Brad Marchand

Status
Not open for further replies.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Honestly, I wouldn't be upset if we moved Marchand. Try and get something good for him. At this rate, like others have mentioned, his reputation his hurting his team. The reputation calls, and now a reoccurring problem; him vanishing for long stretches of time, and in the PO's. You can use the "he's fighting it" excuse only for so long until it gets to the point where you have to do something about it. Don't get me wrong; when Marchand is on, he's on. But when he's not...he's just a pain in the ass to deal with.

Tough decision for Chiarelli.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Honestly, I wouldn't be upset if we moved Marchand. Try and get something good for him. At this rate, like others have mentioned, his reputation his hurting his team. The reputation calls, and now a reoccurring problem; him vanishing for long stretches of time, and in the PO's. You can use the "he's fighting it" excuse only for so long until it gets to the point where you have to do something about it. Don't get me wrong; when Marchand is on, he's on. But when he's not...he's just a pain in the ass to deal with.

In 2011 he was gold, in 2012 he started off hot and we believed.

There really has not been much since.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010

I agree, this is a tough call, but if Chia thinks Brad has been neutered by the refs that could force his hand. The thing is we can't really afford to give up the little bit of speed that we have.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

as incredibly silly as the face wash penalty when it`s called is, it`s in place, the players know it, and Marchand, knowing that he will rarely get the benefit of the doubt still went ahead and did it.

Looked disinterested the entire series, ya know who didn`t??? Gallagher, and for as much as I can`t stand playing that little SOB, he did what Marchand forgot how to do.

This is now 2 out of the last 3 playoff seasons where Marchand has been irrelevant, and we know how much Chia loves that.

I was in the camp of not moving him, a guy who`s incredibly difficult to replace but....that was before he became a liability and played a selfish game this playoff.

I can accept losing (yep, even to those filthy Habs) but I can`t accept losing being outworked by them, no excuse for his horrific play

Bartkowski took a ton of heat, much deserved, but at the very least, I never once questioned his effort, Marchand......not so much

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I agree, this is a tough call, but if Chia thinks Brad has been neutered by the refs that could force his hand. The thing is we can't really afford to give up the little bit of speed that we have.

Ya but things are going to change. Thornton won't be back, he can be replaced by someone with a better motor. Iggy probably won't be back, so ditto there. If you trade Marchand in a package with one of our spare dmen, you can look for a player with a decent motor.

Chia isn't dumb, if he thinks he lost the series because of mobility issues, he'll draft that and plug that in where he can.

I think there' a real hockey trade to be made with a San Jose type team. I trust Chia, and I think his roster was good enough to win. Team just got beat.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Marchand`s play forces Chia`s hand, not the refs, you can still be an effective, and royal pain in the arse and not get called for penalties<<<<see Gallagher

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Ya but things are going to change. Thornton won't be back, he can be replaced by someone with a better motor. Iggy probably won't be back, so ditto there. If you trade Marchand in a package with one of our spare dmen, you can look for a player with a decent motor.

Chia isn't dumb, if he thinks he lost the series because of mobility issues, he'll draft that and plug that in where he can.

I think there' a real hockey trade to be made with a San Jose type team. I trust Chia, and I think his roster was good enough to win. Team just got beat.

The roster was without a doubt good enough to win. They just didn't play the way they needed to play. The Habs did.

I think it's a tough decision with Marchand, but he's a liability if he isn't lighting up the scoreboard

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The roster was without a doubt good enough to win. They just didn't play the way they needed to play. The Habs did.

I think it's a tough decision with Marchand, but he's a liability if he isn't lighting up the scoreboard

I`ve seen Marchand have solid games even when he`s not lighting it up, problem is, he looked completely disinterested most of this series and the playoffs in general.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010

Personally I think we just beat ourselves with the constant barrage of goalposts and missed nets plus some piss poor officiating in 3 of our home games. But back to Marchand, I have no problem with him getting moved but we cannot become a slower team up front, we need to address the lack of speed.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Marchand`s play forces Chia`s hand, not the refs, you can still be an effective, and royal pain in the arse and not get called for penalties<<<<see Gallagher

I agree with you. But I really dont know if Marchy 'get's it'.

Marchand got called for interference on the goaltender at 6:18 of the first period after he fell into Carey Price after a clear cross-check from Markov, and he got called for unsportsmanlike conduct at 0:07 of the second for snowing Price.

“It’s frustrating,†Marchand said. “But I dug that hole for myself and I’ve got to live with it. It is frustrating at times, but I can’t really do anything about it. If they’re going to call it against me, then they’re going to call it.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...-experience/TxkqdRXAV3z1ikU8zyIr0O/story.html

He can if he realizes that the standard he set for himself is different. Justifiable or not. Turn the dial back a bit and calibrate to get back to the edge but reduce the penalties.

If he doesnt 'get it' ..........................................................

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I`ve seen Marchand have solid games even when he`s not lighting it up, problem is, he looked completely disinterested most of this series and the playoffs in general.

He can have solid games, but his reputation hurts him more than the rest of his game helps him. What offsets that, IMO, is his goal scoring.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Marchand got called for interference on the goaltender at 6:18 of the first period after he fell into Carey Price after a clear cross-check from Markov, and he got called for unsportsmanlike conduct at 0:07 of the second for snowing Price.

“It’s frustrating,†Marchand said. “But I dug that hole for myself and I’ve got to live with it. It is frustrating at times, but I can’t really do anything about it. If they’re going to call it against me, then they’re going to call it.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...-experience/TxkqdRXAV3z1ikU8zyIr0O/story.html

He can if he realizes that the standard he set for himself is different. Justifiable or not. Turn the dial back a bit and calibrate to get back to the edge but reduce the penalties.

If he doesnt 'get it' ..........................................................

Yep, we`ll see if the decision makers think he gets it this summer

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He can have solid games, but his reputation hurts him more than the rest of his game helps him. What offsets that, IMO, is his goal scoring.

That first penalty he was called for was ludicrous, clearly Markov should have gotten it, what is the most frustrating is a fresh sheet of ice to start the 2nd, forget the first and he goes in and snow`s Price

As absolutely silly as that penalty is, it`s there, he knew it, and he couldn`t stop himself from doing it and THAT, is the kind of thing that I think Chia and company will view as someone who`s just not thinking team

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World

But what's he supposed to do in the Markov situation? Not go to the net? Because that's the only way the opposing player ISN'T going to push him into the goalie. For me, they've taken it too far with him to the point where outright legitimate stuff that can end up causing someone to get hurt is being let go. It's just frustrating as hell when in one game we have a player who pushes one of theirs into their goalie, we get called, then turn around in another game and one of ours gets cross checked into their goalie and again, we get called. Which is it? Are we the offender in the first situation or the 2nd? It can't be both ways. But yet it is. I wouldn't be surprised if Chara has a couple fractures in his hand or wrist from the number of freaking outright full slashes he took last night with no calls too.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
That first penalty he was called for was ludicrous, clearly Markov should have gotten it, what is the most frustrating is a fresh sheet of ice to start the 2nd, forget the first and he goes in and snow`s Price

As absolutely silly as that penalty is, it`s there, he knew it, and he couldn`t stop himself from doing it and THAT, is the kind of thing that I think Chia and company will view as someone who`s just not thinking team

Yea, first penalty was absolute bs. Second one was something that he should have never done. Teams know that if they don't fall for his crap he hurts his own team.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yea, first penalty was absolute bs. Second one was something that he should have never done. Teams know that if they don't fall for his crap he hurts his own team.

Yep, doesn`t mean he can`t stir things up, but that penalty screamed selfish.

Still shaking my head at that play, completely kill any chance to start the 2nd in a good frame of mind. Doesn`t matter that the Habs didn`t score, but the fact he gave them the chance to establish some early period momentum:shakehead

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
However anyone feels about the guy... I think if you get rid of Kelly, then the team will probably not get rid of Marchand. The PK is pretty important to the team and with Montreal playing the Pittsburgh way, it'll continue to be a factor.

turtlethedog

Nov 14, 2011
Charlestown
time to bring up the average height of the team. lata marchand.

As a side note has anyone ever heard of someone getting called for snowing the goalie?new one on me.

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004

I have to disagree here. Marchand could have stopped. He realized he could barrel into Price and use the "but I was pushed" excuse, which didn't fly this time. If you recall, Price had already been bumped pretty hard (on a legit play, but still) a few minutes before. Marchand has to be smarter and realize the refs probably aren't going to let the B's take Price out twice 8 minutes into game 7. As is too often the case with him, he didn't.

I also thought the snowing of Price was an idiotic move. It's been called relatively frequently this postseason, and he blatantly did it.

Very disappointed with him in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad