Botta: If Belmont stalls, Islanders have option to play in Coliseum for two extra years

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I trust Lou Lamoriello 100%. He pretty much, after sitting in on meetings, guaranteed it’s gonna happen. I’m not worried at all. This is no longer the Wang Era, or any other era before that. We have REAL owners and REAL leadership. Belmont is gonna happen. The target was the 21-22season, Lou said he wouldn’t be shocked if it was ready sooner.

“I think you’ll know better in the first of the year of an exact date,” Lamoriello said on Sirius XM NHL Network Radio. “But it’s not as long as people might think. I think a lot will be surprised and I think that’s just great news.”

“There’s no question it will be built,” Lamoriello said of the Belmont Park arena. “I was recently in a meeting and I felt so excited because of not only the plans I’d seen before I went in there but all the participants in all the different areas that are working together with it to get it accomplished. There’s no question this will be something extraordinary for the fans and the players.”
As long as that mope in Albany gets re-elected we’ll be fine.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Why does it take me an hour to an hour and a half from Suffolk County but it's taking him two and a half hours to get to Barclays when it's not peak? I still feel like these guys exaggerate their commute and are being babies about it.

They definitely do. I’m not saying it’s easy but it’s definitely not 2 hours unless he’s biking down Atlantic Avenue to Barclays lol

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Why does it take me an hour to an hour and a half from Suffolk County but it's taking him two and a half hours to get to Barclays when it's not peak? I still feel like these guys exaggerate their commute and are being babies about it.
I thought he meant round trip.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I thought he meant round trip.
My dad had a 2+ hour total commute from Lake Carmel to Pelham Manor for over 30 freaking years. The rags players in Westchester have the same goddamned thing. Lou wants to change the culture? Here's a free idea: anyone who cries and complains about the commute to the media gets a one way trip to Bridgeport. I'm sick of this bullshit that feeds into the narative that this team is the Siberia of hockey that nobody should go to unless forced at gunpoint. That shit has to stop.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
My dad had a 2+ hour total commute from Lake Carmel to Pelham Manor for over 30 freaking years. The rags players in Westchester have the same goddamned thing. Lou wants to change the culture? Here's a free idea: anyone who cries and complains about the commute to the media gets a one way trip to Bridgeport. I'm sick of this bull**** that feeds into the narative that this team is the Siberia of hockey that nobody should go to unless forced at gunpoint. That **** has to stop.
No disrespect but if your dad or my dad (bus from Queens Village to 179th St, E train to 34th then walk to 29th St & 11th ave) had skills in demand then they wouldn’t have had to make the commutes they did. Players will choose the best situation for themselves. In case you haven’t noticed, high end players don’t choose the Islanders for a multitude of reasons, arena situation being one of them.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
No disrespect but if your dad or my dad (bus from Queens Village to 179th St, E train to 34th then walk to 29th St & 11th ave) had skills in demand then they wouldn’t have had to make the commutes they did. Players will choose the best situation for themselves. In case you haven’t noticed, high end players don’t choose the Islanders for a multitude of reasons, arena situation being one of them.
The 2 arenas thing is one thing but almost every Rangers player has the same exact commute time from Westchester to MSG and no Rangers player has ever pissed and moaned about it. This is also true for numerous teams. I'm sick of players here crying about it, particularly one who completely sucks and should just be thankful to have a spot on an NHL roster.

Reactions: Strummergas

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The 2 arenas thing is one thing but almost every Rangers player has the same exact commute time from Westchester to MSG and no Rangers player has ever pissed and moaned about it. This is also true for numerous teams. I'm sick of players here crying about it, particularly one who completely sucks and should just be thankful to have a spot on an NHL roster.
Have you seen the Rangers record the last 7 years? Then compare it to the Isles. Any semifinals appearances for us lately? Right now I aspire to lose in the Finals.

That’s why players chose the Rags over the Isles. Other than a chance to live on Long Island what have the Islanders offered a free agent to make the commute to Brooklyn worth tolerating?

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Have you seen the Rangers record the last 7 years? Then compare it to the Isles. Any semifinals appearances for us lately? Right now I aspire to lose in the Finals.

That’s why players chose the Rags over the Isles. Other than a chance to live on Long Island what have the Islanders offered a free agent to make the commute to Brooklyn worth tolerating?
But that's besides the point. None of them complain about the same commute. Even when they were garbage nobody complained about it. Teams throughout hockey have significant commutes from their practice facilities to the arena yet the only team in the entire league you hear people complain about it is this one. It's ridiculous and it needs to stop.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
But that's besides the point. None of them complain about the same commute. Even when they were garbage nobody complained about it. Teams throughout hockey have significant commutes from their practice facilities to the arena yet the only team in the entire league you hear people complain about it is this one. It's ridiculous and it needs to stop.

Exactly this. Why is this commute thing such an issue with the Isles, when other professional organizations across many sports have similar commutes.

“Google map” the Isles practice facility to the Barclays. Then do the same for the Rangers and MSG. I’ve done it and posted the results here. Its a difference of a mile or so.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It’s not besides the point, IT IS THE POINT. When the team doesn’t win and has had shit ownership and management since before these players were born, there is no reason to come here to tolerate the commute when they could have signed with the Rags or the Kings or Lightning and had a chance to win while they’re spending an hour to get to the rink.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
"

I have been taking the lirr from Hicksville to Penn Station and back 5,6, sometimes 7 days a week for almost 30 years. This clutterdick can gtfo yesterday. It's not like his play makes any difference on our team. He overvalues his importance to the team. Maybe it's the contract $$$ amount ? Just tirrable ( Charles Barkley). The going through the motions gang can go now. I'm sure we can find someone else to shoot high blocker wide off the glass.

LGI

Reactions: Strummergas

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY

I hope this turd gets traded to the Rags, love to hear him complain alot of his teammates do a similar trek from Westchester , Rockland ot Jersey..please Pajamas miss your juniors buddy

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

The major difference is that the Islanders players had an EASY commute until the move to Barclays. If a player signed with the Islanders due to the "country club atmosphere", having a longer commute to and from games was not what they signed up for. The Rangers commute has been that way from Day 1 for every player on that roster. They knew what they were getting into.

I too have long grown tired about the players bitching about the commute, but it's not like they're going to have to worry about it after 2/28/19. I'm convinced that's the last Islanders hockey game that will ever be played at Barclays Center. Starting in March, they'll be at the Coliseum full-time until Belmont is done.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
The major difference is that the Islanders players had an EASY commute until the move to Barclays. If a player signed with the Islanders due to the "country club atmosphere", having a longer commute to and from games was not what they signed up for. The Rangers commute has been that way from Day 1 for every player on that roster. They knew what they were getting into.

I too have long grown tired about the players *****ing about the commute, but it's not like they're going to have to worry about it after 2/28/19. I'm convinced that's the last Islanders hockey game that will ever be played at Barclays Center. Starting in March, they'll be at the Coliseum full-time until Belmont is done.

I'm convinced of that as well. I don't see a split at the Barclays after this year.

Plus Cuomo won the primary. So I'm sure that ***hole will win his re-election bid again. Can't believe I'm actually happy that he won. Only solace is that politics won't stop Belmont from being built now.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

I too have long grown tired about the players *****ing about the commute, but it's not like they're going to have to worry about it after 2/28/19. I'm convinced that's the last Islanders hockey game that will ever be played at Barclays Center. Starting in March, they'll be at the Coliseum full-time until Belmont is done.
True but Clutterbuck re-signed with NYI when they were already in Brooklyn. Full time. He too knew what he was getting into.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Some people are just sensitive to a crappy commute. I'm that way. I spent the first 7 years of my career living 3 miles from work. Now I'm in a city where most people live 20-50 miles from work but I live only 14. I'm willing to pay the extra money just because I cannot stand sitting in traffic. I don't understand to be honest why everyone just doesn't bite the bullet on a more expensive cost of living to avoid traffic. I think anyone who puts themselves through that is insane.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Some people are just sensitive to a crappy commute. I'm that way. I spent the first 7 years of my career living 3 miles from work. Now I'm in a city where most people live 20-50 miles from work but I live only 14. I'm willing to pay the extra money just because I cannot stand sitting in traffic. I don't understand to be honest why everyone just doesn't bite the bullet on a more expensive cost of living to avoid traffic. I think anyone who puts themselves through that is insane.
Clutterbuck makes $3.5M a year. Whining about an hour commute that he has to make 20 times a year is ridiculous. Working stiffs, many who are Islander fans and make 40 times LESS, make that commute HUNDREDS of times a year.

An overpaid, underacheiving, out off touch millionaire complaining about having to commute to play hockey for a living. Idiot.

Reactions: nycole

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
I still don't understand why they can't take a team bus to Barclays. Westbound traffic is still manageable until about 4PM.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I still don't understand why they can't take a team bus to Barclays. Westbound traffic is still manageable until about 4PM.
Clutterbuck can hire a driver and he can nap the whole way. It's ridiculous that he's even mentioning the commute.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00