TSN: Brad Richards NOT being bought out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers79

Aug 10, 2012
New Jersey
If he was bought out and Briere or Lecavalier was sign it'd still be constant complaining on here. What other center is out there? If either was signed for whatever amount of money and did **** it'd be another old player signing for Slats and the Rangers. It seems to me this is a lose lose situation in the short term or long term, at least from how people would complain on here in general.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
anyone think it would be a good idea to try out brad at LW? hes played it at times in the past and if vigneault has plans of 2 scoring C's and a checking line C, richards doesnt fit in any of those postions anymore.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Ive watched hockey my entire life.

I play hockey.

Brad Richards looked more or less exactly the same last year as he has in all the years prior.

Did he ever skate like pavel bure?

did he ever have a shot like Al Macinnis?

B.R. always was a cerebral player. He's a damn good player when hes on. he had a horrendous start to the year which probably WAS a result of being out of shape and everything spiraled out of control.

most ppl believe BR will go back to being a 70+ point player. if he does, hes worth every bit of his contract. if he doesnt, then you can buy him out after the season is over. If he is injured, well, thats the gamble you take.

has it ever occured to anyone that they are also using this to try to get Vinny L to come over for a few years on the cheap?

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm not sure I 100% agree with the move, but we'll see how he does.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC

I play hockey.

Brad Richards looked more or less exactly the same last year as he has in all the years prior.

B.R. always was a cerebral player. He's a damn good player when hes on. he had a horrendous start to the year which probably WAS a result of being out of shape and everything spiraled out of control.

most ppl believe BR will go back to being a 70+ point player. if he does, hes worth every bit of his contract. if he doesnt, then you can buy him out after the season is over. If he is injured, well, thats the gamble you take.

has it ever occured to anyone that they are also using this to try to get Vinny L to come over for a few years on the cheap?
Exactly. I just didn't understand why people thought it was a foregone conclusion he would be gone. There was a chance of course, but it was no certain thing.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
it prob won't happen, but say the Rangers win the cup with that 70 pts and then he's bought out.. I assume everyone would be kissing Sather's ass if that happened:laugh:

Honestly, I doubt it. The risk of him getting injured is too high to warrant him staying for another year.

We win a Cup short term, but get screwed long term.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Cmon Inferno, thats a total crock and you know it. Forget his physical issues - it was his decision making, once the highlight of his arsenal, that was the biggest disaster last season.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Honestly, I doubt it. The risk of him getting injured is too high to warrant him staying for another year.

We win a Cup short term, but get screwed long term.

Who gives a ****? I'd much rather win 1 Cup than have (however many years of his contract that we'd be stuck with) chances at maybe a Cup.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
All im saying is Brad better step up in a big way next season, because the Rangers showed a lot of faith in him with this move.

Part of the problem with Richie is mental. Now hes got even more pressure on him to perform. Not sure if that's smart.

I wonder if the Rangers are using his contract as potential leverage with all of the free agents that are yet to be resigned, including Lundqvist. This could backfire badly, but if they buy him out next summer anyway, we might look back and say that the deals Step ,MCD, Lundqvist etc. got where slightly lower considering Richards hit still being on the roster at the time.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
anyone think it would be a good idea to try out brad at LW? hes played it at times in the past and if vigneault has plans of 2 scoring C's and a checking line C, richards doesnt fit in any of those postions anymore.

Brad Richards will out produce Brassard, so that makes Brassard the 3rd line center.

Green Blob*

Good. And people laughed when I said he wouldnt be bought out this season.

Kershaw

Yeah... Gomer was not a smart player. Skated like the wind, but very dumb.

Smarts over skill.

Gomez played better as a Ranger than Richards has. The point totals reflect that.

I miss Gomez relative to Richards.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
This is a terrible decision. It could cripple the franchise for the next decade if Richards gets hurt next season. If Richards gets off to a slow start again it will only be magnified because he wasn't bought out.

This is simply the wrong move.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008

I play hockey.

i thought that as well. It should be fine. It'll all work out and Brad will have a great year next year.

Salary cap is going up next year:

http://snyrangersblog.com/rangers/note-the-2014-15-salary-cap-is-expected-to-rise/

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Honestly I think it also really matters that they are trying to do everything possible to win this year to get Hank to resign.

Not a fan of that strategy but I understand it at least...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad