Waived: Brad Boyes

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Remember, the FA negotiating period actually started a couple days ago, so Tallon could have the principles of a deal in place with someone to replace Boyes. Possibly Parenteau? It seems less likely that this is about a trade unless they worked something out with Toronto for Kessel, and won't complete the trade until Toronto eats that $4mil bonus.

:rant:

God I hope not.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Uhhh... ok? How about buying out Bolland, instead? Boyes has a harmless contract. Pretty sure we could have got a pick for him. Stupid move.

Really, you think Tallon didn't try to trade him? People need to remember that Boyes was signed after professionnal try out the first time around. So it's not like he was a hot commodity 3 years ago.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Add me to the list of those who don't understand this move.

Sure as hell hope this wasn't just for budgeting reasons.

If it is who cares. I believe all the young kids have legitimately passed him. He lost a step or two on this competitive roster halfway through the season last year.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Really, you think Tallon didn't try to trade him? People need to remember that Boyes was signed after professionnal try out the first time around. So it's not like he was a hot commodity 3 years ago.

My understanding was he was only available that late because he holding out for more money, then had to accept whatever was available.

Holy Jokinen

Mar 4, 2007
Tampa
Getting increasingly worried about depth in the organization. The injury bug always hits the Panthers hard, and if we aren't almost 100% healthy all season, it's hard to see who we can call up to keep the engine running smoothly. There really has to be something else going on.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
We must be trading for Kessel! Or some RW who can score. I doubt Rocco or Trocheck would score more than Boyes this season and we hurt our depth by moving him. Plus he had a nice contract.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
It looks like it's finally time for the young guys to play.

So, remove the threat of competition?

Honestly, it may seem like I'm overreacting, but I know the offseason is still young and we may acquire another player via trade or FA. I would of kept him for depth, even if the young guys beat him out. It's 2.5 million for a team that will be way below the cap.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
If it is who cares. I believe all the young kids have legitimately passed him. He lost a step or two on this competitive roster halfway through the season last year.

Personally, I don't care. But it's just odd/concerning because it's only 1 year left at such a low cap hit/salary. I think it's going to save them 1.75 mill...hopefully this is going to be used elsewhere.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
So, remove the threat of competition?

Honestly, it may seem like I'm overreacting, but I know the offseason is still young and we may acquire another player via trade or FA. I would of kept him for depth, even if the young guys beat him out. It's 2.5 million for a team that will be way below the cap.

I'm not sure if there would really be a competition. It's obviously time for the stopgaps to be replaced. The competition will be between the young guys. I'm not really sure that DT is the cap savvy kind of guy.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Well Brad Boyes is not lazy. His defensive play is better than most suggest.

And for $2.5m that production is pretty respectable to say the least.

Brad Boyes isn't lazy? Have you watched this team the last two years?

There's a reason he was healthy scratched several times, and there's a reason NYI didn't offer him a contract before he came here and there's a reason he has bounced around his entire career.

Because he's lazy.

No big loss.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Brad Boyes isn't lazy? Have you watched this team the last two years?

There's a reason he was healthy scratched several times, and there's a reason NYI didn't offer him a contract before he came here and there's a reason he has bounced around his entire career.

Because he's lazy.

No big loss.

Yes I've watched every game, and lazy is not the right description.

As Eggblag said, he's not very physical but that doesn't make him lazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad