Prospect Info: Bowen Byram - D [2019: 4th Overall] Part II: Now serving a side of overconfidence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
When I think of a "shut down" defenseman, I always think of a stay-at-home type like Hjalmarsson, whose entire value comes from elite defense and you don't really care what kind of offense they provide. In that sense, I think it would be a waste to try to convert Byram into that kind of player. I may not be as high on his offensive potential as some, but he does have significant pop in that regard, and asking him to be conservative all the time would be wasting a large part of his value on the ice. Although he doesn't have the limitless talent of Makar to just do whatever he wants on the ice at the NHL level, he will be good enough to keep teams honest about keying in on his partner and occasionally pull of some sweet plays of his own.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Byram just needs confidence. Confidence and playing in the AHL for a year. Timmins is clearly ready for the big leagues, so we must renew the age old discussion: who goes, Graves or Zadorov?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
It shouldn't be an issue.

Even if we are very possibly going to have 4 absolute stud Dmen in a couple of years... One has to remember that there's generally only 2 guys that run a PP, and for Dmen especially that is where a lot of offensive production comes from, and so most likely 2 of our guys aren't going to be all that high end on the offensive output department and thus shouldn't be getting the super huge contracts either.

Cant forget Sammy G is already signed for the next 7 years at a pretty tremendous cap hit, a cap hit low enough that it already puts us in an excellent situation to have all 4 of Girard/Makar/Byram/Timmins here for 5-6-7+ years.

There's no controlling Makar's contract at this point either. Dude is just going to be an elite, top of the league point producer and will be paid as such. Safe to assume he gets in the 8-9M neighborhood on his next deal. But I dont think Byram or Timmins will be in that 50+ point club(I wouldn't even be sure they are regular 40 point guys given Cale is here), which means even if they develop well they likely only seem money in the same neighborhood of what Girard is getting.

So basically... If all 4 guys match expectations in 3 years time, it probably costs in the neighborhood of 25M for our Top 4 Defense. If you have cheap guys for the 5/6/7 spots it is definitely manageable.
It might be a bit early for this discussion, but what do you think the best approach is with Timmins' first contract in 2021?

I think there's two trains of thought:

On the one hand we could lock him in as cheap as possible with max term right off the bat (like Girard's contract), which given Timmins' injury history would be a bit of a risk, but it could turn into a steal if he can stay healthy. Given his concussion history he may also be inclined to sign for more term even at a lower AAV in order to protect his long-term financial security. Maybe Sakic will even take the Girard approach and try to sign him a year before his ELC ends.

On the other hand, we could aim to bridge him to protect ourselves from being stuck with an unmoveable contract if he turns into a vegetable, while also minimising his caphit during the prime cup window until 2023.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
On the other hand, we could aim to bridge him to protect ourselves from being stuck with an unmoveable contract if he turns into a vegetable, while also minimising his caphit during the prime cup window until 2023.

This is the best option. There's a chance he relapses. In the end I don't see Timmins putting up enough points to get north of $6 million anyway.

Reactions: Richard88

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Byram just needs confidence. Confidence and playing in the AHL for a year. Timmins is clearly ready for the big leagues, so we must renew the age old discussion: who goes, Graves or Zadorov?

Maybe both. Zadorov this offseason in trade and Graves to Seattle in expansion.

Reactions: Avsboy

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Maybe both. Zadorov this offseason in trade and Graves to Seattle in expansion.
I wonder if Graves might be traded already this offseason (for a top 6 forward).

Girard --- Johnson
Byram --- Makar
Cole ------ Timmins

Alternatively,... Timmins and Makar have been paired together before (at the WJC) and Timmins is looking good right now so maybe that could be a possible pairing until Byram gets up to speed...

Girard --- Johnson
Timmins - Makar
Byram ---- Cole

Kind unconventional to play two Dmen on their off-sides but purely in terms of the role Graves is playing I think Timmins could be a decent short-term replacement in that role.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I wonder if Graves might be traded already this offseason (for a top 6 forward).

Girard --- Johnson
Byram --- Makar
Cole ------ Timmins

Alternatively,... Timmins and Makar have been paired together before (at the WJC) and Timmins is looking good right now so maybe that could be a possible pairing until Byram gets up to speed...

Girard --- Johnson
Timmins - Makar
Byram ---- Cole

Kind unconventional to play two Dmen on their off-sides but purely in terms of the role Graves is playing I think Timmins could be a decent short-term replacement in that role.

I can’t see them going that young when their very much in a window to compete. They’ll probably phase Byram and Timmins in separately.

Reactions: Perratrooper

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Pretty sure Timmins will be the better player next year and I doubt the Avs will have both rookies playing.

Byram will probably have to wait until 21-22.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
A good article on Byram from Clark

Anything is possible at this point when it comes to the Avs...

Some quotes from Bednar and the Giants GM:

“Everything is on the table at this point,” Avalanche coach Jared Bednar offered when asked about Byram’s chances. “I am aware of the season he had. In fact, I talked to Bo about it yesterday with what he thought of his season. He was really starting to elevate his game when the pause started. Felt he and his teammates were getting to a good spot and were disappointed to be put on pause. But he has worked hard since that point.
“I think we saw an average camp out of him last year and he knows what to expect from our practices and our camp as well.”

“It was literally next level,” Parneta said of Byram’s February performances. “It was almost unconscious. He was playing out of his mind and it came so easy for him at that point. Every time Bo touched the puck, I thought we had a chance to score. It was a man amongst children with the way he was playing.”

“He looks more comfortable out there and I think we’re seeing – already after two days – a player that is more ready to be here and help make an impact,” Bednar of Byram and his stint with the team. “We’re going to keep everything open here and we’re going to continue to evaluate him here.”

“Joe is going to keep watching. We will keep watching him as a coaching staff and then we’ll make decisions on Phase 4 when the time comes,” Bednar said. “At this point, we haven’t made any decisions. It’s an option he comes to Edmonton with us and it’s an option that he doesn’t. We’ll just have to see how everything goes over the next little bit and use as much time as we possibly need to try and decide on that roster.”

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Sounds like hes outgrown the WHL. He needs a new challenge if hes going to grow into the player we drafted at #4. Its too bad he couldn't go to the AHL this past season.

The AHL would be perfect for him, tougher competition, playing in the Avs systems, and only an hour up the road whenever the Avs needed him. Stupid rules, he should have already had a year with the Eagles under his belt.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Hopefully he decides to go play in Europe. He needs to play professional hockey and get pushed around a bit. I'd also love to see him tear up the U20 after playing a few months of pro hockey. Show all of the HF haters some of that offensive game he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad