Boston Bruins Brad Marchand has been suspended 3 games for slew footing Canucks defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Maybe someone pointed this out already but I am sure they made it 3 games because the Bruins play Vancouver again in 3 games. It's just too convenient for the NHL to keep him out of that game.
If any of the actual players even cared they would have pummeled Marchand last game. He had plenty of good hard hits to use an excuse to initiate a response.

Reactions: Don Cherry

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Time for Sweeney to say something and pay a fine.
Simply incompetent league.The league continues to lose fans.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
I thought and still think it was a 1X1 battle. Marchand was extremely engage physically in the last game ... I don't know what to say. I've seen so many dirty plays and big injuries coming out of it with no suspension in so many times, that I can't not understand this one. I don't know on what factual basis decision was made.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Remember what the rule says

"A player is considered a repeat offender for 18 months following his most recent incident that resulted in a suspension. His status as a repeat offender in this category is used to determine the amount of salary forfeited should he receive another suspension.
It is important to note that even if a player is not defined as a repeat offender, his past history may come into consideration when determining future supplemental discipline."

So even if he hasnt been suspended recently. Any suspension in his past will be factored in to his future suspensions. This is Marchands 2nd suspension for slew footing and he also had one separate fine for slew footing. So this is his 3rd slew foot that has required either a fine or suspension. Not only has he been in trouble for slew footing before, this is marchands 7th suspension overall, the league isnt going to cut him any slack with any infraction he has.

Theres hundreds of plays people can point to and say _____ player did this, but only got fined or got one game. When the reality is that player most likely doesnt have the history marchand does.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
this hasn't been a good year for the NHL,WHY THEY INSIST ON MAKING IT WORSE IS WHAT I DON'T GET. Some things you can control, others you can't ,at least get what you can control right. One game would have been plenty.

Reactions: bobbyorr04

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

"A player is considered a repeat offender for 18 months following his most recent incident that resulted in a suspension. His status as a repeat offender in this category is used to determine the amount of salary forfeited should he receive another suspension.
It is important to note that even if a player is not defined as a repeat offender, his past history may come into consideration when determining future supplemental discipline."

So even if he hasnt been suspended recently. Any suspension in his past will be factored in to his future suspensions. This is Marchands 2nd suspension for slew footing and he also had one separate fine for slew footing. So this is his 3rd slew foot that has required either a fine or suspension. Not only has he been in trouble for slew footing before, this is marchands 7th suspension overall, the league isnt going to cut him any slack with any infraction he has.

Theres hundreds of plays people can point to and say _____ player did this, but only got fined or got one game. When the reality is that player most likely doesnt have the history marchand does.
Yes that's all fine and well, but it's pretty obvious Marchand has tried to clean up the nonsense from his game over the past 3ish seasons, and frankly has.

This isn't a Matt Cooke "oh he's changed!" bullshit and then he eventually injured someone else. Marchand has been by all accounts a clean player since the team and coach clearly told him to clean it up

What's ridiculous is that you have a comparable in terms of someone who has gone and done it not only multiple times throughout his career, but multiples times this season alone in PK Subban, and you don't hear a peep from the league.

By your criteria, Subban should be a repeat offender, but he isn't.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Yes that's all fine and well, but it's pretty obvious Marchand has tried to clean up the nonsense from his game over the past 3ish seasons, and frankly has.

This isn't a Matt Cooke "oh he's changed!" bullshit and then he eventually injured someone else. Marchand has been by all accounts a clean player since the team and coach clearly told him to clean it up

What's ridiculous is that you have a comparable in terms of someone who has gone and done it not only multiple times throughout his career, but multiples times this season alone in PK Subban, and you don't hear a peep from the league.

By your criteria, Subban should be a repeat offender, but he isn't.

I don’t think you read what I posted because it actually completely contradicts what you just said as far as subban being a repeat offender. The repeat offender(18 month time period of last offense) DOES NOT determine suspension or suspension length, it determines how much a player gets fined. Since subban was a repeat offender he was given the maximum amount fine possible a player can get for that infraction. Technically one of PK Subbans fines was labeled a trip. Marchand also has been fined for a separate tripping infraction not including the three slew footing infractions.

Right now judging by the latest infraction by Subban his next step is suspension. Given that Subban hasn’t been suspended before (this is where the bolded part of my last post comes in) he got the maximum fine.

Since marchand has been fined multiple times for slew footing and tripping. Also has been suspended he doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt due to his much more extensive history than marchand. So marchand got his second slew footing suspension.

If PK Subban does it again he will certainly be suspended. Probably a game or two. Then in the future if he does it again it will probably be the 3 game standard that they just set for marchand.

However since this is marchand a 7th suspension there’s a chance they’ll go lighter on subban who has never been suspended before and he will likely just get a one game suspension.

When you are on your 7th career suspension, you don’t get the same courtesy as someone who hasn’t been suspended or has only been suspended one or two times.

Last edited:

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal

You cant have an history if you're not suspended or fined when you should've.

Unfortunately Marchand never in his career had the benefit of the doubt and every time he sneezed (and he has a big nose) he got suspended. More often than not rightfully so but the fact of the matter remains: there is a double standard when it comes to Marchand, and he gets a treatment where everyone else gets another.

Not even gonna try to defend him on this one. To me, its not what they do with him, its what they dont do to the rest of the league

But as i said on other thread, this coudl be a good thing. Maybe they lose a few games and some real changes come to this team.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Marchand got suspended 3 games based on history and all that blah blah blah. Fine, move on.
And I would be fine with that IF AND WHEN the league and DOPs enforce the rules equally across ALL players regular season and PLAYOFFS!!!

A called or reviewed slew foot regular season (as example) has to be the same in the playoffs - no exceptions. Until then the officiating and rule enforcement in this league is a joke ... with a different set of rules regular season and playoffs and what the player's last name is. It is so disheartening as a fan to see different standards.

I'm stepping down off my soapbox now, but ...
Yes, I am still Bitter about gm5 finals '19 ... it literally ruined my love for the game. I have lost faith in the game being officiated and rules enforced fairly/unbiasedly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dreghorn2

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
If any of the actual players even cared they would have pummeled Marchand last game. He had plenty of good hard hits to use an excuse to initiate a response.
Here's a great point!!!! I know it's not going to happen, but the league was better when players were allowed to settle things themselves, up to a point at least.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Frustrating and maddening, Brad is always the scapegoat. They have never liked him and take every opportunity to punish him. It is a joke but sadly nothing will change. We can yell and scream but they just don't care. He is an elite player, one of the best in the league but does not get the same treatment as the Ovechkins or Crosbys, who continually break the rules and are given a get out of jail free card.

Brad will just be more determined and this will give the others a chance to juggle lines to see if anything lights up. Not ideal but let's look for some glimmer of a silver lining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad