveG

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Well, we’re good at hating defensemen.
You guys seriously overpaid. No more than a 2ed or a 3rd. Overrated. Fox and Lindgren 2 rookies made him expendable. Good luck. You'll need it. Tool box and no brains. Rangers fans hated when he was on the ice. Rangers improved their defense by trading Skjei.

Reactions: DaveG

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
this move feels like the type that might preclude us from signing hamilton considering the absolute glut of defenders we have in the organization right now. it's starting to feel a little absurd. that isn't a knock against anyone in particular, but if they believe they can replace hamilton with a composite of his parts they're mistaken. brady is another one of those clones we like so much and should, with any luck, fit seamlessly into our lineup. he wants to play aggressive and fast, and that's a good start when effort isn't a problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad