Prospect Info: Bowen Byram - D [2019: 4th Overall] Part II: Now serving a side of overconfidence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I assume Byram will travel to the hub city as part of the team but IMO he will only play as a last resort unless he impresses so much at practice that he forces the team to play him.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I assume Byram will travel to the hub city as part of the team but IMO he will only play as a last resort unless he impresses so much at practice that he forces the team to play him.

Most likely, it’s possible they send him home after camp but I’d imagine it more beneficial to the club long term to have your top prospects there instead of sitting at home for months on end. The Avs will still have one or two extra vet defenseman before they’d be forced to go with a rookie.

The Avs keeping him around the team will give him a big jumpstart on camp in November. Same with Timmins.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Aren't there exhibition games? Surely it's their intention to give Byram a look in those games.

There are, but with them jumping straight into very meaningful games I wouldn’t be surprised if Bednar ices his starting roster. They might only be getting one exhibition game.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
I love me some Bo Byram right now. Hopefully the practices will allow him to learn the systems better, in case he is needed in the playoffs.

The crazy part about Cale last year is he was just thrown in and left to play his game, while the other players supported his lack of understanding. I do not think Bo would be successful in the same situation but this is a whole different situation and I think the kid could help if called upon.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I love me some Bo Byram right now. Hopefully the practices will allow him to learn the systems better, in case he is needed in the playoffs.

The crazy part about Cale last year is he was just thrown in and left to play his game, while the other players supported his lack of understanding. I do not think Bo would be successful in the same situation but this is a whole different situation and I think the kid could help if called upon.

I would be tempted to slide him in for Zadorov. We’ll see how Zads plays first, but I’d have that idea in my back pocket.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I would be tempted to slide him in for Zadorov. We’ll see how Zads plays first, but I’d have that idea in my back pocket.
Zadorov is usually a slow starter but he'd have to be really bad to be kept out of the playoffs. His size and hitting ability can be a big psychological factor in a playoff series, and really take a team off their game.

Reactions: MarkT and Avsboy

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Most likely, it’s possible they send him home after camp but I’d imagine it more beneficial to the club long term to have your top prospects there instead of sitting at home for months on end. The Avs will still have one or two extra vet defenseman before they’d be forced to go with a rookie.

The Avs keeping him around the team will give him a big jumpstart on camp in November. Same with Timmins.
Yeah I think it’s a pretty big deal to be included in this (hopefully) once in a lifetime experience and will be very disappointed if he’s not included. They also should recognize the need for talent on hand. Who knows what injury or illness situation might arise. Every time someone was called up this year it was “doesn’t matter they’ll never play” and they all did.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Sometimes I go to the main board even though I know I shouldn't.

HV4ujoI.png

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I actually prefer the kind of player Drysdale is over Byram but for the Avs right now Byram is the better fit. I do think he'll have a more difficult time transitioning to the NHL than Drysdale though.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I actually prefer the kind of player Drysdale is over Byram but for the Avs right now Byram is the better fit. I do think he'll have a more difficult time transitioning to the NHL than Drysdale though.

Drysdale’s skating is a definite notch above Byram’s and I can understand the argument for people that think he’ll be the better player.

Some believe he’s Makar 2.0 and I think that’s where they’ll be disappointed.

In terms of offensive skill, I don’t think Drysdale is any better than Byram. I just wonder if Drysdale’s speed will give him more scoring opportunities at the next level.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Drysdale’s skating is a definite notch above Byram’s and I can understand the argument for people that think he’ll be the better player.

Some believe he’s Makar 2.0 and I think that’s where they’ll be disappointed.

In terms of offensive skill, I don’t think Drysdale is any better than Byram. I just wonder if Drysdale’s speed will give him more scoring opportunities at the next level.
I think this and last year have both been pretty weak for dmen so I think the top dmen in turn get overrated a little.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think this and last year have both been pretty weak for dmen so I think the top dmen in turn get overrated a little.

Probably.

It’s always hard to say though. Analysts took a huge dump on the 2017 draft and there looks to be some really good talent coming out from that year.

But, yeah, none of the D from the past couple drafts are being touted even close to as highly as guys like Jones, Dahlin, Doughty, and Ekblad.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Probably.

It’s always hard to say though. Analysts took a huge dump on the 2017 draft and there looks to be some really good talent coming out from that year.

But, yeah, none of the D from the past couple drafts are being touted even close to as highly as guys like Jones, Dahlin, Doughty, and Ekblad.
Yeah and it's just a natural cycle as well. There will be drafts where forwards won't be very good as well. I just think this and last years draft will produce some good dmen but I don't think any elite top 10-15 type guys. But who the heck am I but some guy on a computer I could be totally wrong here :laugh:

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
IMO both Byram and Drysdale are better prospects at draft day than what Cale was as well. Now it's extremely unlikely they develop into the level of player Makar appears headed towards. But that's mostly because Cale is a freak who has enjoyed a pretty insane development curve.

I'm not sure either guy(Byram and Drysdale) become legit #1D in the league. Both probably have that upside but I dunno if either reaches it. Fortunately for the Avs we dont need Bowen to hit that. Unfortunately for whatever team that drafts Drysdale, they probably will need him to hit that upside(Unless it's Ottawa that drafts him).

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
The same guy who said Auston Matthews will only score 120 goals throughout his entire career said Byram is a bust? That's great news! Byram is a guaranteed superstar now.

Reactions: shadow1

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That dude has a history of horrible takes across multiple sports. I'd ignore him.
Agreed. The bloke is a looney and the worst aspect is he makes a million threads in the prospect section and never includes their Eliteprospect or HockeyDB profiles. He copies and pastes the stats from the site, but doesn't link anything. It's one of the weirdest things I've seen on this board.

Last edited:
Reactions: Balthazar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad