TSN: Brad Richards NOT being bought out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Oh goodie. We get to watch another year of him getting spoonfed premium icetime he doesn't deserve while constantly making costly turnovers and getting beaten to and knocked off pucks. Plus, we have the added bonus that he probably keeps Lindberg from getting a legit shot out of camp this year.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Gomez played better as a Ranger than Richards has. The point totals reflect that.

I miss Gomez relative to Richards.

you just said in a recent post, you cant just look at stats...

oh wait, that doesn't support your latest asinine argument.

i'm sorry. resume.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
I'm a fan of it. Give him another season with a new coach.

The folks shaking their heads will suddenly "always been in favor of keeping him" if he even remotely produces

Kershaw

you just said in a recent post, you can just look at stats...

oh wait, that doesn't support your latest asinine argument.

i'm sorry. resume.

You can look at whatever stat out there you want. Gomez was a better player than Richards. Which is saying quite something on behalf of Brad Richards.

Bardof425*

Moronic. Where does he even fit on the roster? Brassard to LW, I guess? :shakehead

Right now down the middle

Richie
Step
Brass
Boyle

After trades

Richie
Brass
Step
Miller/lindberg

What's the problem?

Rangers79

Aug 10, 2012
New Jersey
With cap going up after this season things should be fine anyhow. Plus, who knows, maybe he's getting traded, maybe some team can take the cap and years. If we can speculate injury, i'll speculate trade just to throw a hat into the ring.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Why am I not surprised? This is like Sather is sticking it to everyone who said the team had to/should buy Richards out. Unless there is something going on no one knows about, this is not the thing to do. Sather is probably snickering at everyone now, saying "go bleep yourselves".

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
Lecavalier would undoubtedly be aware that Richards is only going to be here for 1 more year right?

I just think the odds are stacked against Richards re-discovering his game. The fact that some are happy that this prevents Sather from making a terrible UFA signing says alot.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Not a good move for Brassard. Brassard is a playmaker. Who's he going to pass it to on the third line?

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Ive watched hockey my entire life.

I play hockey.

Brad Richards looked more or less exactly the same last year as he has in all the years prior.

Did he ever skate like pavel bure?

did he ever have a shot like Al Macinnis?

B.R. always was a cerebral player. He's a damn good player when hes on. he had a horrendous start to the year which probably WAS a result of being out of shape and everything spiraled out of control.

most ppl believe BR will go back to being a 70+ point player. if he does, hes worth every bit of his contract. if he doesnt, then you can buy him out after the season is over. If he is injured, well, thats the gamble you take.

has it ever occured to anyone that they are also using this to try to get Vinny L to come over for a few years on the cheap?

Check out this video.

Compare the player in this video, with the player we had last year. Its night and day.

CLEAR AS DAY.

Brad Richards is on the decline, and his legs were complete mush last season. That, and his mental weakness that caused him to make so many costly, dumb mistakes. I don't understand why more people don't see how bad he really was.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I despise Richards likely more then any Ranger in recent memory.

But I'd rather have him around this season and buy him out next summer. Yes there is a risk of injury, but I think we'll be fine.

Wait, I forgot this organization is cursed and nothing ever goes right for us. Damnit Sather. :laugh:

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Sather can talk all he wants about puck possession and the like, he either was lying or has mistaken Richards as a player who will help in that capacity. Puck possession teams have players who can skate with the puck, players who can break up ice and into the zone. Players who can win a board battle.

The only puck possession ability Richards had was making good reads when he had the puck, that ended last season, so unless that comes back he has no puck possession abilities.

This is a bad gamble.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
You can look at whatever stat out there you want. Gomez was a better player than Richards. Which is saying quite something on behalf of Brad Richards.

lol, that's horsesh#t and you know it.

haha you're funny guy. 31 has nothing on you

Kershaw

Yikes, looks like Stepan's going to be the team's checking center according to AV's 2 line scoring, 2 line checking system. Both Brassard and Richards are terrible defensive centerman. Poor Stepan.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Who gives a ****? I'd much rather win 1 Cup than have (however many years of his contract that we'd be stuck with) chances at maybe a Cup.

Of course, but it would suck in the long term if we're carrying a bunch of dead cap space and we have trouble re-signing players we want, no?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
has it ever occured to anyone that they are also using this to try to get Vinny L to come over for a few years on the cheap?

With what money? You're talking 3rd liner money if you're going to fit him and still maintain any sort of cap flexibility.

Retaining Richards to add VL4 is a typical short-sighted Glen Sather move.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I'm guessing no buyout mean no Lecavalier for those who were interested.

I'm also guessing AV will be able to get more out of Richards.

I'm also guessing Sather will surprise us all again one day and pull a crazy Scott Gomez trade with Richards on someone :D Probably Calgary the way their GM is performing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad