Waived: Brad Boyes

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
hard worker and a good two way player? what are you guys watching? seriously?

boyes drove me nuts with his floating and soft board play. he was a nice guy but he's not the type of player winning teams have playing a significant role.

I don't think he's the best defensive player but he was good enough to earn a contract extension on a defensively structured team. Somebody had to like his game.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
You don't think Grimaldi can pot 14 goals this year???

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're kidding right?

Hahahaha... no. There's nothing to indicate that Rocco would be more useful than Boyes. One goal in seven games in the big show hasn't convinced me.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Tweets
Follow
23m
Harvey Fialkov @hfialkov
That said, Boyes was an excellent leader in locker room and always a standup guy to deal with after wins and losses #flapanthers
Expand
24m
Harvey Fialkov @hfialkov
At times coach Gallant benched Boyes for not working hard enough on the walls when he didn't have the puck. #flapanthers
ExpandReplyRetweetFavorite
24m
Harvey Fialkov @hfialkov
Boyes also struggled in shootouts which used to be his forte #flapanthers
Expand
24m
Harvey Fialkov @hfialkov
Boyes who led team with 23 goals when he earned job on tryout basis 2 seasons ago slipped to 14 goals and 38 pts this year. #flapanthers
Expand
25m
Harvey Fialkov @hfialkov
Boyes was slated to make $2.5 million so if Panthers buy him out it will cost them $833,333 in each of next two seasons. #flapanthers
Expand
27m
Harvey Fialkov @hfialkov
Panthers placed RW Brad Boyes on waivers #flapanthers

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
I thought he did just fine in the 3rd line role playing with Jokinen and Bolland.

He wasn't amazing, but he did well enough.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
You don't think Grimaldi can pot 14 goals this year???

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're kidding right?

:laugh: at thinking Grimaldi is a lock for 14 goals. He scored one goal in his stint last year. Hardly prolific. And he only scored 14 goals in the AHL. Suddenly he is going to score more goals in the NHL!

Wow is Grimaldi overrated a lot by some people around here.

Hey I hope he does score 14 goals in the NHL next year, that would be great. But to think he is a lock is ridiculous.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
This kinda gets me excited. Making room for a player. Could it be Kessel? Waiting for his bonus to be paid? or making room for more youngsters? Maybe there is a deal in place and thats why DT been so quite or maybe we make a serious push for Williams?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Nothing.

Brad Boyes is absolutely useless unless he's in a top-6 role. He's soft, lazy and bad defensively.

The problem is, if Boyes is on your top-6, you're probably not a very good team. He's not that good, even offensively.

He's one of those fringe-top 6 players who are either on your first or second line or a healthy scratch. There's not much of a market for that type of player. He'll sign on with some bad team like he did with us two years ago.

The fact that we're getting rid of him is a sign that, hopefully, we're not that type of club anymore that needs fringe players to fill out its roster.
Bad defensively, what? More like average.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I thought he did just fine in the 3rd line role playing with Jokinen and Bolland.

He wasn't amazing, but he did well enough.

Agree. He was fine. With his contract you'd think you'd hold on to him as a depth forward especially since Tallon was going to move Hayes to NYR for Talbot so he can't be too hot on our other Top 9 RW.

Something must be in the works...

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
hard worker and a good two way player? what are you guys watching? seriously?

boyes drove me nuts with his floating and soft board play. he was a nice guy but he's not the type of player winning teams have playing a significant role.
You sir should go on a comedy tour.

You don't like Boyes, fine. But to allude the guy was a lazy good for nothing is way off base. He worked very hard on the boards and did an excellent job in the defensive end when called on. He was anything but lazy. I just think his age caught up with him and he no longer had the NHL speed, shot, and consistency to compete with the younger guys.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
While I agree Grimaldi isn't a lock to match Boyes' production, I do believe he's a better player now than he was during his callup. He only had one goal, but I can remember at least two times where he was in the crease and just had to tap the puck in the net, but didn't have the composure to do so. I think the jitters will be gone this time around and he'd probably convert those now. I'm excited to see what he brings.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I don't think he's the best defensive player but he was good enough to earn a contract extension on a defensively structured team. Somebody had to like his game.

They liked his game when he score 21 goals. He's regressed to 14 and I don,t even want to see how low he would have been this year.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
I understand going younger but when you replace scrub nhl players (boyes, upshall, kopecky, seemingly every panther players since 2000) with 2nd round draft picks who havent lit the world on fire in the minors does anyone expect any real improvement in goal scoring?

We need to ADD 30 goals to our total output. Where will it come from?

oOwlCat

FL > TN
Jun 24, 2010
Nashville, TN
So for forwards: we're looking at this?

Hubs-Barkov-Jagr
Pirri-Bjugstad- Hayes
Jussi-Bolland - Trocheck
?- Mack- Thornton

That's ugly

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I had a feeling Boyes would be traded mostly for the factor of making room for the youth or adding a veteran winger. However, I really don't understand the buyout as if no other team wanted him with his relatively low contract.

If it's just to make room for one of the young players, I don't agree with it as I feel that they have to earn their spot. Boyes could have gotten 40 points this season, but from the observations of him being benched at times last season, it was unlikely that he'd be on the roster this coming season. Perhaps, Tallon has a trade or free agent signing up his sleeve or else I don't understand this.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
They liked his game when he score 21 goals. He's regressed to 14 and I don,t even want to see how low he would have been this year.

His goals were down, but his point total was up. His contract was good. He was actually underpaid! He fit nicely on the 3rd line.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
I understand going younger but when you replace scrub nhl players (boyes, upshall, kopecky, seemingly every panther players since 2000) with 2nd round draft picks who havent lit the world on fire in the minors does anyone expect any real improvement in goal scoring?

We need to ADD 30 goals to our total output. Where will it come from?

Without Boyes we need to add 45, let's say 40 since presumably on average our young players will improve and Jagr is here all year. With Boyes gone that's two wing slots with 20 goals each.

Seems doable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad