Brad Marchand jumps Lars Eller part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
What I’m dying to know is when the term “getting jumped” became a thing in hockey?

When I was growing up, I always thought “getting jumped” was when two or more people completely took someone by surprise and beat the bag out him. Just an absolute mugging.

A “fight” was always a one on one confrontation usually preceded by fighting words, etc...

Brad Marchand and Lars Eller had a FIGHT.

I have been in a fight before, and unfortunately I also know what it’s like to be “jumped”. They are VERY different. From what I know of Brad Marchand, he is incapable of sneaking up on anyone or taking them by surprise. He talks too much and Eller MUST have known a fight was coming.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Tom Wilson gets 20 games for what could be generously called a hockey play that went over the edge. Brad Marchand gets no review for something that cannot be considered a hockey play even generously

Tom Wilson is maybe the 10th best player in his team. Brad Marchand is maybe the 25th best player in the entire NHL.

It's not equal justice for all. If you are good enough to sell lots of tickets you get away with it. If you are not a star you get the book thrown at you.

you're right, we should suspend every player for fighting going forward. fights are not hockey plays after all. neither is shoving after the play, but maybe start those off with just fines.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
To those of you saying this wasn’t a hockey play and this should be suspendable ok then, alright we can have players like Ellers embarrassing teams heck maybe even the players can start doing the wild nfl touch down celebrations.
Or how about no the Nhl has more class than that and if you wanna act like an idiot in a 7-0 game the you deserve to get ur teeth knocked down ur throat. We can only do so much here guys regarding safety of the game but if you make it to safe the nhl will turn into a circus. God I hate where the games going

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I detest Marchand and I'm not a proponent of "old time hockey", but it's difficult to condemn him after watching Eller celebrate the 7-0 goal like that. You're playing a physical sport where people only get in-game penalties for punching you in the face; maybe don't rub salt in the other team's wounds. :dunno:

And despite how people have framed it, Marchand never "jumped" him.

I feel dirty now.

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
Isn't this really because the Caps ran up the score on the Bruins and you just don't do that.
so the paying audience should just go home after a 4 or 5-0 scoreline? no reason to expect more goals and celebrations? .. F*** THAT NOISE !

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
For example...

Fights similar to Marchands.

Max McCormick wasn't suspended for this:

Trevor Gillies wasn't suspended for this:

Reactions: Pia8988

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
This reminds me of Nurse beating up Roman Polak even though Polak didn't want to fight a the season before last. As I recall he got 3 games for it, which even as an Oilers fan I had to admit was fair. Judging from what happened after that incident I assume the Caps will bring up a goon from the minors to fight Marchand in an arranged fight the next time they play. Then we will be treated to Caps fans claiming said goon "beat the crap out of" Marchand even though the replay clearly shows nothing but a few jabs being landed. Same old, same old, although I think Marchand does deserve a suspension.

Sorry, I agree with the rest of this post.

But Haley destroyed Nurse.

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
For example...

Fights similar to Marchands.

Max McCormick wasn't suspended for this:

Trevor Gillies wasn't suspended for this:

Well those may or may not be examples of similar incidents. It is obviously impossible to tell since neither one shows the fight starting.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
so the paying audience should just go home after a 4 or 5-0 scoreline? no reason to expect more goals and celebrations? .. F*** THAT NOISE !

score as many as you want but if you do the burning hot stick pantomime after every goal up 6, you might just wonder if the team taking the beating is just gonna lie there and take it.

he scores his first in the nhl, its a pass. he scores a milestone coal in his career its a pass. he scores a meaningless goal in a settled game, as a league vet does the cowboy in the corner, skates by the bench and chirps, stops looks back and chips again, that's " salt meet wound" territory.

seeing as old rat face isnt going to get anything from the league, i guess this whole thing boils down to " live and learn" for eller. I thought he would get a game or two but that's more based on my intense dislike for him over what he did.

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
Sorry, I agree with the rest of this post.

But Haley destroyed Nurse.

I knew that would get the interest of some Shark's fans. No he didn't. He won but it wasn't much of a fight in my opinion but I am not going to argue about it. Even if he did though, Nurse stood in there and took it like a man. Nurse did deserve the suspension though. You can't just mug a guy who doesn't want to fight. As I recall he was mad at Polak over a perceived dirty play but the replays showed the Polak hadn't done anything.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
NHL to Capitals: Times are changing, it doesn't matter how traditionally stupid the opposing player was, or how legal this would have been years ago, we can't have players blasting other players in the head.

Also NHL to Capitals: Well, if your players don't want to be hit in the head maybe they shouldn't do traditionally stupid things. It's always been this way, them's the breaks in a physical game.

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm honestly asking last night did Kuznetsov do his celebration where he flaps his arms after each time he scores a goal since he happened to score last night. Personally I think that's a lot worse of a celebration compared to what Eller did.

Reactions: Doc McKenna
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad