Oct 13, 2006
Ron%20Swanson%20throws%20out%20his%20computer.gif

Perfect.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
If he gets a small injury, technically he can't be bought out... unless he goes the Drury route. I posted this a while ago. Wouldn't it be better for him financially if he allows a buyout if he has an injury that's small enough to deal with? Obviously this wouldn't happen if it's a career-ending injury, but if it's small, there's nothing to worry about.

I'm a fan of this.

What Drury route? The CBA prevents an injured player from being bought out. Doesn't matter how small. The PA will never allow it.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
would buying richards out in 2017 or 2018 if hes just so **** he cant play anymore be a way around recapture before he retires? u'd still take the buyout cap hit but it would be 6m for 2 seasons instead of an astronomical 15m hit or so if he retires before the end of his contract.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Honestly (outside of the injury risk) can you name me a better option for center for us next season on a ONE YEAR CONTRACT? thats about what it amounts to.

Rangers79

Aug 10, 2012
New Jersey
During the regular season yes. Will count in the summer, hampering the ability to make trade/FA moves then.

AH alright. Has anything ever hampered Glen Sather? I'm not so worried and doom and gloom about it. Maybe because I don't take 1 year of ****tyness as an example of a career. Hell he even said it himself that he messed up, made a kot of bad choices coming into this season, didn't work out, started out injured. I'll give Richards the benefit of the doubt here and give him one more year.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
A couple of my points made a few weeks ago that I think are relevant:

Re-sign Eminger for his current 750k. Hagelin gets a 2 year 2.1 million contract. Zuccarello a 2 year 1.85 million contract.

If you don't sign Clowe, you're left with nearly 9.5 million for Stepan and McDonagh. That's enough to keep Richards and sign both Stepan and McDonagh to long term contracts.

I think the real decision management is thinking about right now is whether they'd rather have Clowe or Richards. I think they're leaning towards keeping Richards, myself, seeing how he'd do under a new season, new PP coach and given that our center depth isn't exactly world class right now. Brassard is no lock for a top 6 role.

I don't understand all the hooplah about Richards and Clowe being slow. Did you guys never see them play before? They were never fast. Always on the below average side in terms of skating. The fact that they produced is a testament to their abilities on other sides of the game.

Richards was crucified this season because he was slightly slower and he admitted himself he wasn't prepared for this season, both physically and emotionally, but mainly because he didn't produce like he usually did. He was usually a minus player in his career because his bread and butter is the power play. This year, despite being a plus player, I saw somebody who had lost his confidence and was second guessing his every move because of it. His less than top notch conditioning certainly didn't help.

Stepan took a step forward this season because his speed got a teensy bit better and he played with confidence. For those who didn't notice, he looks like a Brad Richards in his 20's. Some differences obviously exist. RH shot, not as good of a slapper, better wrister and much better two-way player, not as good on the PP, but all in all, a very similar player in the offensive zone.

If Richards can regather his confidence, and I believe he will, I predict that he will put up 75+ points next season provided we have a functional PP and he stays healthy. All while being his usual sloppy footed self.

I remember Richards' exit interview where he said he didn't sign to play here for 1.5 years.

I feel the front office thinks the same way. If he has an excellent year next year, I also think they won't buy him out at all, mistake though it may be.

You give this team a functional PP and suddenly he has 80+ points last year and would have been on a similar pace this year.

He looked awful this year. I don't think he's declined as much as it looked.

Not the least bit surprised by this.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
so we essentially will have the same team though, minus a trade of some sort. Thats the downfall.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
This makes no sense. Even if he rebounds to a respectable 70+ point level, he'll inevitably be bought out next season anyway (assuming there's no injury to him... which would suck).

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
So how long into the season before people realize this is a mistake?

If Richards rebounds and has a great season I will eat crow. I doubt that happening.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
This makes no sense. Even if he rebounds to a respectable 70+ point level, he'll inevitably be bought out next season anyway (assuming there's no injury to him... which would suck).

it prob won't happen, but say the Rangers win the cup with that 70 pts and then he's bought out.. I assume everyone would be kissing Sather's ass if that happened:laugh:

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
Honestly (outside of the injury risk) can you name me a better option for center for us next season on a ONE YEAR CONTRACT? thats about what it amounts to.

You can't negate the injury risk because that is a huge part of the equation.

I would rather buy him out and then deal a draft pick (conditional one, too) for Bolland who has a year remaining. An actual two-way centerman who fits with our needs.

Kershaw

Had so much hope for this offseason, and it came crashing down in a matter of seconds.

Meh. It's not like Sather would've done anything with that cap space. Maybe sign Lecavalier to a 8x8 contract.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Anyone who has ever played hockey could see it clearly. Brad Richards is FINISHED. He had NOTHING last year. No legs, nothing. The lockout was an excuse.

Very disappointed in the organization right now. Another year of BEAVER!!!!!!!! ****!

Ive watched hockey my entire life.

I play hockey.

Brad Richards looked more or less exactly the same last year as he has in all the years prior.

Did he ever skate like pavel bure?

did he ever have a shot like Al Macinnis?

B.R. always was a cerebral player. He's a damn good player when hes on. he had a horrendous start to the year which probably WAS a result of being out of shape and everything spiraled out of control.

most ppl believe BR will go back to being a 70+ point player. if he does, hes worth every bit of his contract. if he doesnt, then you can buy him out after the season is over. If he is injured, well, thats the gamble you take.

has it ever occured to anyone that they are also using this to try to get Vinny L to come over for a few years on the cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad