Not open for further replies.

Matt Roberts

May 26, 2019
Honestly, would anyone have a problem seeing

Byram Makar
Girard Toews
Graves Timmins/EJ
EJ/Timmins

I like the chemistry between G and Toews.
If nothing else, it would be fun to watch. I'd like to see them fully commit to the kids:

Toews-Makar
Girard-Timmins
Byram-EJ
Graves

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
He's exceeded my expectations for his first 2 games, by far tbh. What's exciting is that he still clearly has a lot of room to develop physically. Not a surprise I guess considering he's only 19 but it sure is exciting to think of what kind of player he can be once he's filled out.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
They cut it off before they show the zone exit, but Byram showed some really good evasiveness here in the defensive zone after pulling the puck off the goal line.

Not quite Girard-level, but very good.

Last edited:

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
They cut it off before they show the zone exit, but Byram showed some really good evasiveness here in the defensive zone after pulling the puck off the goal line.

Byram was great last night, but blowing his coverage on this play lead to the scoring chance. It was his biggest mistake last night

Reactions: Matt Roberts

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Byram was great last night, but blowing his coverage on this play lead to the scoring chance. It was his biggest mistake last night

I am not sure that I would place blame on Byram for this play. Mack turned it over coming out of the zone and Rants, Girard, and Landy were all caught up ice. Byram raced to the Ducks player because the Ducks player had Landy beat and would otherwise be coming in alone on Grubs. Mack was also gliding on the back check and not showing much effort if we are being honest.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah there was more going on that play. Altitude had a nice montage of some of Bo’s passing and work in the D zone I wish there was a clip of. He’s of course going to have to grow in that area and completely understand the coverage system but he’s held his own.

I also noticed on thing on team Canada is that they wanted both D to attack the puck carrier. That’s obv not how you do it in the NHL so I think that will be an adjustment but not in inherent flaw for Byram.

I find it interesting they tried Byram with Girard more last night and I think it went well. His minutes with Makar were +7/-0 as far as Corsi goes so that’s been a good match too.

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Yeah there was more going on that play. Altitude had a nice montage of some of Bo’s passing and work in the D zone I wish there was a clip of. He’s of course going to have to grow in that area and completely understand the coverage system but he’s held his own.

I find it interesting they tried Byram with Girard more last night and I think it went well. His minutes with Makar were +7/-0 as far as Corsi goes so that’s been a good match too.

Small sample size of course, but Byram/Makar have looked great to me any time they’ve been on the ice together. Agreed, that he and Girard looked good strong too.

My guess is that they’ll play Byram with EJ when he’s fully up to speed, but I hope Bednar can still find a way to get Byram and Makar some shifts together.

Toews/Makar seems to be clicking better than it was earlier in the year, so that opens up options too.

Last edited:

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
I liked seeing that Bednar had no reservations about bumping Byram up the line up when Graves was having an awful game. I more or less expect Byram to be back on the bottom pair again next game, but it's good to know that for the time being, at least, there is a d man on our bottom pairing that can be moved up a slot if/when one of our top4 struggles for a game

Reactions: Perratrooper

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Small sample size of course, but Byram/Makar have looked great to me any time they’ve been on the ice together. Agreed, that he and Girard looked good string too.

My guess is that they’ll play Byram with EJ when he’s fully up to speed, but I hope Bednar can still find a way to get Byram and Makar some shifts together.

Toews/Makar seems to be clicking better than it was earlier in the year, so that opens up options too.
Byram- Makar will get shifts and Toews- Johnson will get shifts.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
And Girard can either play with Graves or Timmins.

Although I don't see any reason why Girard can't play with Makar or Toews or Johnson or... Byram. G can play with anyone :nod:

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

Many coaches in the league bench a rookie for that. Bednar gave Bo more minutes. Its the reason why many of the young players on this team have developed well.

But this might also be why the Avs struggle with bigger teams who play a tight defensive game and capitalize on mistakes...

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Byram’s skill and skating have translated better than I expected so far in his limited sample size, and I think it’s because he’s also been smarter and calmer than I expected a 19 year old to be stepping from junior into the NHL. It’s definitely been a help that he’s up to game speed from the WJC already.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I think Bednar should look at replacing Kadri on PP1. Add Byram to the point, and have Landy take the draws. Kadri doesn’t do anything useful, and Byram is more creative, and a better passer. He can also sneak down low if we want to use the bumper play.

Mack-Landy-Rants

Byram-Makar

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
I think Bednar should look at replacing Kadri on PP1. Add Byram to the point, and have Landy take the draws. Kadri doesn’t do anything useful, and Byram is more creative, and a better passer. He can also sneak down low if we want to use the bumper play.

Mack-Landy-Rants

Byram-Makar
How would you setup the PP if Byram replaced Kadri? Currently Rants is on the right side, Mack on the left side, and Makar at the top. When you add Byram where do you put him? Or do you reconfigure the powerplay altogether with him on the first unit?

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
How would you setup the PP if Byram replaced Kadri? Currently Rants is on the right side, Mack on the left side, and Makar at the top. When you add Byram where do you put him? Or do you reconfigure the powerplay altogether with him on the first unit?
You reconfigure it. Byram would start at the point, with Mack on the wall. Byram could then float down to the slot or fill in on the wall as Mack moves around. Mack tends to float from the wall, to the point, to the far side anyway. Kadri kinda just stood in the slot/wall. Byram could be more of a “rover”

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
I would think it would look like the #2 PP currently does. Where the D men up top are moving and creating plays while the forwards are crashing the net/ screening.

You can mix who is playing up top. Like have MacK play up top with Byram and let Makar sneak down low.

But #1 PP is just everyone stand at their spot and pass back and forth currently.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC

Reconfigure. Shift to a focus on up-tempo movement and cycling and force that 5 to move the puck around better. Let Byram (or G) and Makar feed off each other and really drive the action.

Take what regularly works so well against a 5man unit and terrorize teams PKers with it. That top unit should be skating teams into the ground (assuming they manage to enter the zone).

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Mack-Landy-Rants

Byram-Makar
Here here. This move alone forces Nathan to think shot more, it puts Landeskog where hes most effective and it adds someone who can play catch with Makar on the point. I would say use Toews on that unit but his chemistry with Girard on the second unit I dont wanna mess with.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Here here. This move alone forces Nathan to think shot more, it puts Landeskog where hes most effective and it adds someone who can play catch with Makar on the point. I would say use Toews on that unit but his chemistry with Girard on the second unit I dont wanna mess with.
Yah. Have Mack/Makar/Byram moving around with Landy in front, and Rantanen as a trigger man. I’d like to see that

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Count me in with testing Byram on PP1.

Byram on that unit would unshackle Makar from this static game he's playing on the point, as Byram's 'rover' movement would force some movement and make the powerplay a lot more dynamic.

Kadri would also give the 2nd unit another high end scoring threat, because right now the likes of Compher/Donskoi/Saad aren't really bringing much (yes I know Donskoi scored but that was more to do with Girard's genius and was on a plate, anyone would have scored that).

-------------- Landeskog ------------
Mackinnon -------------- Rantanen
-------- Byram -------- Makar ------

-------------- Nichuskin -------------
Kadri ------------------- Burakovsky
------- Girard ------- Toews ---------

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Count me in with testing Byram on PP1.

Byram on that unit would unshackle Makar from this static game he's playing on the point, as Byram's 'rover' movement would force some movement and make the powerplay a lot more dynamic.

Kadri would also give the 2nd unit another high end scoring threat, because right now the likes of Compher/Donskoi/Saad aren't really bringing much (yes I know Donskoi scored but that was more to do with Girard's genius and was on a plate, anyone would have scored that).

-------------- Landeskog ------------
Mackinnon -------------- Rantanen
-------- Byram -------- Makar ------

-------------- Nichuskin -------------
Kadri ------------------- Burakovsky
------- Girard ------- Toews ---------
Those are both very nice PP lineups.

Reactions: Richard88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events