Confirmed with Link: Bozak to STL (3 years @ $5m)

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I’m trying to figure out how Bozak is a downgrade from Stastny. Looking at the numbers they seem almost even except Stastny played more minutes the last few years.

Reactions: BadNewsBlues

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I’m trying to figure out how Bozak is a downgrade from Stastny. Looking at the numbers they seem almost even except Stastny played more minutes the last few years.

I agree to an extent. The one thing Stastny has on him is his defensive play. However if Bozak can form chemistry with Tarasenko, something Stastny never did he could end up being better player for us.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I agree to an extent. The one thing Stastny has on him is his defensive play. However if Bozak can form chemistry with Tarasenko, something Stastny never did he could end up being better player for us.
That's one thing I've been hyper-critical of. Bozak has never had a "good defense" tag labeled to him, so I'm a little skeptical of how we are going to replace Stastny on that. I'll wait to see what happens, but I'm a bit worried the penalty kill is going to be pretty bad.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
He never got credit for his defensive play because he played in Toronto while they were struggling. Had he played for a team with some success people would talk a lot about him being a very good two-way center.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
This thread has been a hell of a lot better than twitter/facebook/reddit. Lordy.

Anyway, I've seen a couple terms/sentiments here and other places that I just don't understand and want to address.

1. "Low hanging Fruit"

I honestly don't understand how these Bozak/Perron are 'low hanging fruit.' Sportsnet had them ranked as the 5th and 11th biggest UFAs this summer and the Hockey News had them at 7th and 9th. Bozak was the 3rd highest center on Sportsnet's list and 3rd highest for the Hockey News if you exclude Thornton (who is obviously returning to SJ). Perron was the 3rd highest winger on both lists. They are both 40-50 point players, which is something this team desperately needed and something that was not available in abundance in free agency. Like it or not, these guys were among the better free agents available .

JVR signed $7 mil by 5 years. James Neal turned down $5 mil by 5 years from Vegas. Stastny just signed $6.5 mil by 3 years. Michael Grabner just signed $3.35 mil by 3 years. Riley Nash just signed at $2.75 mil by 3 years. Which of these was the fruit Army should have reached for instead? SHould we have spent assets in two seperate trades for ROR and a winger? Was it worth losing Kyrou, Kostin, another couple prospects, a 1st round pick and potentially more to trade for better fruit?

2. "Oh great, more 3rd liners!"

I understand this sentiment even less. There seems to be some bizarre revisionist history that Army has built this awesome collection of 3rd liners and that a 3rd line player is the last thing we need. Where does this come from? We had arguably the worst 3rd line in hockey last year. The top line was good, the 2nd line was adequate (at least until Stastny was moved) and then the 3rd line was a complete and total gong show. We would have easily been a playoff team with a real 3rd line last year instead of the rotating door between Sobotka, Jaskin, Sundqvist, Thompson, Blais, Barby, and PRV. Those 7 guys combined for 32 goals and 84 points over 360 combined games. A good chunk of that production came while playing on the 4th line or 2nd lines, but those are the 7 guys who essentially made up our 3rd line. Bergy had some time on the 3rd line, but by far his most common usage was on our 2nd line. Bozak and Perron combined for 27 goals and 109 points in 151 games. We desperately needed 3rd line help and acting like we were all set there is just strange.

Furthermore, these aren't 3rd liners. Bozak was 140th in scoring in a down year. Perron was 42nd. I expect that number to drop from his absurd 66 point season, but his consistent 40+ point efforts in the past would put him squarely in the top 186 scoring forwards in the game. These are squarely 2nd line caliber guys at the NHL level. We can debate whether they are good enough to be 2nd line players for a contender, but that is a much, much different conversation than, "Oh great, more 3rd liners."

Last edited:

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
2. "Oh great, more 3rd liners!"

I understand this sentiment even less. There seems to be some bizarre revisionist history that Army has built this awesome collection of 3rd liners and that a 3rd line player is the last thing we need. Where does this come from?

Hitches Hat, and other relentlessly obnoxious Twitter “personalities”.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
That's one thing I've been hyper-critical of. Bozak has never had a "good defense" tag labeled to him, so I'm a little skeptical of how we are going to replace Stastny on that. I'll wait to see what happens, but I'm a bit worried the penalty kill is going to be pretty bad.
I think Steen will be the 2LW, now that he won't have to be pushed around the lineup night after night. He will be able to cover for his mistakes, if that is the case.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I will mention, Bozak was used at one point to kill penalties. And really, he's always played short-handed. If the play turned over, Phil Kessel would skate to the bench and order a hot-dog. JVR would never be on the ice when the goal scored because he'd jump off the ice as well. Which would probably be wise since anyone else would get to the Leaf's end before he did anyways. There were countless plays for years that you'd see Bozak being the only forward on his line even in the camera shot when a goal was scored against. Fans would point to Bozak and blame him... but where was everyone else? Defensively, he's never had two wingers helping him.... EVER. I'd also mention that he also recorded the 2nd highest Takeaway stat of any Leaf, which was recently broken by Austin Matthews. Bozak's assists/60 is the same as Matthews. He doesn't score, prefers to set-up others.

Bozak's defensive game is under-rated. I will be interesting to see how he'll do not burdened by Kessel or JVR.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Could be posturing, trying to look less interested on RoR ala the Bouwmeester trade.

...or not.
Nice call, did you use the force.

DcVCvNJV0AA3gOn.jpg

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I'm going to guess they wanted Kyrou or Thomas and DA wouldn't do it but offered Thompson. Buffalo didn't want that so there was a stalemate with Buffalo eventually giving in and taking DA's ask. That's just my guess.
Yes, but not without Botterill demanding the adding the 2nd Rounder, which made Army say that Buffalo would now also have to take both Sobotka and Berglund, without The Blues paying any of their salaries (which was partly necessary because The Blues had to pay ROR's bonus). Already having Bozak gave Army the leverage never consider giving up Thomas, Kyrou, Kostin, Dunn or Parayko, and to know that if he'd keep adding small extras to the package, Botterill would eventually give in.

So, I won't ever consider Bozak's contract a burden, even if he's not worth his salary at the end. But, Army will be able to trade him off before that, anyway, if The Blues need that done.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Yes, but not without Botterill demanding the adding the 2nd Rounder, which made Army say that Buffalo would now also have to take both Sobotka and Berglund, without The Blues paying any of their salaries (which was partly necessary because The Blues had to pay ROR's bonus). Already having Bozak gave Army the leverage never consider giving up Thomas, Kyrou, Kostin, Dunn or Parayko, and to know that if he'd keep adding small extras to the package, Botterill would eventually give in.

So, I won't ever consider Bozak's contract a burden, even if he's not worth his salary at the end. But, Army will be able to trade him off before that, anyway, if The Blues need that done.

Agreed. I suspect that after 2 years the Blues will be ready to rid themselves of Bozak's final $5M-season, but if that's the cost of making the ROR trade happen, then so be it. Worry about the salary cap for 2-3 years from now later. Heck, Bozak's availability should be immediate if the right offers/needs arise. Someone mentioned openings in Montreal and San Jose. lol

Mar 6, 2012
I admit that I'm not overly familiar with Bozak's play. Can someone give me a quick scouting report?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad