TSN: Brad Richards NOT being bought out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Sather can talk all he wants about puck possession and the like, he either was lying or has mistaken Richards as a player who will help in that capacity. Puck possession teams have players who can skate with the puck, players who can break up ice and into the zone. Players who can win a board battle.

The only puck possession ability Richards had was making good reads when he had the puck, that ended last season, so unless that comes back he has no puck possession abilities.

This is a bad gamble.

Maybe, maybe not. I have hard time believing he cratered that hard after a decent season his first year, it's on him to prove otherwise. Withholding judgment until then, however I would have rather seen him bought out and another team given him a chance. But I also understand why the Rangers would give him a vote of confidence.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Theres really no way to win this.

If we DOES have a good season, I fear that they will keep him.. which will KILL the franchise at some point becuase theres no way hes effective for the next 7 years

Bardof425*

Brad Richards will out produce Brassard, so that makes Brassard the 3rd line center.

I think Richie will start centering Nash on the first line and Step will center a checking line with Hags and Cally. Which makes Brass the 2nd line center although Step will get more ES minutes.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Yikes, looks like Stepan's going to be the team's checking center according to AV's 2 line scoring, 2 line checking system. Both Brassard and Richards are terrible defensive centerman. Poor Stepan.

Stepan still should get top 6 minutes. Putting him in a checking line role will ruin him. I think you're underrating Brassard's defensive game, but I agree, he's far from an ideal checking center.

Does this front office actually think this team can win a cup as is with a new coach? That's the only reason to buy out Richards later as opposed to now. Good ****ing luck. I want some of what they're smoking.

Rangers79

Aug 10, 2012
New Jersey
I still don't see how this is going to kill the franchise with the cap going up more, even if they do keep him. Honestly, this is a lose- lose situation. If he was bought out and they brought in a rookie center who didn't play well, the fanbase would complain. If a center was signed, no matter how cheap and he sucked, people would still complain. If Richards stays and sucks, complaining, if he stays and does well, complaining he won't be signed out.

This whole situation is a loss no matter what happened.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Honestly (outside of the injury risk) can you name me a better option for center for us next season on a ONE YEAR CONTRACT? thats about what it amounts to.

Are we winning the cup next year because Brad ****ing Richards is on the team?

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Sather not ready to concede that this signing is a mistake, I guess. Or maybe Dolan said enough is enough with the buyouts.

Either way, LOL. I will be rooting for Richards to bounce back and stay healthy. He should be bought out next summer regardless, but if they didn't buy him out now, who knows if they will next summer? This organization never fails to disappoint/surprise.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Stepan still should get top 6 minutes. Putting him in a checking line role will ruin him. I think you're underrating Brassard's defensive game, but I agree, he's far from an ideal checking center.

Does this front office actually think this team can win a cup as is with a new coach? That's the only reason to buy out Richards later as opposed to now. Good ****ing luck. I want some of what they're smoking.

I still don't see how this is going to kill the franchise with the cap going up more, even if they do keep him. Honestly, this is a lose- lose situation. If he was bought out and they brought in a rookie center who didn't play well, the fanbase would complain. If a center was signed, no matter how cheap and he sucked, people would still complain. If Richards stays and sucks, complaining, if he stays and does well, complaining he won't be signed out.

Sums up every situation ever related to the Rangers.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

Or ya know, buy him out and replace him with a cheaper option that outperforms him. That'd be a win-win.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

You think people are complaining now? Wait and see what happens if we can't buy him out next summer.

Kreider Luvs Goalies

May 31, 2009
I'm happy that he's back for the sole reason that all of you said he had zero chance of coming back.

Constant negativity about every player here

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
so...

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Brassard-Zucc/trade
Hagelin-Stepan-Callahan (shut down line) will still get a ton of minutes
Pyatt-Boyle-Dorsett

shrug?

Kershaw

AV's idea of checking center wants his 3C(Malhotra) to start sub 40% of shifts in the offensive zone. If Stepan takes that role, I doubt he breaks 50 pts. It's classic catering to Richards so he'll put up respectable point totals, despite being the inferior talent at this point in his career. AKA the Sedin effect.

Bardof425*

The problem is you have no recognition whatsoever of a bigger picture, or potential financial impacts down the line.

And you have no idea what any of this will look like at this time next year or years after that. If you read, the question was where does he fit on the roster. I answered that question and get attacked by one of the labotomy twins.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
so...

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Brassard-Zucc/trade
Hagelin-Stepan-Callahan (shut down line) will still get a ton of minutes
Pyatt-Boyle-Dorsett

shrug?

Stepan should be in a top 6 role. That means Brassard would be on the 3rd line. He doesn't belong there either.

*Bob Richards*

Now we have a guy playing center knowing he's going to get bought out the following year.

So much for his mental state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad