TSN: Brad Richards NOT being bought out

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
It is really fascinating how so many are missing this. The league course corrected the back diving contracts that were handed out by making sure the cap recapture was in the new CBA. It is a guillotine over the head of every team that has a player with one of these contracts. They are giving teams a chance to take their head out from under the guillotine. We are saying " No Thanks" we'll stay on the chopping block.

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone, there is no decision here, he needs to be bought out.

Why can't we just do the intelligent thing for once. Buy out Richards. Re-sign our RFA's. Then sit back with our cap space and see if any interesting trades fall into our lap since there are a lot of desperate teams out there with the cap dropping so drastically. We don't have to immediately put the freed up cap space into the UFA market. Believe it or not that isn't mandatory. Even though it appears to be with the Rangers.

I would not be surprised at all to see him have a decent year point wise, whether it's as a 3C, LW, or whatever; I would also not be surprised to see him injured, just because we had the chance to remove that risk, and passed on a get-out-of-jail-free card.

TomLaidlaw

Jan 4, 2007
Transylvania
More quick fixes for the Rangers to try and win a cup as fast as possible. Rangers could buy out Richards then trade most of the team! woo!

I think your missing the point. We don't have to make a trade. If something falls in our lap we would have the cap flexibility to pounce. This is going to be a unique off season with the buyouts and teams being forced into decisions with the cap dropping.

The people who are arguing for the buyout are actually looking out for the long term health of the team. Keeping Richards is short sighted.

Instead of rolling the dice on Richards regaining his form and not getting injured. Why don't we roll the dice on our youth. See if Stepan and Brassard can handle the #1 and #2 Center spots. Let Miller/Lindberg/Boyle round out the #3/#4 center roles. That is something I could get behind.

Rangers79

Aug 10, 2012
New Jersey
I think your missing the point. We don't have to make a trade. If something falls in our lap we would have the cap flexibility to pounce. This is going to be a unique off season with the buyouts and teams being forced into decisions with the cap dropping.

The people who are arguing for the buyout are actually looking out for the long term health of the team. Keeping Richards is short sighted.

Instead of rolling the dice on Richards regaining his form and not getting injured. Why don't we roll the dice on our youth. See if Stepan and Brassard can handle the #1 and #2 Center spots. Let Miller/Lindberg/Boyle round out the #3/#4 center roles. That is something I could get behind.

Look, I wanted Richards to be bought out but I think people are getting too personally offended by him not being bought out. I see your points on it but I understand why he isn't being bought out. Maybe in the end it'll be a really dumb move but I can also see why they want to keep him. After this season the cap goes up and if he gets to 60+ points the deal isn't so bad. I honestly don't feel like it handicaps the Rangers as much as people feel it is.

Speculating but maybe the Rangers already have a good idea of what their RFA's are at, maybe they have a trade in place involving Richards. This is the Rangers we're talking about, there are always things going on behind the scenes. I'd rather ride it out and see how it goes instead of jumping off the hill and feeling like the Rangers just killed themselves.

TomLaidlaw

Jan 4, 2007
Transylvania
Look, I wanted Richards to be bought out but I think people are getting too personally offended by him not being bought out. I see your points on it but I understand why he isn't being bought out. Maybe in the end it'll be a really dumb move but I can also see why they want to keep him. After this season the cap goes up and if he gets to 60+ points the deal isn't so bad. I honestly don't feel like it handicaps the Rangers as much as people feel it is.

Speculating but maybe the Rangers already have a good idea of what their RFA's are at, maybe they have a trade in place involving Richards. This is the Rangers we're talking about, there are always things going on behind the scenes. I'd rather ride it out and see how it goes instead of jumping off the hill and feeling like the Rangers just killed themselves.

Even though I disagree with it, I admire your optimism. This team has stomach punched me so many times over the years that there is very little of that left in me.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Fine with this move.

We go for it with Richards, buy him out at the end of the year.

If we're not winning the cup as constructed we need to retool on the fly, get another impact player to play with Stepan while injecting Fasth and Lindberg into the lineup.

Hopefully we can do that without losing Hank's best years.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Fine with this move.

We go for it with Richards, buy him out at the end of the year.

If we're not winning the cup as constructed we need to retool on the fly, get another impact player to play with Stepan while injecting Fasth and Lindberg into the lineup.

Hopefully we can do that without losing Hank's best years.

That would be hit or miss with Mr GM we have now.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Cause if he ends up retiring at the end of the deal, the cap hit is on us.

If we keep him for the season, we can still buy him out after it.

Or we could just buy him out now.

If we don't plan on buying him out, he can still do that anyway. I was under the impression that we blow it completely and don't buy him out next year, sorry.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
Please, take Richards out of our 11-12 lineup, we would have been 7-8th, 1st round exit.
Please, with you. The Rangers did the bulk of their work November-February, getting off to a so-so start in October (4-3-3) and faltering going into the playoffs in March/April (11-9-1). So the #1 seed was clearly earned in the middle bulk of the season where the Rangers went 36-12-3. Well, in those 51 games where the #1 seed was earned, Brad Richards put up 33 points. Not exactly the numbers of a guy propelling an 8th seed to #1 seed glory. With those types of numbers, looks like they Rangers could have sewn up the #1 seed with an average #2 Center in his place instead.

For Brad's sake, it's worth mentioning after 61 games of massively disappointing play, Brad puts together a great stretch in the final 21 games, putting up 24 points! Now the Rangers only go 11-9-1 in that stretch, but maybe they do even worse without those points. So good on Brad for that. Seriously. But the bottom line is, he was average for 60 games, great for 20, and come playoffs, he looked good in about half of those, another 10 games.* So 30 out of 100 games Brad Richards looked like the guy they paid for. He is not the man who propelled the Rangers to success. And this is also not the guy we hope returns, because that guy was a colossal disappointment 70% of the time. And that was two years ago, already, and probably the best version of Brad Richards we'll ever see.

So in conclusion, **** the Rangers for keeping this guy.

*Side note, I don't understand how Brad's 15 points in 20 games is clutch, and Scott Gomez putting up 11 points in 10 games for us a few years before is completely forgotten. Granted, Brad was part of the more memorable run, but if we're talking numbers here, Gomez wasn't only better than Richards in their respective first year in the regular season (70 points to 66), he was also better in the playoffs too. Gomez also had a better second year here. Not saying I miss Gomez, or anything, but I don't think there is any question he was a better Ranger than Brad Richards. And if his decline is any indication, you don't come back from that.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

I honestly don't feel like it handicaps the Rangers as much as people feel it is.

6.7M.

Until 2020.

Declining player.

3rd highest player on our team.

Cannot be traded due to cap recapture penalty.

Is a lock to retire before his contract is up.

Scratched in favor of Newbury, during the 2 most important games of the year.

Do you know what Nash, Richards, Dorsett, and Staal all have in common? They're the only current Rangers who are signed through the next two seasons. Pretty much our entire team will need a new contract after this and next season.

You don't think keeping Richards and his awful contract will handicap our team much? :facepalm:

Do you really believe in that, or are you just trying to have a different and unique opinion from everyone?

I would move Richards, even if this was a cap-free league. Without knowing who his replacement will be. Or how much he'll cost.

That's how ****ing worthless Richards has become. He couldn't click with either Nash or Gaborik. His playmaking ability has turned to garbage. He's slow as molasses, even though he's clearly trying to skate hard. I'm not sure what happened to his decision making ability. He's not reading plays right. He's too indecisive or predictable with the puck. He flat out sucks defensively. He's not winning faceoffs.

What purpose does a 6.7M player serve on a team that's starving for help in their top-6? A team that has a plethora of vital players that need to be retained?

Doesn't handicap our team? Seriously?

I can write a trilogy of epic proportions involving the various ways Richards handicaps our team.

Rangers79

Aug 10, 2012
New Jersey
6.7M.

Until 2020.

Declining player.

3rd highest player on our team.

Cannot be traded due to cap recapture penalty.

Is a lock to retire before his contract is up.

Scratched in favor of Newbury, during the 2 most important games of the year.

Do you know what Nash, Richards, Dorsett, and Staal all have in common? They're the only current Rangers who are signed through the next two seasons. Pretty much our entire team will need a new contract after this and next season.

You don't think keeping Richards and his awful contract will handicap our team much? :facepalm:

Do you really believe in that, or are you just trying to have a different and unique opinion from everyone?

I would move Richards, even if this was a cap-free league. Without knowing who his replacement will be. Or how much he'll cost.

That's how ****ing worthless Richards has become. He couldn't click with either Nash or Gaborik. His playmaking ability has turned to garbage. He's slow as molasses, even though he's clearly trying to skate hard. I'm not sure what happened to his decision making ability. He's not reading plays right. He's too indecisive or predictable with the puck. He flat out sucks defensively. He's not winning faceoffs.

What purpose does a 6.7M player serve on a team that's starving for help in their top-6? A team that has a plethora of vital players that need to be retained?

Doesn't handicap our team? Seriously?

I can write a trilogy of epic proportions involving the various ways Richards handicaps our team.

Like I already said, I understand those points, your restating them doesn't really do much. Whatever happens will happen. I don't care who's right about it. Him being a Ranger or being bought out affects me in 0 ways. You want it to piss you off? Go ahead, but it doesn't bother me.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Its interesting to see the apathy and acceptance start to evolve after such an egregious blunder by this organization.

This decision is a microcosm of Sather's entire tenure here. It lacks vision and foresight, and it ****s up everything from team building/roster management to financials. The man is a menace.

Last edited:

Rangers79

Aug 10, 2012
New Jersey
Its interesting to see the apathy and acceptance start to evolve after such an egregious blunder by this organization.

This decision is a microcosm of Sather's entire tenure here. It lacks vision and foresight, and it ****s up everything from tea building/roster management to financials. The man is a menace.

It may go up to Dolan saying "I let you spend what you wanted on this one, you're keeping him".

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Like I already said, I understand those points, your restating them doesn't really do much. Whatever happens will happen. I don't care who's right about it. Him being a Ranger or being bought out affects me in 0 ways. You want it to piss you off? Go ahead, but it doesn't bother me.

You understand those points, yet you still believe Richards doesn't handicap our team much. I'm, just, flabbergasted anyone would think that after what we've seen the last two season's out of Richards, combined with a number of critical changes in the new CBA.

Rangers79

Aug 10, 2012
New Jersey
You understand those points, yet you still believe Richards doesn't handicap our team much. I'm, just, flabbergasted anyone would think that after what we've seen the last two season's out of Richards, combined with a number of critical changes in the new CBA.

1st season he was fine, did his typical stuff. Last season was a half a year where he openly admitted he messed up on training, didn't play, didn't do much. I'm willing to give the guy 1 year. And you can be flabbergasted all you like. I don't work for the Rangers and I highly doubt you do. My opinion can be wrong and it may very well be and so can yours. Don't know what's going on behind the scenes so I won't be angry over what I can't control.

But hell, I did work for a pro hockey team so I'll let you know this at least. Owners can be *****es with this stuff. Sather may want to buy him out but is being told no by Dolan. Sather has made a lot of high signings and Dolan is probably pissed this happened again. Not much you can do if your owner refuses you to do it.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

This decision is a microcosm of Sather's entire tenure here. It lacks vision and foresight, and it ****s up everything from team building/roster management to financials. The man is a menace.

So true. It's why many of us have given up hope. We've actually been molded to accept those blunders for what they are.

Hell, some of us have been brainwashed into passionately agreeing with those decisions.

Keeping Richards isn't only acceptable, it's something we should happily embrace! The potential good that can come out of retaining him clearly outweighs the bad!

It may go up to Dolan saying "I let you spend what you wanted on this one, you're keeping him".

Easy to counter.

Keeping Richards will potentially cost you more money than cutting our ties with him now. He tricked us, James. He said he would play as a 6.7M dollar player until 40. Last time though. I won't screw up again. Promise. K? Smoke?

Rangers79

Aug 10, 2012
New Jersey
So true. It's why many of us have given up hope. We've actually been molded to accept those blunders for what they are.

Hell, some of us have been brainwashed into passionately agreeing with those decisions.

Keeping Richards isn't only acceptable, it's something we should happily embrace! The potential good that can come out of retaining him clearly outweighs the bad!

Easy to counter.

Keeping Richards will potentially cost you more money than cutting our ties with him now. He tricked us, James. He said he would play as a 6.7M dollar player until 40. Last time though. I won't screw up again. Promise. K? Smoke?

If you think they haven't talked about every possible out come with this I can assure you that you're dead wrong. Sather may make mistakes but I'm sure they know what this could do. And explaining this to Dolan doesn't mean he'll listen, camon now. Hell, if this handicaps the team that much, good. Let it handicap the team. Let Lundqvist walk if he wants 9 million dollars, hell let Callahan walk if he wants more than 5 million. Not like the Rangers have won anything with em anyway. Or hell, maybe it won't do anything and things will be fine. Maybe the Rangers should stop looking for other teams to produce talent. Rangers could do with a few years of bottom finishes to finally get some real talent on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad