Proposal: Bottom line guys do we believe Krug is a #1D?

Assuming Krug is a #1D should we go all-in to sign him?

• Total voters

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
On our team he is most definitely a #1D..on a good team, no.

I'd sign him assuming he's not looking for anything outrageous. I think we are a playoff bubble team in 2 more seasons, so he'd only be 31 when in my mind we are ready to compete. Assuming he ages well, and we are in fact a bubble team in 2 years time, we could roll out a D like:

Krug-Seider
Wallinder-Hronek
Cholowski-Lindstrom
McIsaac

then have prospects like Johansson, Tuomisto, Viro and Sebrango eventually being added to the mix. If these guys all reach their potential, we could have a nice, mobile group of defencemen.

Mark my words, Cholowski is going to find himself off the team by the trade deadline this year.

With the defensemen we've drafted over the last 2 years there won't be a spot for him on our team

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Just looked... Rafalski was 34 when he got a 5 year $30 million contract from us... crazy

Maybe a 6-7 yr $7 million a year contract from Krug is not that bad

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Were people this against signing Rafalski?

Are you asking if people were against adding a veteran D to a 113-point team that tied for the President's Cup and advanced to the Conference finals because you think that's a similar situation to adding a veteran D to a team that finished dead last in the NHL, and will likely not be competitive for most of the duration of his contract? Or for some other reason?

Just trying to understand why Rafalski's relevant, here.

Reactions: jkutswings

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I mean lets say we do that... and we finish near last the next 1-2 years.... Is it worth it? Does it matter all that much?
Does Krug even help us win games??

Short answer: Yes.

longer answer: he is a high puck mover with + skills as a PP QB. He’ll take pressure off the young players, provide great leadership based off his experience playing for a contender, and help get a little more out of Mantha, Zadina, Larkin, Hronek, etc

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Similar player, that's all. Undersized PP QB leaving East Coast team to return to Michigan.

Yes, the Wings suck now, but if you can add a good player that wants to be there...

Just looked... Rafalski was 34 when he got a 5 year $30 million contract from us... crazy

Maybe a 6-7 yr $7 million a year contract from Krug is not that bad

Yeah, that's my line of thinking bringing it up.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
No, because we had Lidstrom to pair him with.

So you don't sign good players unless you have the perfect players already in place?

Given Krug's age compared to Rafalski, we'd have 5 years to add a partner for Krug for the analogy to come full circle.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Mark my words, Cholowski is going to find himself off the team by the trade deadline this year.

With the defensemen we've drafted over the last 2 years there won't be a spot for him on our team

Yeah I could see it. I'm not really a fan either. The guy can skate, but he is a turnover machine. I wouldn't be shocked either if he's gone soon.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Are you asking if people were against adding a veteran D to a 113-point team that tied for the President's Cup and advanced to the Conference finals because you think that's a similar situation to adding a veteran D to a team that finished dead last in the NHL, and will likely not be competitive for most of the duration of his contract? Or for some other reason?

I'm not sure if being a Cup contender is relevant.

I mean for one thing we should be aiming to be a Cup contender in 3 years, whether it's likely or not. And Krug will only be 32 then.

Secondly the Cup isn't the only goal. Krug will be on the ice with whatever young people we're putting our stock in. If he's helping them win games, he's helping them grow as players.

Even though Mike Green didn't win us any awards I think our young forwards benefitted from playing with him in a way that they never would have if they had to spend all their time on the ice with Brendan Smith or whoever. They need on-ice experience with someone who knows what they're doing, even if that someone will be gone by the time they can win a Cup.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Rafalski worked also well with Ericsson.

Where does this lunatism grow from in this discussion?

Don't sign anybody! :facepalm: Everything must be bad signing!

Only 23-year old UFAs are accepted! :surrender

I'm with you on this one.

Note how Vancouver has kept Edler throughout their rebuild process and as a return to contender.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Similar player, that's all. Undersized PP QB leaving East Coast team to return to Michigan.

Yes, the Wings suck now, but if you can add a good player that wants to be there...

I guess they just feel like completely separate things - if this team were 3 years further along, I think the vast majority of folks would be really, really excited for a Krug-type player. But I think, on a team this bad and this far from being relevant?

It's also really tough to believe that Krug will, like Rafalski did, defy aging and continue to play at a high level in his mid-thirties when this team will need him. Signing a guy who blows up and has 3x$8m or whatever left is how you hamstring your rebuild, just when it's supposed to be ending.

Either way, I don't think any of the Wings signings pre-2015 are really a good comparable here.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I'm not sure if being a Cup contender is relevant.

You're not sure if being a cup contender is relevant to the kinds of signings a team should be making? That's... an interesting take on building a team.

I mean for one thing we should be aiming to be a Cup contender in 3 years, whether it's likely or not. And Krug will only be 32 then.

Sorry to quote snipe, but I think there are different issues, here. I think it's a massive, massive mistake to approach UFA like you're a cup contender, when you're coming off one of the worst seasons in franchise history, and everything you have is, realistically, sill a big fat maybe. This isn't a team, for instance, that should be signing depth guys as the final pieces and pushing guys like Zadina and Hronek into minimal minutes, like you'd do if you were, say, Tampa.

And 32 is old. How many players are still playing at 32 the way they played at 29?

Secondly the Cup isn't the only goal. Krug will be on the ice with whatever young people we're putting our stock in. If he's helping them win games, he's helping them grow as players.

Will he be doing that for 7 years, or whatever terms is required to sign him? I'm all in if he wants to come for a 3 year deal, and a possible extension if he ages well. All in. And, I'd expect, a lot of other folks would be, too.

But a third pair Krug with 3 years left on his deal at $7-8m is the kind of player that will prevent the team from winning if he doesn't age well. I think this goes back to the contending argument - if you're a team with almost all the pieces in place, then potentially screwing yourself next year to win a cup this year is 100% reasonable. If you're a team with no pieces in place (yet), then gambling on a player beating the aging odds so you can be a little less bad now seems like a poor trade off.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
simple answer he is not a #1D and should not be signed because he will want #1D money and term.

Krug was never a good fit for this team and thank you for the poll showing the percentage of posters that do not understand rebuilds. :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad