Confirmed with Link: Bozak to STL (3 years @ $5m)

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Was trolling through his highlight vids and noticed a hatty he scored against the Avs.

First off, hope there are more of those against the Avs specifically ('cause f*** em).

Secondly, the second goal he scored off of the Comeau turnover is what really stuck out. It speaks to his ability on the defensive side of the puck.

He and Steen would make a natural fit, since we've seen Steen make similar plays (that and they're both former Leafs, which is a nice coincidence :D).

Edit: Disregard that.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I really hope he didn’t change his number because of Backes. That would be lame.

Edit: he wore this number in college so I guess he always wanted 21.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
interesting. 21 is retired in Toronto so I guess maybe 42 wasn't his first choice there. Gonna be weird seeing a right handed #21

I just looked it up and he wore 21 at Denver so I stand by my guess

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
interesting. 21 is retired in Toronto so I guess maybe 42 wasn't his first choice there. Gonna be weird seeing a right handed #21

Jeff Brown says "Hello." :naughty:

Reactions: KirkOut

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

maxresdefault.jpg

Clipjoint

Jul 26, 2016

Did not JVR wear 21 in 2017?

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Imagine Roman Polak with reduced accuracy.
And a much harder shot.

Must have been 2016.
I KNOW he was wearing it in December 2015.
after some research, looks like he switched in 2016, when they retired Salming's number 21. Interesting. Looks like during Bozak's rookie year, former Blues great Jamal Mayers was wearing #21 for Toronto. I have updated my guess

Clipjoint

Jul 26, 2016
That's rather uncharitable. Brown was skilled offensive defenseman with "heavy shot" that made him real asset.
Oh, I am very aware of Brown's slapshot and other items which made him so usable in the offensive zone.
My point of irritation comes from his inability (and I use that term correctly) to maintain accuracy. Sergio Momesso would likely give up one of his goals in 1991 if it kept Brown from from causing a compression fracture on his leg. He was standing about 4 feet wide of the net.
Brown was skilled with a heavy shot, just no one was quite sure where it would go on release. Sort of like an upgraded Polak in that regard.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Someone on the trade boards pointed out that Riley Nash, (RHS), would have been cheaper than Bozak and better defensively. Worth mentioning, I think.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Someone on the trade boards pointed out that Riley Nash, (RHS), would have been cheaper than Bozak and better defensively. Worth mentioning, I think.

Well if the Blues had first rights on all players then that might be relevant but if Nash wanted to go to CBJ then I don’t see how that weighs on Bozak. Bozak wants to be here, there’s no evidence available to suspect that Nash was also that motivated to sign here and we like snubbed him in favor of Bozak or something. And even if that story came out, I would still be happy with our decision. Bozak’s career stats are waaaaay more consistent/reliable than Nash’s career year in BOS last year. I personally think Nash is very overrated.

It’s also worth noting... people seem to think we overpaid for Bozak, but (a) that happens in free agency, but even still it is maybe a few $100k over, it isn’t like some crazy/stupid overpayment (b) the term on his contract is reasonable, and (c) the cap has gone up a ton lately, and gone are the days when you pay middle-6 forwards $3mil and wonder if you’re getting your money’s worth when they put up 40-60 points. That just isn’t the way the world works anymore with a rising cap. For what we are going to ask from Bozak, $5mil is a very reasonable amount. It’s his job to live up to that, but today it isn’t anything to complain about

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Someone on the trade boards pointed out that Riley Nash, (RHS), would have been cheaper than Bozak and better defensively. Worth mentioning, I think
Accidentally deleted some.

Regardless. Riley Nash had been a 25 point player before his career year. In which he had 41.

Tyler Bozak had his worst year last year. A year in which he had 41 or 43 points can’t remember and on mobile so I will have to double check that.

Regardless, if Nash was our target to be a 2C we may as well have folded our hand before the season started. Bozak isn’t a strong option at 2C but he at least is capable offensively to put up numbers that could justify playing as so.

Nash is a downgrade on Berglund. Which says quite a bit especially due to Berglund being a whipping boy here. As constructed Nash would be our 4C and that is assuming Thomas isn’t already a better option than him which is highly likely.

Sometimes, cheaper isn’t better even when there is a smokescreen

Reactions: STLomacneko

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Accidentally deleted some.

Regardless. Riley Nash had been a 25 point player before his career year. In which he had 41.

Tyler Bozak had his worst year last year. A year in which he had 41 or 43 points can’t remember and on mobile so I will have to double check that.

Regardless, if Nash was our target to be a 2C we may as well have folded our hand before the season started. Bozak isn’t a strong option at 2C but he at least is capable offensively to put up numbers that could justify playing as so.

Nash is a downgrade on Berglund. Which says quite a bit especially due to Berglund being a whipping boy here. As constructed Nash would be our 4C and that is assuming Thomas isn’t already a better option than him which is highly likely.

Sometimes, cheaper isn’t better even when there is a smokescreen
Good post, agree with everything you stated, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what Bozak can do with decent 3rd line mates. I understand he's great on faceoffs as well, but it will be nice to have a 3C who consistently puts up 45-50 points a season which are usually 2C numbers here in STL.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
So thoughts on Bozak half way through the season?
During the summer I took some heat for being critical of both the Perron and Bozak signings. I was wrong about Perron and am happily eating my crow. I am completely justified in my dislike of the Bozak signing. He doesn't score. He doesn't hit. He doesn't defend. Apart from faceoffs, what exactly does he do? His contract is now a three-year boat anchor. Complete fail by Doug Armstrong.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
During the summer I took some heat for being critical of both the Perron and Bozak signings. I was wrong about Perron and am happily eating my crow. I am completely justified in my dislike of the Bozak signing. He doesn't score. He doesn't hit. He doesn't defend. Apart from faceoffs, what exactly does he do? His contract is now a three-year boat anchor. Complete fail by Doug Armstrong.

To be fair to Bozak he is on a 40 point pace which isn't that bad considering how terrible the entire team played in the first half. The biggest drawbacks for me have been his inability to help the PP and his contract number which is bad but not crippling and I believe will be moveable in its last year. Also with speculation that Schenn may not be in our future plans it is going to be nice having some veteran insulation for Thomas. Overall not a great signing but also not one I am going to crucify Army for. Falls right in the middle for me.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Didn't expect great defense, but I expected better offense, even though he's in a different role than what he had in Toronto.

Four PP points is completely unacceptable given the number of minutes he's had on the top PP unit this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad