Confirmed with Link: Bozak to STL (3 years @ $5m)

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I've had a recurring nightmare recently where the Blues signed Bozak. When I'd see his name it would trigger this resonation effect like a prescient warning. Bozak-ak-ak-ak .......... I'd wake up shaking and confused but assured that this frightening future was put off at least one more day.

Today I'll be drinking as much tequila as I can handle.

Not sure why. Bozak is a pretty good player and this is a pretty good contract. My worry with him was that he'd be 5.5 or higher at long term. This is more than fine. Decent center who can pivot that second line until Thmoas takes it from him.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
If this is our offseason, then we have seen the return of the old DA. Low hanging fruit. This sort of screams to me the return of the first round exit. I am willing to see what else unfolds, but that is my initial reaction.

My counter is what exactly did you want him to do? He was prepared to go big on Tavares, but there wasn't mutual interest. Trading partners for our big players seemingly didn't materialize. If you asked me which scenario would be preferable, getting Perron and Bozak in for a combined 9 mill a season on 4 and 3 year deals respectively, or gutting the core to make trades for slightly better players, I take this and run.

I know it's not exciting, but would trading Kyrou, a 1st, and anothet piece for O'Reilly really be better then giving this contract for Bozak? If the Blues get to the point were we winna cup, it's because Thomas and Kyrou end up being as good as we think they can be, not from trading them for short term gain.

converseman54

Apr 13, 2017
STL
Nobody was saying Vegas was in contender status last year after their draft and free agent signings, but they clicked well together and made it to the SCF. We signed two legit NHL players today that filled our two greatest positions of need (except for goaltending, but that's another story). Who knows how well the team will mesh together, but we're in a better position now than when we started last season knowing Fabbri was out for the year. It's too early for doom and gloom.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Does that forward group give us contender status?

Nope but I think we could make the playoffs. It is impossible to know the real prices in the trade market so putting that aside I am not sure Army could have done better after Tavares refused to meet with us. We keep all of our Big 5 prospects who hopefully fill out the roster in the next few years. Our play is patience. I know it sucks but I honestly think it is what is best at this point.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Nope but I think we could make the playoffs. It is impossible to know the real prices in the trade market so putting that aside I am not sure Army could have done better after Tavares refused to meet with us. We keep all of our Big 5 prospects who hopefully fill out the roster in the next few years. Our play is patience. I know it sucks but I honestly think it is what is best at this point.

I’m pretty sure DA talked to just about everybody.

And I’m sure he probably had to deal with a gazilion calls about our prospects and younger D corps.

Army is not afraid to stick to his strategy and pass on shiny new toys.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Nobody was saying Vegas was in contender status last year after their draft and free agent signings, but they clicked well together and made it to the SCF. We signed two legit NHL players today that filled our two greatest positions of need (except for goaltending, but that's another story). Who knows how well the team will mesh together, but we're in a better position now than when we started last season knowing Fabbri was out for the year. It's too early for doom and gloom.
I'll add to your point. We signed two legit NHL players and gave up NO prospects or picks.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
My counter is what exactly did you want him to do? He was prepared to go big on Tavares, but there wasn't mutual interest. Trading partners for our big players seemingly didn't materialize. If you asked me which scenario would be preferable, getting Perron and Bozak in for a combined 9 mill a season on 4 and 3 year deals respectively, or gutting the core to make trades for slightly better players, I take this and run.

I know it's not exciting, but would trading Kyrou, a 1st, and anothet piece for O'Reilly really be better then giving this contract for Bozak? If the Blues get to the point were we winna cup, it's because Thomas and Kyrou end up being as good as we think they can be, not from trading them for short term gain.
He may very well have been backed into a corner, but this is a situation feels incredibly familiar. At some point he/we cannot keep making excuses. The Schenn trade was a glimmer of hope, but this feels very old Army to me.

This isn’t the worse situation we could be in, but it seems very neutral gear to me.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
So we downgraded form Stastny to Bozak and save only 1.5 million per year between them. And the David Perron experiment is literally GroundHog Day or maybe the never ending story.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
If I recall, there was a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth when the Schenn deal was announced, and I don't think any of us would take back that deal now that we've seen how he meshes with Schwartz and his play. I'll give Bozak the old eye ball test before I make any pronouncements. I suspect he'll be better offensively than Stastny but worse on the defensive side. Lets see how Tarasenko responds with a RHS to trigger him.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Both Perron and Bozak are second liners by production.

They aren't exciting signings, but I'm really not sure what people want. We didn't trade all our futures to make a desperate trade. We didn't overpay in UFA in terms or dollars or years.

If Fabbri returns to the player he was before his injury, and Thomas can be a 30 point player next season, we are a far better team than we were. Plus, we've added 3 righties to the lineup.

IMO, it's been a perfect summer for DA. He is trusting BA and the kids and not making any desperate moves. Meeting Buffalo's ridiculous asking price for a Stastny replacement would have been a desperate move.

Great job to DA for avoiding the sucker's bet.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
The roster has changed quite a bit in the last year. Let's see how the current construction is before passing judgement. This also can't be stated enough...we still have every single one of our prospects!

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I get a huge kick out of people complaining about this signing.

Lord knows they would have been whining big time if DA traded Kyrou for ROR.

They also would be throwing a fit if Armstrong stood pat and did nothing.

Maybe it’s mostly just fans on twitter but my god it gets annoying seeing this fanbase upset about every single move.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Not really a Bozac fan, but he played well enough with Phil the Thrill, and the contract is reasonable. I'd rather have him and our top prospects than O'Reilly, who will probably continue to sour on Buffalo and get traded eventually anyway.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I get a huge kick out of people complaining about this signing.

Lord knows they would have been whining big time if DA traded Kyrou for ROR.

They also would be throwing a fit if Armstrong stood pat and did nothing.

Maybe it’s mostly just fans on twitter but my god it gets annoying seeing this fanbase upset about every single move.

Some people won’t be happy until every player on our roster scores 80+ points, skates like Bure, takes no penalties and never hits anybody but also plays with grit and won’t let other players walk over them.

I agree, it’s super annoying.

Reactions: AjaxManifesto

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I’m happy with the decisions today. Too many problems to solve to dip into the prospect pool too deeply, unless you really like the return for the long run. Unless something changed in the last hour or so, can’t help but notice a trade has not happened anywhere, right? If so, that seems pretty indicative. So, what else on the FA market looks better right now based off who signed? Curious how James Neal settles, but he was looking for 6 years I heard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad