Waived: Brad Boyes

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
The only reason I can think of for this move is there is something already in place to replace him (whether it be by trade or FA). There has to be an agreement in principle already with someone.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
It doesn't have to be for a scored. We could just be signing a 4th liner tomorrow. That would still allow Tro/Grims/Howden/Crouse to fight for 2 spots.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Wingers

Hubs - Jagr
Pirri, Hayes, Jokinen, Thornton

So we have two spots open. More like 3 since Thornton is going to be scratched most games. That leaves room for Howden, Grimaldi, and Trocheck.

I like the speed they add but I'm very concerned about scoring...

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Puzzling move.

Boyes was already underpaid at 2.625M and now you're telling me that no one wouldn't take him at 50% retained? What is wrong with GMs these days. :loony:

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Still have a useless hockey player in Thornton. Great for the locker room but not for the lineup. Can he just retire and take a coaching position or something..

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Still have a useless hockey player in Thornton. Great for the locker room but not for the lineup. Can he just retire and take a coaching position or something..

He'll probably play 15-20 games. But I agree, completely useless.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
My guess would be more teams are cap crunched or up against their budget than we may know and won't take salary without sending back a roster player. Columbus probably offered Clarkson and a 2nd :laugh:

Dale needs roster spots and Boyes was the obvious choice. He's been an awkward spare part since Jagr showed up.

Someone will throw a million at him in FA. New Jersey is trying to get younger. Maybe they sign him :sarcasm:

Ekblast

"We're still learning." -Coach Brunette.
Nov 9, 2002
Flori-duh
www.Reddit.com
We must be trading for Kessel! Or some RW who can score. I doubt Rocco or Trocheck would score more than Boyes this season and we hurt our depth by moving him. Plus he had a nice contract.

You don't think Grimaldi can pot 14 goals this year???

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're kidding right?

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
The more I think about it the more I feel this is done for Lawson Crouse...

Third line

Crouse - Bolland - Jokinen

Timing is suspect. It's too early to think Crouse has earned already earned a spot. With free agency starting tomorrow and Kessel getting paid his 4 mill bonus, you have to think the timing means something. Otherwise he would just waive Boyes after Crouse has earned his spot, imo.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
That's who I thought would be bought out today. Boyes was always a hard worker on every shift and was a very good two way player. The only reason I can think of is his accuracy fell off last year both in the shootout and 5 on 5. I don't see an immediate replacement via trade or UFA. Tallon was just using the buyout option as this is the last day you can do it.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Puzzling move.

Boyes was already underpaid at 2.625M and now you're telling me that no one wouldn't take him at 50% retained? What is wrong with GMs these days. :loony:

Nothing.

Brad Boyes is absolutely useless unless he's in a top-6 role. He's soft, lazy and bad defensively.

The problem is, if Boyes is on your top-6, you're probably not a very good team. He's not that good, even offensively.

He's one of those fringe-top 6 players who are either on your first or second line or a healthy scratch. There's not much of a market for that type of player. He'll sign on with some bad team like he did with us two years ago.

The fact that we're getting rid of him is a sign that, hopefully, we're not that type of club anymore that needs fringe players to fill out its roster.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Timing is suspect. It's too early to think Crouse has earned already earned a spot. With free agency starting tomorrow and Kessel getting paid his 4 mill bonus, you have to think the timing means something. Otherwise he would just waive Boyes after Crouse has earned his spot, imo.

Only way to know for sure we do not play Boyes' full salary is to do this during the buyout period, it ends tomorrow as well.

There would be a chance we waive no one claims and we have to pay him full salary ala Dan Ellis in the AHL.

Ellis made a million dollars last year in the AHL. Was not going to happen again IMO.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008

You're kidding right?

He scored 14 goals in the AHL last year, and he'll be playing against even bigger and faster men out there.

While he is fast, his competition will be faster than the guys he faced in the AHL. I hope he can make it to the NHL, but he is far from a lock in becoming a NHL player.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

You're kidding right?

I don't think it's a guarantee at all. I get you love him and overrate his potential but look what guys like Huberdeau and Barkov put up. Two players who are better than him and play first line minutes. In 7 games last year, Rocco only put up one goal... How many goals did he put up in the AHL? 14?

HAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!

You're kidding right?

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
That's who I thought would be bought out today. Boyes was always a hard worker on every shift and was a very good two way player. The only reason I can think of is his accuracy fell off last year both in the shootout and 5 on 5. I don't see an immediate replacement via trade or UFA. Tallon was just keeping his using the buyout option as this is the last day you can do it.

hard worker and a good two way player? what are you guys watching? seriously?

boyes drove me nuts with his floating and soft board play. he was a nice guy but he's not the type of player winning teams have playing a significant role.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
He'll find somewhere to play....Maybe Edmonton will take the former Otter to help Mcdavid along. Erie already retired his number, I'm sure he'll be there for Connor's number retirement.

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida
I really don't get this at all. I would prefer the rookies to earn a spot on the roster, not just giving it to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad