Proposal: Bottom line guys do we believe Krug is a #1D?

Assuming Krug is a #1D should we go all-in to sign him?

• Total voters

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'm worried about his contract and the fact that we're going to be bad another few years regardless. In 2 years I'll be happy to start making moves like this but I don't think we're ready.

I do think he is a borderline 1D today. Would be a great PPQB

Reactions: njx9

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
He's not even a #2D. His offense (mostly PP production from TOI on a loaded B's squad) is #1D. 5on5, not so much...But, his D is a #5 at best. So average the 2 & you get a avg. #3...that wants 7yrs & $7-$8M :laugh::skeptic:

(on our team he'd be the best Dman, but that's not saying much)

Last edited:
Reactions: odin1981

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
On this team he is absolutely the runaway #1, but realistically he is a #2 who would be awesomely paired with a Pietrangelo type on top pair.

Reactions: golffuul

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I voted no because I dont think he is a #1 D man, and I wouldnt "go all in" to sign him. With that said, I would make him an offer, but what I would offer probably wouldnt land him.
Totally agree. Pietrangelo is the only big fish I'd really pursue. Otherwise add a second pair guy, a goalie, and then use some cap space to add more draft ammo. (I'd be very happy if Detroit acts as a third party to add one or more first round picks.)

Reactions: njx9 and kliq

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Totally agree. Pietrangelo is the only big fish I'd really pursue. Otherwise add a second pair guy, a goalie, and then use some cap space to add more draft ammo. (I'd be very happy if Detroit acts as a third party to add one or more first round picks.)
If only a 2nd pair guy, kinda like a Torey Krug type, was available.

Oh wait, Torey Krug is a Torey Krug type!

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He is NOT overall 1D.

But he is Elite PP 1D and Elite transition 1D.

At 2009-11.

Lidström was 1D and Rafalski 2D.

Cap was ~56M.

Liström was paid 7.45M and Rafalski 6M.

Under 81.5M, the relative numbers are:

- Lidström 10.8M (becoming Pietrangelo money)
- Rafalski 8.7M

If we are gonna get Krug - we are gonna get him cheaper than Rafalski was vs. cap.

It's just mathematics.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I'd make an offer to him, we clearly have room to improve and still be a lottery team lol

He doesn't have to be a 1d he just needs to fix our powerplay

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If only a 2nd pair guy, kinda like a Torey Krug type, was available.

Oh wait, Torey Krug is a Torey Krug type!
I mean a steady but unremarkable guy who deserves a $4Mx3 kinda deal. Not some $7Mx7 contract for a guy who's one dimensional.

Just looking for a legit warm body to hold the fort until the kids develop more. Krug isn't worth splashing on unless you're a Torey Krug away from Cup contention.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Quite a loaded question and maybe not the right one.

In what sense do you mean?

Is he a 1D now? 3 years from? 5? For what kind of team? What is your definition of 1D?

Right now-Sure. On a good chunk of teams, including ours, he can be a first pairing guy.
3 years from now-Probably start to see him decline but will still be a good defenseman that you want to have.
5 years-His worth will probably be quite a bit less at this point.

So 2/3 years of top line production, 2 or so more of good play and then he's likely just meh from then on out. That's not going to sound attractive to most people. But I've said it before, at some point we have to try and make some improvement. By the time Krug is on the decline, guys like Seider, Johansson, Wallinder etc should be at the point that the slack will be picked up. Eventually we have to invest in putting better players around these young guys to aid in their development even if those guys will be washed up by the time we are next in contention. It doesn't have to be Krug but man it's got to be somebody.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I mean a steady but unremarkable guy who deserves a $4Mx3 kinda deal. Not some $7Mx7 contract for a guy who's one dimensional.

Just looking for a legit warm body to hold the fort until the kids develop more. Krug isn't worth splashing on unless you're a Torey Krug away from Cup contention.
...don't we have enough unremarkable guys on defense:laugh:

Seriously, a 7x7 contract would not be amazing.. but dammit I don't think we should lean on Hronek to drive all the offense from the backend, or expect Seider to carry a pairing singlehandedly from day 1, and let these kids develop without any significant help. I want to add a steady but unremarkable guy when we are a #4 or #5D away from looking real solid. I don't want us to only add #4-5Ds and wait 5-6 years for one of the kids to develop into something better.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
...don't we have enough unremarkable guys on defense:laugh:

Seriously, a 7x7 contract would not be amazing.. but dammit I don't think we should lean on Hronek to drive all the offense from the backend, or expect Seider to carry a pairing singlehandedly from day 1, and let these kids develop without any significant help. I want to add a steady but unremarkable guy when we are a #4 or #5D away from looking real solid. I don't want us to only add #4-5Ds and wait 5-6 years for one of the kids to develop into something better.
I get that. I just think Krug would be a very disappointing $7Mx7 on this team. I see little difference between him in 2020 and Mike Green in 2015, and I would have been livid if the Wings had given Green a 7 year deal when they first brought him here.

Pietrangelo is an all-situations stud, so if they want a splash, then chase a guy worth chasing. I would also be ok with somebody like Brodie. Otherwise, stay prudent for another year on defense, and find a decent goalie as our upgrade for this coming season.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
#3-4 D, PP1 quarterback. 19-21 minutes a night.

I think Krug is what he is. The guy will never be a defensive stalwart, but pairing him with a solid defensive guy could help us tilt the ice because he moves the puck very well out of the zone. He will just need someone to help him get the puck in our zone.

We are likely to get 3 good production years from him. There's always the possibility of moving him in the future when he has less term on his contract. It could be a situation where 3-4 years from now we're trading Krug and a 2nd for future considerations to a basement team, or Krug for a 2nd to a contender looking for defensive depth. I think it's worth the gamble at 5 years.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
On our team he is most definitely a #1D..on a good team, no.

I'd sign him assuming he's not looking for anything outrageous. I think we are a playoff bubble team in 2 more seasons, so he'd only be 31 when in my mind we are ready to compete. Assuming he ages well, and we are in fact a bubble team in 2 years time, we could roll out a D like:

Krug-Seider
Wallinder-Hronek
Cholowski-Lindstrom
McIsaac

then have prospects like Johansson, Tuomisto, Viro and Sebrango eventually being added to the mix. If these guys all reach their potential, we could have a nice, mobile group of defencemen.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I absolutely do NOT want Krug.

Sure he provides offence on the PP with all the stars Boston has... I wonder how much he would produce here.

As far as I'm concerned if you wonder if Barrie is worth having on a team (See how he did in Colorado vs Toronto)... I see Krug as the same mold of player.

I would honestly prefer a super safe no offensive D man like Brodie over Krug... hopefully at a much cheaper price tag.

Overall I do not want to sign any FA who is not quite young 27 or under.

Reactions: njx9

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I definitely want Krug, but I also wouldn’t go long term. 3 or 4 years at 8.5-9 million

I mean lets say we do that... and we finish near last the next 1-2 years.... Is it worth it? Does it matter all that much?
Does Krug even help us win games??

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Yes

giphy.gif

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad