TSN: Brad Richards NOT being bought out

Status
Not open for further replies.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Of all the terrible decisions that Sather has made as GM of the Rangers, not using a compliance buyout on Richards this summer might be the worst.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Of all the terrible decisions that Sather has made as GM of the Rangers, not using a compliance buyout on Richards this summer might be the worst.

No one knows the future. Anything is possible--from Richards helping the Rangers win a Stanley Cup to him falling down and blowing out his ACL during the last game of the season. I think most Ranger fans would prefer the former.:nod:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
6.7M.

Until 2020.

Declining player.

3rd highest player on our team.

Cannot be traded due to cap recapture penalty.

Is a lock to retire before his contract is up.

Scratched in favor of Newbury, during the 2 most important games of the year.

Do you know what Nash, Richards, Dorsett, and Staal all have in common? They're the only current Rangers who are signed through the next two seasons. Pretty much our entire team will need a new contract after this and next season.

You don't think keeping Richards and his awful contract will handicap our team much? :facepalm:

Do you really believe in that, or are you just trying to have a different and unique opinion from everyone?

I would move Richards, even if this was a cap-free league. Without knowing who his replacement will be. Or how much he'll cost.

That's how ****ing worthless Richards has become. He couldn't click with either Nash or Gaborik. His playmaking ability has turned to garbage. He's slow as molasses, even though he's clearly trying to skate hard. I'm not sure what happened to his decision making ability. He's not reading plays right. He's too indecisive or predictable with the puck. He flat out sucks defensively. He's not winning faceoffs.

What purpose does a 6.7M player serve on a team that's starving for help in their top-6? A team that has a plethora of vital players that need to be retained?

Doesn't handicap our team? Seriously?

I can write a trilogy of epic proportions involving the various ways Richards handicaps our team.

Best post of the thread. :handclap:

People who still don't understand the outrage of Sather not buying out Richards, reread the bolded portion of that post until you see it.

And for those who say it doesn't matter about the penalty, the cap is going up....well, so are player salaries!! That's what people don't get. The cap can be 100 million, and the penalty at 6 million will still cost the team a significant asset. Right now that 6 million recapture penalty is a 1st line player (or franchise netminder). In a few years, that recapture penalty could still be a good 2nd liner. That's one hell of a big piece of the team to lose for a guy who will be retired and sitting on his couch.

adam94

BU Terriers
Nov 16, 2011
Long Island
After Briere and Lecavalier, I figured Richards would be bought out for sure. Still so mad about this decision. Way to go, Sather, and good luck bringing back the players who actually help this team win.

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
A big concern I have after providing more thought is, if we are able to make the playoffs, the chances of Richards getting hurt increase. Look at how many guys need surgery and are banged up after each round. We better win the cup! And I would take that if we were saddled with the next 6 years...no matter how unlikely that may seem today ;)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A big concern I have after providing more thought is, if we are able to make the playoffs, the chances of Richards getting hurt increase. Look at how many guys need surgery and are banged up after each round. We better win the cup! And I would take that if we were saddled with the next 6 years...no matter how unlikely that may seem today ;)

Richards should enroll in Gary Roberts summer boot camp because he was playing like he was gassed at the end. He couldn't keep up. Maybe that would help--maybe not. After playing somewhere around 50 games last year you would have thought he'd have more energy. If it's anything like last year by the time 82 regular season games are done we'll have a good idea of just how much he has left in the tank and judging by last year it wouldn't surprise me that by season's end we'll see Stepan as No. 1, Brassard as No. 2 and Richards working his way down to the 4th line or benched. All I can say is I hope Lindberg is ready to take his spot with Boyle taking the other. He'll have nowhere to go but out.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
This was by far the easiest business / gm move in history and Sather still manages to mess it up. You know this is going to bite us in the ass. When was the last time the rangers took a gamble this big and it paid off?

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
This was by far the easiest business / gm move in history and Sather still manages to mess it up. You know this is going to bite us in the ass. When was the last time the rangers took a gamble this big and it paid off?
I agree and would have wholeheartedly supported a buyout of one of the most overhyped players in my lifetime.
James Dolan probably thought otherwise though...
Figure he reasons somewhat like that:
Richards got 24 million for 2 seasons, lets first make him play a 3rd year for 33 million (total). 11 million per year. Highest salary in the league. Horrible signing. Then we will use the remaining compliance buyout on Richards after this season with 27 million left - that equates to 18 million paid out over the next 12 years (or 1,5 million per year). So Richards essentially cost the organization 51 million for 3 years of services. 17 million per year. Nice payday Bucktooth Beaver. The numbers were simply too high to grasp or swallow by Dolan if he was bought out now. He would then get 24 million paid out over 14 years plus the 24 million he already has cashed in. 24 million per year for 2 seasons. Anybody think this might have played in as well when Torts got canned?

I think this is the reasoning behind this strictly made business decision and some of Dolans accountants played their part screaming to play him another year. These guys know nothing about hockey though...or the intangible consequences of this entire ordeal. They see him (Richhards) as the cattle on the field eating the grass and they are helping out the rancher, in this case Dolan.

The only problem is that if Richards gets injured and cannot be bought out - the manure hits the fan in a big way and the team is capcrippled for years to come. Disaster!!! They are taking a very big chance here. But I see "the reason" behind it. Crazy stuff! I think Richards will come out pretty eager to prove his worth on the freeagent market next season - which could get scary if his legs are really gone making him all the more injury prone. This does not bode well...

Last edited:

OrbitalDynamics

#Unsurprised
May 22, 2008
Stalag Luft JFK
We're all speculating about trades,picks and improving the offense, you know what is going to happen don't you?

Sather will get a goon.Watch.

Brashear,Boogard,Rupp,_____.

Parros available this year? :facepalm:

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I want to turn this conversation a bit and change the focus. Agreed, this is a horrible decision; no matter how you cut it or look it at, it is simply cannot be defended.

Seriously then, why did the Ranger management team make it? They certainly knew the cap implications, injury risk factor, BR's declining production and age, and play so poor that it was an "organizational decision" not to dress him in the most important games of the year.

Why?

I don't want to hear that Sather was stupid. He is not "stupid." I am not a Sather fan and wanted him gone long ago, but I cannot say that a man so well-respected, who has lasted so long, is "stupid" or "dumb." That response just doesn't cut it.

I also don't want to hear that Dolan made him keep him. That would be totally out of character for everything we have heard about the Dolan/Sather relationship. Dolan was the man, after all, who was OK with burying Redden in the minors. One way or another, BR was going to get his money: maybe not as much if he bought out as opposed to playing but still a significant amount.

Why then?

The only answer I can come up that makes any sense is that AV, the coach that you have just entrusted the team to for the next 5 years wanted to keep him and made a strong case for doing so. This wasn't a "new" coach in his first job but an experienced, successful coach with a long track record of success that you were bringing in. You need to value his input and give him some say in decision making. You need to trust his judgement to a large degree. Looking at this team and knowing of BR's reputation, I can certainly see AV saying to Sather that he would like to keep him for at least one more year.

Nothing else seems logical to me. I'm trying to look at this rationally and remove the venom from the situation. We may disagree with many of the moves that the front office has made (there have certainly been some poor ones), but we cannot say decisions are made from stupidity. There was certainly a lot of discussion here. The decision wasn't made in a vacume: all the ramifications were certainly considered. The decision was make to keep BR. The big question is why: simply say that Sather was inept or stupid or ignorant, just does not cut it.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
I want to turn this conversation a bit and change the focus. Agreed, this is a horrible decision; no matter how you cut it or look it at, it is simply cannot be defended.

Seriously then, why did the Ranger management team make it? They certainly knew the cap implications, injury risk factor, BR's declining production and age, and play so poor that it was an "organizational decision" not to dress him in the most important games of the year.

Why?

I don't want to hear that Sather was stupid. He is not "stupid." I am not a Sather fan and wanted him gone long ago, but I cannot say that a man so well-respected, who has lasted so long, is "stupid" or "dumb." That response just doesn't cut it.

I also don't want to hear that Dolan made him keep him. That would be totally out of character for everything we have heard about the Dolan/Sather relationship. Dolan was the man, after all, who was OK with burying Redden in the minors. One way or another, BR was going to get his money: maybe not as much if he bought out as opposed to playing but still a significant amount.

Why then?

The only answer I can come up that makes any sense is that AV, the coach that you have just entrusted the team to for the next 5 years wanted to keep him and made a strong case for doing so. This wasn't a "new" coach in his first job but an experienced, successful coach with a long track record of success that you were bringing in. You need to value his input and give him some say in decision making. You need to trust his judgement to a large degree. Looking at this team and knowing of BR's reputation, I can certainly see AV saying to Sather that he would like to keep him for at least one more year.

Nothing else seems logical to me. I'm trying to look at this rationally and remove the venom from the situation. We may disagree with many of the moves that the front office has made (there have certainly been some poor ones), but we cannot say decisions are made from stupidity. There was certainly a lot of discussion here. The decision wasn't made in a vacume: all the ramifications were certainly considered. The decision was make to keep BR. The big question is why: simply say that Sather was inept or stupid or ignorant, just does not cut it.

AV said he would have little impact on the BR decisions. So if we take him at his word the ONLY other reasoning that I can see is inter-organizational politics.

This has all the makings of a cap disaster as well as lockeroom blow up. Richards got benched during the playoffs, his responsibility removed, and he essentially slept through the season. Now his huge contract is going to limit what some of the other guys get paid, he is also going to be the highest paid ranger by far add to this an almost 100 percent garauntee that he is gone after next season.

Bad bad bad. I honestly would like to know what the positives NYR are seeing when they weighed the buyout. I see nothing but a body to fill a slot on the roster.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's a risk, for sure. There's upside to it if Richards flourishes under Vigneault. I'm not sold on that being any real possibility, and obviously if he gets hurt then we're in immense trouble. Let's all just hold our breath and hope it works out.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Why?

Why then?

If true, and I dont think it is, thats a terrible start to AV's career here.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
It's a risk, for sure. There's upside to it if Richards flourishes under Vigneault. I'm not sold on that being any real possibility, and obviously if he gets hurt then we're in immense trouble. Let's all just hold our breath and hope it works out.

Upside for less than 1 year? Even if Richards plays well, its not a really favorable situation for this team to grow together.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Upside for less than 1 year? Even if Richards plays well, its not a really favorable situation for this team to grow together.

Well, if the organization plans on competing for a Cup this year then there is upside. If he can somehow get back to form then that's a boon for the team.

My hope is that we're just gambling that we can get one good year out of him before we send him packing. I mean, we can't seriously be considering letting him play out his full contract, right?

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
another point

lets for a moment forget about Richards and how bad he was for the past 2 seasons.

How can anyone justify to me us not buying him out when these players will be UFA on July 5:

Nathan Horton - Already said he will become UFA. He is only 28, Richards is 33! Horton is also a scoring winger, which is what we really need. We already have Brassard, Stepan, Miller and Boyle at Center.

Lecavalier - Same age as Richards but much more physical and has more left in the tank. Would also cost less, I doubt he gets anything close to $6.6

Ribeiro - Same age as Richards but coming off a great point per game season! Way better than Richards at this point in time, and again should not cost $6.6 even as a UFA.

Ryder - also 33, but coming off a strong 16 goal season and is again a winger, which is what we need. Also very good on the PP. Again will be cheaper than $6.6, not even close to that.

Boyes - 2 years younger than Richards. Only got paid $1 mill last season so again wont come close to $6.6

Derek Roy - Only 30, still has some good years left in him. Again wont come close to $6.6

There are other UFAs I like, but these stand out to me the most.

You can argue with me about who you like and don't like from this group. However, I'm pretty sure all of you will agree that at least half of these players are better and cheaper (and often younger) options than Brad Richards! Its not even a debate!

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
We're all speculating about trades,picks and improving the offense, you know what is going to happen don't you?

Sather will get a goon.Watch.

Brashear,Boogard,Rupp,_____.

Parros available this year? :facepalm:

The funniest part will be the reactions of the usual suspects telling us that we needed more toughness and that it was a great move.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The funniest part will be the reactions of the usual suspects telling us that we needed more toughness and that it was a great move.

Rangers are a soft team. It's not the tough guys but the tough guys that can't play that's the problem. Unfortunately a guy like Prust is going to get a big contract after he proves he can play that's not all that commensurate with his point production. But he's exactly the kind of player that is so hard to find. Anyway McIlrath should be around one of these days.

MPJohnny5

Jul 16, 2007

It very much has the potential I agree. The bottom line is this they made a decision and felt Richards is worth giving one more shot. ITs a HUGE risk if it doesn't work out and he gets hurt and were stuck with his cap hit and cant buy him out next year. But Richards is a competitor and Im anxious to see with a full season of training and new coach will do. You have to remember half these guys weren't planning on playing last season with the lockout ( not saying thats right or wrong you should prepare anyways.)

But if Management feels theres a more certain chance Marc walks in 2 years to Carolina which I feel is the case, then I think this changed alot. You will see Staal getting dealt to highest bidder today at the draft. And in the end it will likely be Carolina upping there ante. There 5th which is going to be a high end prospect plus a low cap hit winger/ D. We already saw this team can make a push even without Staal weve been without him enough the past year and a half with all his injures. You sell now before he walks leaving us the space to keep all our RFAs plus Richards for one more year....

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
lets for a moment forget about Richards and how bad he was for the past 2 seasons.

How can anyone justify to me us not buying him out when these players will be UFA on July 5:

Nathan Horton - Already said he will become UFA. He is only 28, Richards is 33! Horton is also a scoring winger, which is what we really need. We already have Brassard, Stepan, Miller and Boyle at Center.

Lecavalier - Same age as Richards but much more physical and has more left in the tank. Would also cost less, I doubt he gets anything close to $6.6

Ribeiro - Same age as Richards but coming off a great point per game season! Way better than Richards at this point in time, and again should not cost $6.6 even as a UFA.

Ryder - also 33, but coming off a strong 16 goal season and is again a winger, which is what we need. Also very good on the PP. Again will be cheaper than $6.6, not even close to that.

Boyes - 2 years younger than Richards. Only got paid $1 mill last season so again wont come close to $6.6

Derek Roy - Only 30, still has some good years left in him. Again wont come close to $6.6

You can argue with me about who you like and don't like from this group. However, I'm pretty sure all of you will agree that at least half of these players are better and cheaper (and often younger) options than Brad Richards! Its not even a debate!

Right down the line.. Overpaid.. and none of them will take a short term deal, and I'm willing to bet Richards next year outproduces all of them.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Why do Ranger fans feel the need to covet crap to replace the crap we have via the free agent market?

Pocket the cap space - flexibility - wait for the right opportunity to come along that matches the vision* for this team going forward.

*this assumes there is a longterm vision for roster construction and team philosophy, which there isn't/hasn't seemed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad