Boston Bruins Brad Marchand has been suspended 3 games for slew footing Canucks defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

Sorry if you don’t have Twitter but Ty took a screenshot of the written interview in another app. I’m not typing it all out lol

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
It’s a slew for sure. Kick legs out while pulling top back. I’ve seen worse infractions though. Especially along the boards.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Agree with everything Marchy has said. Also good to see others sticking up for him. NHL is holding a grudge no doubt. Forget who they were over the last couple years, but there have been a couple times where DoPS should have levied more punishment for the players, but they pointed out it had been a certain amount of time since those players had supplemental discipline. In Brad's case the league openly mentioned his past. Picking and choosing. The wheel of justice always spinning.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I don’t think you read what I posted because it actually completely contradicts what you just said as far as subban being a repeat offender. The repeat offender(18 month time period of last offense) DOES NOT determine suspension or suspension length, it determines how much a player gets fined. Since subban was a repeat offender he was given the maximum amount fine possible a player can get for that infraction. Technically one of PK Subbans fines was labeled a trip. Marchand also has been fined for a separate tripping infraction not including the three slew footing infractions.

Right now judging by the latest infraction by Subban his next step is suspension. Given that Subban hasn’t been suspended before (this is where the bolded part of my last post comes in) he got the maximum fine.

Since marchand has been fined multiple times for slew footing and tripping. Also has been suspended he doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt due to his much more extensive history than marchand. So marchand got his second slew footing suspension.

If PK Subban does it again he will certainly be suspended. Probably a game or two. Then in the future if he does it again it will probably be the 3 game standard that they just set for marchand.

However since this is marchand a 7th suspension there’s a chance they’ll go lighter on subban who has never been suspended before and he will likely just get a one game suspension.

When you are on your 7th career suspension, you don’t get the same courtesy as someone who hasn’t been suspended or has only been suspended one or two times.

Marchand 's been clean last 18 months so his status should be the same as Subban 's

Reactions: Gordoff

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I think this was one of those scenarios where marchands name caught up with him because he’s skirted suspensions in the past. This was pretty fringy at best.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
What are the chances Bertuzzi (it was him, right.) gets suspended for his slew foot tonight?

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Subban should have missed games this season if Marchand has to.

Also, recently retired players should not be in DOPS. They have ex-teammates all over the league and probably in their cell phone. Parros and Subban were teammates a few years ago. How hard would it be to find a retired player 7-10 years older that only played with or against 2 or 3 guys in the league instead of dozens--or hundreds, actually, when Parros was first hired.

Last edited:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Marchand 's been clean last 18 months so his status should be the same as Subban 's

One of the most misunderstood rules in the NHL, even though it comes up EVERY TIME there's a suspension.

FACT: Repeat Offender status is given to anyone who has 2 or more cases of supplemental discipline in an 18 month period.

FACT: Repeat Offender status is ONLY applied to how much money is lost by the player. The status means nothing when it comes to length of suspension.

FACT: The player's ENTIRE history, going back as long as the DoPS wishes to go, can and is applied to the determination of suspensions.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
That abysmal ruling costed the Bruins 3pts.

They would have won both games against Wingz and TB with Marchand.
eh, who knows. I think having Marchand out probably woke them up a bit. Good chance they get complacent and blow one of those games if Marchand is in the lineup. Too many passengers on this team who will let the top line carry them, but if Marchand is out of the lineup those passengers tend to step up a bit.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Subban is also a former Norris Trophy winning defenseman & I wouldn't be surprised to learn that has influenced DPOS' thinking.

#63 is well, #63. All he has is a lengthy list of suspensions & fines.

Is it fair? No, but it is what it is. I don't care what sport we talk about, once you get a bad reputation it is nearly impossible to get rid of it. I give him full credit for trying to clean up his act but let's face it, he will never get the benefit of the doubt from the officials when something like this happens because of his own past actions.

And yes, it was a slew foot. If an opponent had done this to a Bruin we'd be screaming for his head on a platter & rightly so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad